Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The London "Heads up" thread

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I tried to check but the shop was shut on Tuesday and Wednesday. I will be back there on Saturday, so I will check then.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Oh that's too bad, but thanks again for sticking to this.

I hope to be able to return the favor some time if I find something that might fit you (got your size from the British Suit thread).

Best Regards

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Cheers. The one thing I am really looking for is a stroller jacket - especially one with really wide peaked lapels. I know I'm not the easiest size to find clothes for, but back in the 1930s southern Germany (I'm right in thinking you are in Bavaria?) there must have been plenty of older men who had 'filled out' after drinking too much beer.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes I'm in Bavaria - I'd also imagine that if there would be one place to find black clothing in larger sizes it ought to be here.^^
After all "Sundays best" in Germany was the ubiquitous black suit and this is a Catholic area with high church attendance (back then even more so) - I can also vividly imagine the portly Bavarian small-town mayor strutting around in a stroller. ;)

As you know black suits/jackets are among the most frequent items still to be found in Germany (and there isn't much to be found).
During the last two years I got hold of two complete strollers at Bavarian fleamarkets, but one was a size 36, the other a 40.^^
The larger sizes must be out there somewhere.

Right now I have in your size only a single breasted, dove-grey Stroller vest and a 30's jacket, with large peaked lapels - but alas it's not black but a charcoal with blueish "micro-square" structure. [huh] But in fact I am later today paying a visit to two Munich vintage/second-hand clothing stores... they sometimes have black 30-40's stuff (though mostly rather too small even for me). I'll keep my eyes open anyway.

BTW, does it have to be SB or would a DB also work for you?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni,
Please send me a PM with pictures of the jacket and the vest. And the measurements. I might be interested in them. And let me know if you see anything else.
I particularly want a single breasted stroller, but a double-breasted might be ok.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Not to worry - this was just in reference to finding larger sized stuff.
Indeed I always buy everything non-black I can find regardless of size if it is cheap enough. ;)
Black also if it has an interesting fabric (i.e. structure or stripes) or an interesting cut/age.
The most frequent (still a drop in the ocean of 70-90's junk) "old black items" are DB jackets from the 50's with 1x2 closure and rather narrow "peak" lapels.

As promised I checked the Munich second-hand stores yesterday and found an early 1900's "frock-coat" (60 Euros), two 1930-40's SB sz.38/40 tux-jackets (30 Euros), one sz.36 DB 50's black jacket and (the only item I found rather interesting) a solid brown 30's-50's "Stutzer" short coat (you know the Ulster-like jackets that reach to the hips, with flapped hip and vertical side pockets, it also had a half-belt and a great plaid lining. Excellent condition and great fabric. It was marked 48 (38) and was rather too short for my height of 183 cm. 50 Euros.

If anyone is interested... ?

Best Regards

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I made a very rare visit to Camden last week. I had a look in 'Dandy in Aspic' in the stables market. They have a CC41 CWS (Co-op?) three piece blue striped suit. It's a lovely colour and appears to be unworn. However, it's an odd size. The jacket is very short, with very short sleeves. The chest is probably a 44 andn the trousers have a 42 inch waist (and rather short legs). So, if you are a short, stocky fellow who wants a deadstock cc41 suit, this could be the one for you. I can't recall the price, but it wasn't cheap.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
No, I didn't see any ties at all. The shop was so cramped I could hardly see anything. The only ties I spotted were rather nasty looking. Drat!
Another thing that was rather nice was a number of deadstock Italian 1950s shirts. They had spread collars, but nice spread collars, not the British ones. Added to that, some of the boxes were really nice examples of period design.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Showroom - By Christ! The prices are high! They were trying to sell a plain black orphaned 1950s Burton suit jacket for nearly £100! And £25 for a lovely Red Indian design Tootal tie with a hole right in the middle of it. I really don't know who can pay their prices.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Showroom - By Christ! The prices are high! They were trying to sell a plain black orphaned 1950s Burton suit jacket for nearly £100!

did you see the orphaned 1930s black Burton peaked lapel jacket ? nice, but £235 ???

(mind you, a plain black jacket is easier to pair with odd trousers than an orphaned striped suit jacket).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention the orphaned jacket: maybe I was still in shock? Then again, their rent and business rates must be sky high - no wonder they charge so much.

House of Vintage (opposite Levisons) have a couple of nice 1950s American flecked sports jackets, both in good condition. One for £60, the other is £40 (I think?). They are woefully badly described: one is labelled 1960s/1970s, the other is labelled 'mod jacket'. If i remember correctly, they are both around a size 40/42.

Edward

Bartender
I forgot to mention the orphaned jacket: maybe I was still in shock? Then again, their rent and business rates must be sky high - no wonder they charge so much.

House of Vintage (opposite Levisons) have a couple of nice 1950s American flecked sports jackets, both in good condition. One for £60, the other is £40 (I think?). They are woefully badly described: one is labelled 1960s/1970s, the other is labelled 'mod jacket'. If i remember correctly, they are both around a size 40/42.

Size small.... pity. I'm really liking the flecked jacket look these days.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What size do you take, Edward?

It might be worth checking on those jackets, after all, I might be wrong about the sizes (and aren't you based in east london? so it wouldn't be too far out of your way). Or give them a call to find out the size.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Whilst i remember: for those of you out there who collect CC41 stuff - Levisons have got a pair of gents morning gloves with the CC41 stamp inside (rather than a label). They were in very good condition.

The rent for Jungle, the Army Surplus store that was across the road from Vintage Showroom until about 2009, was £250,000 per year, and rising. Hence, they are no longer there. Who'd'a thunk it - Seven Dials a salubrious neighbourhood. It's still a shitehole, basically a slum with descendents of the drunkards described by Dickens still slouched inebriated against the cross … just a shitehole with high rents and hipsters galore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21