Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mindset Lists

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What be this ancient technology of which thou speakst? A Veeceearrr? Of what function does this mysterious device fulfil?
Winderful device - I still use it: it tells time IN DARK.. :D
I'm desperate to get me:

hyundai-rtcc411rip.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha!! Wow, that's pretty neat. At my local flea-market, there's this old codger from the 30s (literally, he was born in like 1935 or something), who shows up every week, and among other things, he always brings, like, religiously, always brings antique record-players. And I always like to hang around to listen to the records. And every now and then, I see people show up, and they have NO idea what a record player is, or what a record is. All they've ever known is CDs or MP3s. It's funny watching him trying to explain to a 20-something year old what a 'record player' is, and how it works. I mean it's funny in the sense that they are TOTALLY clueless about how it works and what it does.

I grew up listening to records. My dad had loads of them (he sold them, though, when our record-player went south).

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
The Complete List of Mindset Lists (starting with the first published list, in 2002)

The text of the first-ever "Mindset List", from 2002

The lists for all other following years, may be read on the link above (they're listed down the right side of the screen):

The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.

They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot...

This list is interesting to me. I was born in 1982, and in 2002 most of the statements on this list were NOT true of me. I knew who Regan was and I knew there was an assassination attempt against him. Almost every statement on that list is untrue for me.

I wonder if this has to do primarily with my upbringing by old fashioned parents who were teens in the '50s or with having been born in Canada, or with my strange insatiable ability to absorb random useless facts about almost anything, or a little of everything lol.

AIn the same music store--around the time CDs had almost completely replaced vinyl record albums, this particular shop still had a select supply of LPs in the back of the store. A young lady approached the front counter holding an LP in her hands and asked, "Is this a calendar?"

Not exactly earth-shattering, but they left me feeling amused and old at the same time.

A few years ago, I went into a big box electronics store to purchase a turntable. At the checkout counter, the young lad asked me what it was. I said "it's a turntable.". He said "is that like a VCR"? I said "something like that" and just paid and left. I didn't want to get into the whole "well you see, there used to be these things called 'records'...". It was depressing.

Stray Cat

Hahaha!! Wow, that's pretty neat. I mean it's funny in the sense that they are TOTALLY clueless about how it works and what it does
Neat, however it’s quite expensive..
Records require patience, maintenance and care.. it’s easier to just download a tune, shove earpeaces into your ear and walk around.
Again - patience. When I was a kid, we’d sit around radio, record the music we liked, exchanged it.. oh, neverending fun. ;)

Flicka

One Too Many
This list is interesting to me. I was born in 1982, and in 2002 most of the statements on this list were NOT true of me. I knew who Regan was and I knew there was an assassination attempt against him. Almost every statement on that list is untrue for me.

I wonder if this has to do primarily with my upbringing by old fashioned parents who were teens in the '50s or with having been born in Canada, or with my strange insatiable ability to absorb random useless facts about almost anything, or a little of everything lol.

My little sister was born in 1982 and I can assure you that in 2002 she both knew who Reagan was and that there'd been an attempt to shoot him, and she's not even American. Then again, she grew up in a home where "dinner" meant "eating while discussing politics, history and religion, and loudly heckling anyone who gets caught out with a factual error" so she may not be representative either.

Randomly, AFAIK, young "hip" bands are usually all about vinyl. Almost religiously so, which I think is exactly because they don't remember them being mundane. To them they're Special.

I find it cheering in a weird way to know there are people who have no knowledge of disco, writing with a nib pen, the Kennedy assassination, and a million other bummers of my past.
I wish I had no knowledge of disco... :puke:

That thing about the record is hilarious! "Calender"...wow...I'd love to see how that one played out...
The clerk, who was (and still is) the owner of the shop, simply told her it was a "record album" before returning to whatever he was doing before she asked her question. I've known him for a few decades now and, after the girl walked away to put the album back in it's proper place, he looked at me and shook his head with a slight "kids these days" expression on his face.

What puzzled me was the thought that her parents must surely have had at least a few albums around the house, yet she still didn't seem to know what a "record album" was.

"Well, you see, there used to be radios for music and, newspapers for news and TV for series.."
A few years ago a very good friend and I were sharing some of our favorite "old guy" moments with each other; we're both currently 51 years old. His story was that he was sitting in his car in the parking lot at his place of employment, reading the newspaper (one of his favorite pastimes) until the beginning of his shift. After he'd been working for a while one of his co-workers (who are almost exclusively "twenty-somethings") commented on seeing him reading the newspaper and added, "My generation gets the news from the Internet and television; I don't know anyone who reads newspapers."

I won't be too surprised if newspapers become obsolete in my lifetime.

Stray Cat

I wish I had no knowledge of disco... :puke:
I am glad I don't. lol

A few years ago a very good friend and I were sharing some of our favorite "old guy" moments with each other; we're both currently 51 years old. His story was that he was sitting in his car in the parking lot at his place of employment, reading the newspaper (one of his favorite pastimes) until the beginning of his shift. After he'd been working for a while one of his co-workers (who are almost exclusively "twenty-somethings") commented on seeing him reading the newspaper and added, "My generation gets the news from the Internet and television; I don't know anyone who reads newspapers."
I share your fear.. because there's nothing more relaxing to me than to be the frist to "crack open" the Saturday morning paper. :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Complete List of Mindset Lists (starting with the first published list, in 2002)

The text of the first-ever "Mindset List", from 2002

The lists for all other following years, may be read on the link above (they're listed down the right side of the screen):

The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.

Well, right there is your problem. People starting colllege in 2002 would have been born in 1984 not 1980. That changes things by 4 years and makes me not trust a list published by people who can't subtract.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Try swatting a fly with the Internet.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Why on earth would people do that? That said, I firmly believe that a 'reporter' reports news and current events. Facts. This happened on this day at this time and this was the result. A writer in a newspaper which does not write about such things, and which would therefore be classified as 'gossip', would be a columnist or a contributor.

As Thomas Fowler said in "The Quiet American", 'journalists have opinions. I'm not a journalist. I'm a reporter. I write about what happens. Nothing more, nothing less', or words to that effect (It's late at night, and I can't be bothered to find the actual quote).

MikeBravo

One Too Many
When I was a kid, we’d sit around radio, record the music we liked, exchanged it.. oh, neverending fun. ;)

I remember when taping from a record player you had to be careful putting the lid of the record player down. If you weren't gentle, you would hear the bump on the tape

These days they call that piracy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW