Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The London "Heads up" thread

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
£5k per week! Plus all the rest of the expenses (staff, heating, lighting etc). No wonder prices are so high. I can only imagine they charge a solid rate for the consultancy work.

I'm amazed any of those shops manage to keep going with rents that high. Landlords get richer and central London gets blander.

Sometimes I wonder if the collapse of the banking system etc would be the best thing for the UK: the foreign banks etc all flee from London, rents have to fall, loads of second hand shops open up in the place of overpriced shops selling crap that no one needs. Britain has to start again without the avaricious chainstores but with independent shops in their place.

Sorry, I'm dreaming again.

Edward

Bartender
£5k per week! Plus all the rest of the expenses (staff, heating, lighting etc). No wonder prices are so high. I can only imagine they charge a solid rate for the consultancy work.

I'm amazed any of those shops manage to keep going with rents that high. Landlords get richer and central London gets blander.

Sometimes I wonder if the collapse of the banking system etc would be the best thing for the UK: the foreign banks etc all flee from London, rents have to fall, loads of second hand shops open up in the place of overpriced shops selling crap that no one needs. Britain has to start again without the avaricious chainstores but with independent shops in their place.

Sorry, I'm dreaming again.

Course, if certain people for whom I did not vote are to be believed, with the EU voting to cap bankers' bonuses, that might well happen.... ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Course, if certain people for whom I did not vote are to be believed, with the EU voting to cap bankers' bonuses, that might well happen...

For me, it comes down to one thing: you need cheap rents if you are going to have risk taking and innovation. No cheap rents in London, no innovation. So the things that the tourists come to London in search of (it's pop/fashion history etc) are reduced to buying chainstore coffee and cheap beatles t-shirts amidst the fug of smoke from ethnic foodstalls (i.e. basically every London street market etc).

tonypaj

Practically Family
Course, if certain people for whom I did not vote are to be believed, with the EU voting to cap bankers' bonuses, that might well happen...

For me, it comes down to one thing: you need cheap rents if you are going to have risk taking and innovation. No cheap rents in London, no innovation. So the things that the tourists come to London in search of (it's pop/fashion history etc) are reduced to buying chainstore coffee and cheap beatles t-shirts amidst the fug of smoke from ethnic foodstalls (i.e. basically every London street market etc).

You've got it way better than most of us in Europe. I live and work in the Geneva region, prices higher than yours, yeah we got the Alps, and cows. And chocolate. Ho hum. I stay away from that as I stay away from the touristy places in London.

At least you have the east London, some parts very interesting, you've got alternative scenes, and jeans for less than 130 pounds... And I'm not talking selvedge. Also, it seems that the young Frenchies are flooding there, London is apparently the 4th biggest French town in terms of French population. My son will go to Uni there, if all goes to plan. He's not French or Swiss though, just happens to have grown up here. My next trip, only plan so far, is to see the Gaslight Anthem at Troxy. I do not get that here...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I was in 'Blitz' (the Vintage Department Store) on Hanbury Street yesterday. I know its not to everyone's liking, but they had a 1958 British three piece suit in a fantastic fabric - black with small white chevrons. It looked very good. I think it was just over £100 (but don't quote me on that).

Levison's are selling a very nice, button front, suede jacket (a european size 50 - i.e. 40 - I think). They thought it was German and late 40s/early 50s. It has quite a distinctive short, knitted shawl collar. £125.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Levisons also had a pair of size 7, American made, ventilated spectators. They told me they were a recent charity shop find (which must be rather rare in London these days).

Edward

Bartender

Yeah.... Redevelopment kills. The last vestiges of Camden's soul were ripped right out by the glass and concrete brigade. Centrepiece of that market is now a building housing a trendy restaurant (?) which members of Girls Aloud [/spits] frequent. If that's not a sure sign that all credibility has not only died, but is being already digested by the vultures I don't know what is.

I was in 'Blitz' (the Vintage Department Store) on Hanbury Street yesterday. I know its not to everyone's liking, but they had a 1958 British three piece suit in a fantastic fabric - black with small white chevrons. It looked very good. I think it was just over £100 (but don't quote me on that).

They do have some nice stuff, if you hunt. Never in my size, alas....

Levisons also had a pair of size 7, American made, ventilated spectators. They told me they were a recent charity shop find (which must be rather rare in London these days).

They are indeed..... I suppose it's the wider trend of people selling atuff on eBay instead of donating, plus the cost.... Not an easy thing to find at all.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I even spotted that suit. What type/style was it? It must have been bloody good if they wanted £750 for it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Edward: you stated: "They do have some nice stuff, if you hunt. Never in my size, alas...."

Out of interest, what size do you wear (just in case I spot something in your size when I'm out and about)?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I even spotted that suit. What type/style was it? It must have been bloody good if they wanted £750 for it.

it was a typical mid 30s British SB peaked with brownish POW check. i must have had a silly attack when i neglected to save photos.
it was the same seller who sold the brown tweed 20s suit last year for £900.

Edward

Bartender

"Of course, dear, I'll sell that old suit you hate me wearing. Oh, nobody wanted it, I got no bids. I suppose I'll just hang onto it, then".... Alternatively, I've also heard of people putting items on eBay with a silly high reserve as a way of testing market price without having to let it go, but if it's a BIN only, that wouldn't work.

Edward: you stated: "They do have some nice stuff, if you hunt. Never in my size, alas...."

Out of interest, what size do you wear (just in case I spot something in your size when I'm out and about)?

Thanks, I'm a 38" waist, regular inside leg, and I vary between a 42R & 44R in a jacket. Mostly a 44R in vintage and on Jermyn Street, 42R in the High Street... (typically in a suit whatever comes to about a 46" chest in the actual jacket measurements).

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think there is a way to go over the sellers page

see other items - buying format (choose more) - completed listings
or show only - completed listings

Works on american ebay anyway. [huh]

dis one 'ere?

$T2eC16N,!zEE9s3!WpB7BRN0izJqI!~~60_57.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member