Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson Playboy

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Maybe we can entice @ChicagoWayVito to share some more angles of his recently acquired Stratoliner block.

I don't recall ever seeing a 123 block 'in the wild.' I seem to recall reading somewhere that Stetson blocks were proprietary and that they had a tendency to destroy them whenever an individual block was 'retired.'

Anybody should feel free to correct me here...

Do not know about destroying. I too am curious. The versions, a,b,c,d have me extra curious.

Anyone with a 123 and 122 block willing to do a side by side?

Maybe we can entice @ChicagoWayVito to share some more angles of his recently acquired Stratoliner block.

I don't recall ever seeing a 123 block 'in the wild.' I seem to recall reading somewhere that Stetson blocks were proprietary and that they had a tendency to destroy them whenever an individual block was 'retired.'

Anybody should feel free to correct me here...

One legend has it they gave old blocks to employees as firewood when they threw them out.

We do have records of Playboys in both 122 and 123, but 123 is most common. Perhaps we could just examine the shapes of open crown vintage Playboys and Strats in lieu of having the blocks?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
One legend has it they gave old blocks to employees as firewood when they threw them out.

We do have records of Playboys in both 122 and 123, but 123 is most common. Perhaps we could just examine the shapes of open crown vintage Playboys and Strats in lieu of having the blocks?

Sample size: Only Strat marked with 122 block and no markings on Playboy: one Strat. (Grey blue felt) vs one Playboy (tan felt). I tried to choose both unlined felts. Odds are high they are a decade apart in age. I deliberately choose two very different felt hues so their was no confusion between them.

EC56CF11-DCFC-4C23-84D0-EB1491E34806-M.jpg

DSC08703-M.jpg

DSC08709-M.jpg

DSC08710-M.jpg

DSC08708-M.jpg

DSC08701-M.jpg

i-DXkr2PR-M.jpg

Now to set up sample 123 vs 122.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:
Good question - What color? I see from the 50's advertisements the color "Aspen." I have no way to substantiate, but I think of Aspen color as a light gray - green in the early fall. I am biased as yesterday I was thinking of the leaf colors when walking through a grove of Aspen trees. Just adding my opinion this morning.
I think Aspen is a good guess. I've always wondered what color Willow would be? With the keyhole tag I've only thought of the 1960's & no earlier because of the 2-1/4" brim I guess.

I think that's a dead ringer for color!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good morning today's sample comparison pics are below: A 50's Playboy (gray felt) with an early Stratoliner (sage felt). The Strat is marked with a 122 and the Playboy is marked with a 123. I did not get a pic as the sticker was under the sweat and sewn in liner. I used my wife's small mark-up mirror to carefully peak. I will have to acquire a dental mirror.

DSC08729-M.jpg

DSC08733-M.jpg

After looking hard for differences I concur with Jack that I see a tiny bit taper on the back of the Stratoliner. I am looking hard and will need to up my game and measure the taper.

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo