Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson Playboy

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
James, the vent holes are not normal for the Playboy. Your hat is the only one I've seen with them.

So you mean I have a rare one off that I am wearing int the rain?! :eek: I am going to have to treat that hat a little more carefully. :D
By the way everyone, I got my ultra rare Playboy from Art for a very good price. Now I find out it was an even better price. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
Hey J,
My Stetson Playboy doesn't have a liner nor does it have any "diamond shaped" holes in the crown. Perhaps your holes are the work of the imfamous "diamond back" moths?? :D

Charles

Originally posted by Engr-Chas
Hey J,
My Stetson Playboy doesn't have a liner nor does it have any "diamond shaped" holes in the crown. Perhaps your holes are the work of the imfamous "diamond back" moths?? :D

Nope. No moth holes just perfectly spaced holes in the shape of a diamond on either side of the crown.
I suppose Stetson could have hired some very talented moths but I doubt it. LOL
C'mon, I can't have the only Playboy in the whole world with these features. Someone out there has to have one with ventilation holes. Get them out of the closet and have a look at them. :D

Regards to all,

J

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Over two years later...

I know this is an old thread, but when I read about the Stetson Playboy with ventilation holes, it immediately jogged my memory, so I thought I'd post this 1949 ad:

194910.jpg

Don't know how long the Playboy was produced with the ventilation holes (and have never seen them in any other ads), but at least Burt was wearing one in 1949!

Cheers,
Jimmy

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one just like it in light blue. It is very soft.
DSCN3840.jpg

DSCN3683.jpg

DSCN3677.jpg

DSCN3676.jpg

I wish i had one in hazel.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Douglas -- That is one sweet hat! I'm not familiar with the "Week-ender," but what a great look! Love the geometric thing going on with the sweatband...Is the Zephyr weight a very light weight? That also seems to characterize the Playboy.

Cheers,
Jimmy

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah Jimmy, the felt is very thin and light. Perhaps the name difference is just a different year. The sweat band design is really cool and the body has holes punched through it at the base of the crown behind the ribbon but the diamond pattern on the sides seems to be only decorative since the the holes do not penetrate the hat.

RBH

Bartender
My intrest in the Stetson Playboy has been rekindled...
I really like the one in this post by Dinnerman from another thread.

It has a stitched brim edge. Raw edge, but with a single row of stitching around the edge.
IMG_0959.jpg

This one's an early model, so it's got a different brim width and crown blocking, but the edge is the same as later ones.

This could use a bump!

It is likely that someone ironed the brim at some point, which will alter the flange to the point that it won't stay in an up position.

Seems like a bump is in order...

Early generation Stetson Playboy c.1940 owned by Robert E. Elcock. Likely purchased from Moore's Berkeley location - he received a B.S. from UCB in 1941. Very lightweight (2.6 ounces) and soft with rooftop ventilation, the hat retains its original cellophane Stetson sticker in the crown. Overall pristine condition but with a rumpled ribbon from being stored for ages in its "original" Stratoliner box. Brim width is 2 3/8". More pictures to follow.

blackplayboy1.jpg

blackplayboy2.jpg

blackplayboy3.jpg

blackplayboy4.jpg

blackplayboy5.jpg

Thank you guys. Perry, it is black. Perhaps that is why it was never worn. You have to get old and gray for black to work its magic.

Here are photographs of the viscera. I have owned several Playboys but have kept only one other - a gray early model with raw brim edge. I will have to compare them more closely when I get home. The gray one has the three panel narrow manufacturing label that was a transition between the wide 3 panel label and the single panel label seen in the new black hat. The single panel label continues through the 1940s. Both have the gold size tag. The sweatband imprints are different. And the block used is different as well - 123 in the gray hat and 122 in the black one above. I assumed when I saw the auction photos of the manufacturing tag that the black hat is later. But the sweatband LOTXXXX number is higher in the gray hat than the black hat. As always, dating hats is a work in progress...

blackplayboy6.jpg

blackplayboy7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR