The return of the open crown whippet

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Matt Deckard, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Finally released, the remake of the Stetson whippet I designed for @stetsonhats. Took some time to get the open crown whippet back into production. Nowadays, the Japanese market always seams to be the one that loves it most. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Great news! Will they be available through distributors in the US? Can you share the finalized specifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scooterz likes this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, including the grade of the felt.

Scooterz likes this.
  4. yetimcreynolds

yetimcreynolds Familiar Face

Finally! Thanks for the updates Matt! Thanks again for all your brilliant work that you did for them. Best hats since the golden years for sure! Can’t wait until you are making hats again. Your talents are needed in the current hat market. All my best to you,
    Zeth

5. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Answering a few hat questions since the release of the open crown Whippet on the Japanese market. I designed both US and Japanese Versions for STETSON. The primary differences between the @john_b.stetson_tokyo issue Royal whippet versus the 2016 issue US Excellent quality open crown version. 1. Excellent has vintage quality cotton rayon ribbon. Japan has polyester which has a shine and is a bit harder to iron. 2. To attach the ribbon, Excellent has Cotton polyfill thread, Japan has clear nylon fishing line. 3. Excellent is pure beaver at a 90 gram weight. Much much thinner and denser. Japan is 120 gram weight rabbit. 4. Sweatband is tumbled skived special order vintage repro thin roan sheepskin. Japan is standard roan sheepskin. 5. Excellent is done on original master blocks used to make the STETSON whippet. Japan is done on new wide oval block modified off the original for the Japanese market. 6. Excellent has metallic branded STETSON wind cord which can be taken down from the hat to be put through a jacket lapel button hole. #stetson #stetsonjapan #stetsontokyo #stetsonwhippet[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

You should share this in the hat forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. hatman

hatman New in Town

That is without a doubt, the best looking hat I've seen in some time