Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mindset Lists

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't wish to be rude, but you reminded me of something that I saw on TV, about how, ten years after it happened, most Americans had completely forgotten about 9/11.

This wasn't some comedy TV show prank or something. It was a real, honest-to-goodness survey. They went around America interviewing people on the streets.

"What happened on September 11?"
"The world trade center was attacked!"
"Good. WHAT YEAR did it happen in?"

Most people had no idea.

I don't wish to be rude, but you reminded me of something that I saw on TV, about how, ten years after it happened, most Americans had completely forgotten about 9/11.

This wasn't some comedy TV show prank or something. It was a real, honest-to-goodness survey. They went around America interviewing people on the streets.

Most people had no idea.

I steadfastly refuse to believe anyone who was over the age of say, 8 when it happened, is not aware of the event.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The KGB is a state of mind. Even Putin thinks he's James Bond. :D
2007-hunting_1456110i.jpg
You got to understand the poor fella - he's born after his time (much like most of us).. only "his time" might involve some heavy duty espionage and words "Cold" and "war" joined together. [huh]
([size=-2]I'm not posting politics.. am I?[/size]) :D

The world officially went to hell the moment "blue" became a flavor.
Yeah, I've heard of "blue" as an ice-cream flavour.
In my days you had a choice:
1. chocolate
2. vanilla
3. no ice-cream :rofl:

They never had a polio shot, and likely, do not know what it is.
Ouch!

Bottle caps have not always been screw off, but have always been plastic. They have no idea what a pull top can looks like.
Where's the fun?!

The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
Worse: they use it, without knowing the meaning of it! :doh:

They have always had an answering machine.
What?!
No, I don't have one..

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
*yucky*

They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
Even the Queen of England had that Q in her mind. :D

Michael Jackson has always been white.
To the New Kids. Michael Jackson has always been dead. [huh]

CharleneC

Familiar Face

Most people had no idea.

If this was on television, of course they will focus on the people who don't remember the year. It isn't interesting that most people do know that 9/11 occurred in 2001. Street interviews are not a good sampling method.

Feraud

Bartender

Most people had no idea.

To be fair most people have very little interest in history and negative associations of those rote history lessons from childhood which emphasized dates over content.
It is for these same reasons I dismiss 99% of comments made by Joe Public regarding the past.

Flicka

One Too Many
One thing that brought home how times have changed to me was when my youngest nephew who was then 18 months touched the glass of a picture and got frustrated when he couldn't make it flip to a new one.

My sister tried to explain to his older brother, age 5, how when we grew up "there was only one hour of children's shows a day" (because it was; we only had two channels) and he just gave her a withering look and said: "But then you could just watch Youtube instead."

Yeah. The times they are a-changing.

I distincly remember a conversation with my great grandmother, born about 1890, when I was a kid. My sister was explaining the concept of "going to the beach" to her, to which she replied "we didn't have the beach when I was your age." Gee Granny, you're older than the Gulf of Mexico? Wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana