Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mindset Lists

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently learned from a teacher friend of mine that cursive is not even being taught in many school systems today.

No?!
Why? How is it possible.. sorry, I’m being lost in time here.. you see, I still think cursive is important for the children as a skill, helping them develop their hand movement and coordination..
Poor old me, no? :doh:
Children don’t write, they type.. I’m still having prolems understanding how is it that they manage to type o. a digital.device, yet fail to learn Cyrilic cursive.
...I guess auto-correcting tool helps.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
It hasn't been for nearly a decade.

I guess I should have known. I have kids (18 and older, but still kids to me) coming into the tattoo shop asking for phrases tattooed in "fancy writing". I find what they are usually referring to is not calligraphy but simple cursive. Although I did have one young man the other day say he wanted it in "that type of writing the constitution was written in".

I guess I should have known. I have kids (18 and older, but still kids to me) coming into the tattoo shop asking for phrases tattooed in "fancy writing". I find what they are usually referring to is not calligraphy but simple cursive. Although I did have one young man the other day say he wanted it in "that type of writing the constitution was written in".

Now THAT'S fancy.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I experienced a funny shock of aging and time passage recently. On Friday I got my hair cut with a new stylist. She asked me if my husband and I are doing anything exciting this summer, as in vacation. I answered that in a few weeks we're going to Denver to see RUSH in concert (the rock band from Canada, NOT Rush of the talk-radio airwaves). She looked at me blankly, and said, "I think I've heard of them." Then we got to talking about music and it turns out she was born the year I graduated high school, 1990. The salon's satellite radio station was on 80's music, and she quipped that she loves this "oldies channel."

It was all I could do to not say out loud "OH MY GOD, I'M OLD ENOUGH TO BE YOUR MOTHER!" :eusa_doh:

These lists make the email rounds at my workplace (university) on a regular basis. It's strange to think that knowledge we've always taken for granted is completely unknown to the younger generation, but I guess that's how aging has always worked, right? It's up to us history lovers to keep the tidbits of the past alive.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
When I was in high school in the early '80s, our art class devoted a six week period each year to learning the art of calligraphy with a traditional dip pen. Of course many schools today don't even offer art classes. Lucky for me mine did because art was the only thing I ever truly excelled at in high school.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
All these talks about writing are hilarious. Hilarious, but sad, and true.

I dunno about the rest of the world, but 'round here, at least, cursive writing hasn't been taught in at least ten years. I'm 25. That gives you some idea of how fast things are changing.

Stray Cat

I know the Cyrillic alphabet but I could never get my head around cursive Cyrillic.
Can you do cursive in Latin Alphabet?

nk196t.gif

See?
It's pretty much the same. :D

I dunno about the rest of the world, but 'round here, at least, cursive writing hasn't been taught in at least ten years. I'm 25. That gives you some idea of how fast things are changing.
Now I must call my teacher friend and ask her how are Kids here doing.. maybe we've stop teaching cursive here as well. [huh]

A few music-related anecdotes:

In the early 80s I walked into a bank wearing an Alice Cooper tee shirt. The young lady behind the counter looked at the image of Alice and asked, "Is that a guy?" When I replied, "Yes," she looked at it for a moment and said, "Oh...well, I'm not too familiar with these new groups." For those unfamiliar with Mr. Cooper's career, he's been around since the late 60s and was good friends with Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin.

Several years ago I was in a local music store and noticed a young girl staring at a Beatles CD. As I walked past her, she looked at her friend and said, "I didn't know Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings."

In the same music store--around the time CDs had almost completely replaced vinyl record albums, this particular shop still had a select supply of LPs in the back of the store. A young lady approached the front counter holding an LP in her hands and asked, "Is this a calendar?"

Not exactly earth-shattering, but they left me feeling amused and old at the same time.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I find it cheering in a weird way to know there are people who have no knowledge of disco, writing with a nib pen, the Kennedy assassination, and a million other bummers of my past.

Stray Cat

Several years ago I was in a local music store and noticed a young girl staring at a Beatles CD. As I walked past her, she looked at her friend and said, "I didn't know Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings."
So, she had no idea Paul once was young and had no wrinkles? lol

In the same music store--around the time CDs had almost completely replaced vinyl record albums, this particular shop still had a select supply of LPs in the back of the store. A young lady approached the front counter holding an LP in her hands and asked, "Is this a calendar?"
This one is precious! :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That thing about the record is hilarious! "Calender"...wow...I'd love to see how that one played out.

Y'know it's occurred to me that we've already advanced far enough in years, that there are already several generations who will never have grown up knowing anything other than DVDs and downloads. What be this ancient technology of which thou speakst? A Vee-cee-arrr? Of what function does this mysterious device fulfil?

Or perhaps even funnier, there'll be a whole generation which will not know, nor need to know, about that little trick of covering the record-over hole on the cassette tape with adhesive tape, to enable you to record stuff on cassettes which weren't meant to be used that way. I must've used up yards of stickytape doing that, as a child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk