Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Nazi Gold Train

p51

One Too Many
The train itself apparently was found today, this photo proves it!
3ed7b7de67b92eb4344579174ee4fb38.jpg

Better still, they found a dramatic color shot taken in 1944:
86156__thomastank_610.jpg

meh_ro9719_zpsmz7bwjq5.jpg

Seriously, on the radio this morning, I heard part of an interview with a woman from the local historical society there. She laughed at the idea, saying she's heard the stories all her life but that she thinks it's all nonsense.
They are, however, very worried that someone might get hit by a train as there's a spot rumored to be the place these guys are talking about, very close to a busy active main line...

Last edited:
The train itself apparently was found today, this photo proves it!
3ed7b7de67b92eb4344579174ee4fb38.jpg

Better still, they found a dramatic color shot taken in 1944:
86156__thomastank_610.jpg

View attachment 34985

Seriously, on the radio this morning, I heard part of an interview with a woman from the local historical society there. She laughed at the idea, saying she's heard the stories all her life but that she thinks it's all nonsense.
They are, however, very worried that someone might get hit by a train as there's a spot rumored to be the place these guys are talking about, very close to a busy active main line...

You made my day!! :D

In Germany, we laugh about this nice summertime-joke from Poland. Ground-penetrating radar with depth 70 m, LAUGH! These GPR's are going down to 25 -30 m maximum. And the radar-picture, wich can be manipulated from everyone, was unmasked.

p51

One Too Many
More declaration, different radar images. All look about as plausible as a infrared imagine of my dachshund's dinner bowl right before he chows down. [huh]
2C26611500000578-3229403-image-a-1_1441897169780.jpg
As requested by the Polish army, the site is being cleared of trees and brush: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/09/15/workers-in-poland-clear-trees-from-site-alleged-secret-tunnel-hiding-nazi-train As this is going on, another major tunnel complex nearby has apparently been found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/11858900/Polish-man-finds-Nazi-underground-shelter-in-gold-train-tunnel-system.html

p51

One Too Many
I remain to be convinced it is as advertised at all, "Show me the money !"
I agree fully.
How people can't see that nothing has been proven or confirmed is utterly beyond me. I think too many of these people have been watching Indiana Jones movies too many times recently.
If I were a German officer, at the end of the war, knowing the Red horde is coming and we can't stop it but I want to get rid of a train (whatever type it is) and can't obliterate it myself, I'd likely pull it into an area of a crevice and have dirt piled over top of it. If a tunnel, roll it in and blow up the end. I'm not going waste any more time (time that I need to get my unit back home) putting chemicals of booby traps. And why not? Because what the heck do I care about someone finding it in 20-50 years?

Haversack

One Too Many
Regarding taking the time to demo and lay boobytraps, it sort of depends on the type of unit doing the evacuation. The Kaserne I was stained at during the early '80s was an ex-Luftwaffe fighter base outside of Nuremberg. During the Allied advance across Germany in 1945, the Luftwaffe pulled out and an SS unit moved in and spent three days prepping the place for demolition. After placing their charges and unpleasant surprises, they got a hold of the local contractor who had built the place back in the mid-1930s to show them the power main. The contractor instead showed them a dead auxiliary cable to which the SS tied in their charge trains. The place survived. (With the exception of a couple of the hangers that caught fire when the Americans arrived the next day. Stray artillery apparently. Over the course of the next few months American Army engineers were able to deactivate and remove most of the explosives so that an Army Air Corps fight unit could use the base. (It was in good shape as it had never been discovered during the war.)

Most of the explosives... They cleared the buildings and the basements. However, there were a couple of levels of sub-basements and tunnel systems connecting the buildings and extending out into the countryside that they couldn't clear. These were flooded instead and the entry points to them sealed shut. (Our battery's arms room in the basement had one of these entrances behind the M60 rack. It looked like a bulkhead door from on board a ship and was welded shut. When we had our IG, (inspector general), they tried to gig us for having a insecure arms room because of that door.)

Most of the American and British bases in West Germany during the Cold War were in former German military bases. Almost all of the bases built during the Third Reich had systems of sub-basements and tunnels. In most cases, it was decided after the war that it was easier and safer to just flood them. Even so, old weapons and explosive have continued to surface.

theknight

New in Town
Ah yes, I remember seeing the spot of Hitler's bunker. Weird to think what happened there so long ago. But this gold train is for sure still out there!

p51

One Too Many
I once read an Army document written in the 50s where it stated that one of many reasons that Germany lost the war was their inability to focus on the war itself. In short, they were too focused on generations after the war instead of all the allied nations slowly creeping into the Reich.
Had they decided not to indulge in pet projects such as this and focused those resources away from all these 'future' projects and most of all, the Holocaust, they could have staved off the Allies for much longer than they had. Instead, they gutted themselves logistically by diverting resources to all these odd projects that had no support for winning the war as well as a massive waste of effort diverted instead to killing all the people the Germans didn't like. In short, aside from being amazingly evil, it was a stupid thing for any nation to do as it kept resources the army could have used focused instead on efforts that had nothing to do with the war itself. The report concluded that all these other non-war-winning efforts helped the Allied cause in the end.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the plus side, I just heard that tourism in that area has skyrocketed!

Hi

A guy I worked with actually went to Poland on vacation this year, not to the Gold Train. I'm over 50 and have only met one person that's been to Poland.

Hey, anything helps when your the tourism director...

Later

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Is it too late to alter my guess now ? I am going to go with what I said about the Burmese Spitfires. All there is going to be is packing crates full of old greatcoats, size xxxl and xxs. ;)

That would be SWEET!
Ahhh....nazi moths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo