Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The London "Heads up" thread

Ah, yeah, that sounds right, though they have had a few Norfolk type jackets.. Do you recall that it was difficult to be definitive about age? I remember thinking it was early, and benstephens pooh-poohing the idea, suggesting that the style and materials changed so little that it could be any time before the 60s.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Its not poohpoohing, its just I like to be different;). I am not sure it was that early, there was something about it that made me feel it was a little latter. However, it was a lovely jacket, and could well be 40s.

Ben

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I tried to go into "This Shop Rocks" but i'm afraid it's just the kind of shop I hate - jam packed full of sh*t, like the home of a hoarder with narrow passageways cut through the junk and display cases. There was another customer in there when I walked past and therefore it was too much trouble to move for me to bother trying to hunt.

I went in there today ... if you think it's crowded and disorganised now, you should have seen it a few months ago! Last time they had some decent bits and pieces but i couldn't reach it. This time, i could reach it and it was all rubbish.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I went into Levinsons today:

BK did you see the white flannel Bukta shorts? They were in very small sizes (29 and 30 inch waists). Very nice, but way too small for me! They had them marked as 1950s but they could have been 1930s (from my brief view and with my inexpert eye). There was also lots of vintage underwear and undershirts etc.

They also had a very interesting jacket: lightweight sports jacket, pleated patch pockets, looking to me exactly like the elusive 1930s belt-back. But alas no belt. They said it was from Meakers of Piccadilly. I was also rather surprised to open up the jacket and find it had a man-made lining and from the inside looked to be 1950s/1960s.

For anyone interested in unusual militaria, they also had a selection of 1940s blue British Army hospital jackets (they were part of a three piece suit worn by wounded soldiers when convalescing.

P.S. I found that 1930s German brown leather overcoat in the Vintage Basement. It would not have been something I would normally buy, but it fitted me and was just £10. I felt I had to buy it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
could you let me know if the norfolk jacket mentioned above is still in the vintage showroom next time you're there please ?

I was in there today - they did have a Norfolk jacket. It was made/sold by a company called 'Edwards' (I'm sure that was the name). The font on then label looked to me to be straight out of the 1930s. In good condition.

But I was shocked when i saw the prices of their Tootal scarves: most were £65 and some were £75. Yes they were in good condition, but Ebay is full of good quality Tootal scarves at way lower prices. I suppose they sell them to tourists who just see them as beautiful scarves.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Its funny, to me it is the label that makes me think it is latter!

It is a lovely jacket though, and could well be early. I was in there on Saturday. However, do not take my word, I missed a wool mark label in a flat cap :eek:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Whilst I thought the label looked early, the hanging loop (at the back of the neck) looked much more modern to me. Although, admittedly, I don't know much about them - it just looked sort of thin and synthetic and without the stiffness I would expect in an older suit.

So, all we have established is that none of us have got a clue really.

Ben and I went to Portobello Market and then Camden Lock on Friday. He must have tried on the jackets of 4-5 suits, and some overcoats and tweed jackets, all from 30s-40s. And a lovely pair of trousers. And to a man they were all size 42 and above. A beautiful plain dark brown 3-piece suit in that shop called 282 on Portobello Road north of the Westway must have been a 44 at least. The trousers were, as a guesstimate 36W x 33L. The stuff was dotted around a whole bunch of shops and stalls.

The big stuff is out there!

Rokit Seven Dials - At least 5 1930s and 1940s American leather jackets in sound condition. Some black, some brown, with original plaid wool or cotton liners and all in size 36-38. £95 each. Most have replacement main zippers, sadly. The only one that has its original zipper is size 35 and slightly but obviously and visibly damaged (so I didn't buy it). The same store has many overcoats priced at £40 or so. There is also a Lee brand Stratoliner clone from the early 50s in size 7 1/8 for £20.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I saw a rather nice Barkers double breasted, belted overcoat in a very heavy tweed (I think it was a Harris?). I think it was only about £35 (or maybe £45?). No sign of mothing. Not sure of the size, but I'm guessing it is around 38, maybe a 40. I'd guess 1930s or 1940s.
It was in a shop on Chruch Rd in Crystal Palace (possibly called 'Bambino'). I've going to be in the area in the next few days. If anyone wants me to check out the coat, and get full measurements etc and maybe a photo.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
TwoTypes:

If it is not too much of a hassle for you, I'd be grateful if you could check the coat again.

38/40 wotuld be about my size... as long as it is not black/charcoal I certainly would be interested.

Thanks and Best Regards! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points