Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The London "Heads up" thread

simonc

Practically Family
West London. I was thinking of booking a table in a pub upstairs for the evening. Maybe something closer to xmas, blame it on the shopping, but if it works perhaps we could keep it going. If you or anyone seconds the idea I'll start a thread and then we can work from that.

A few of us will have to meet up in the next couple weeks anyway so maybe attach something to that? Dates are uncertain as we are dictated to by delivery schedules, but once I have taken the delivery, we should be able to work something out pretty quick.

I don't think bookings are necessary. We've always got by on "turning up". I navigate London based on pub location, so can usually find one that's pretty empty, preferably Sam Smiths. My haunts, other than north-east, tend to be Bloomsbury and Soho/Noho and the West End, widely defined.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I was in Levisons on Cheshire Street today. They have a number of larger size vintage suits - including one early 1960s suit in a lovely Donegal Tweed. There are also a few jackets and coats that have been nicely reduced, including a couple of nice 1940s RN duffel coats (too large for you I'm afraid BK).

There's a lovely 1930s light weight colonial jacket (made in Rangoon, Burma) but it's not cheap and the condition is a bit rough. It's just nice too see early British lightweight stuff.

House of Vintage (on the opposite side of Cheshire Street) also have a number of larger size suits.

It was odd to see so many big suits, when I normally only find small ones. Sod's law: I was shopping for my teenage son and thus, for once, I actually wanted small stuff.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I was in Levisons on Cheshire Street today. They have a number of larger size vintage suits - including one early 1960s suit in a lovely Donegal Tweed. There are also a few jackets and coats that have been nicely reduced, including a couple of nice 1940s RN duffel coats.

I used to live in that part of the world when it was known as Kray Kountry, because of the notorious Kray Twins.

My wife wants to visit the vintage market that's held at Spitalfields once a month. Have you, or any lounger been to this market? Is it worth a visit, or is it more of a 'retro' sort of thing? To explain what I am getting at: Years ago, Petticoat Lane was well worth a visit, today, it's just for tourists, although Blooms still do the best hot salt beef sandwich in London.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Is that the market on Thursdays? I went there once and it was a bit mixed - some good pieces, some rubbish and plenty of battered French workwear. But I'm certainly not a regular. Others will know more about it.

There are a few good sellers. That's where I got my early 50s Japanese suit. The vintage hat seller is a wonderful rags to riches story. A chap who was homeless and loved wearing hats, got some help to start buying and selling vintage hats and has his twin stalls in the market now. He has some REALLY nice old European hats for sale and a constantly rotating stock.

Lots of crap, though.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A new vintage shop has opened in Crystal Palace (called Crystal Palace Vintage). It's on Westow Street and is open Thursday to Sunday.

They have got loads of menswear in there, including a few good pieces. Of particular note is a ginger, three-button, Harris Tweed jacket (about size 40) that I would guess dates from the 1940s. It is in fantastic condition. It's about £70. If anyone is interested, I will see if I can get photos and measurements.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Sounds interesting! 40 is my size... if the sleeves are at least 25 inches, I would be interested in photos.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Levisons has a pair of deadstock espadrilles (size 10) that were apparantly made for the British Army (circa 1930s/1940s). I don't know much about the more curious end of military wear from that period so i can't be certain about the background. They were priced at £55 and they are expecting to get some more in a selection of sizes. I know it's an odd one but there might be someone reading this who thinks "fantastic! just what i need!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21