Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson Playboy

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
The_San_Francisco_Examiner_Fri__Nov_14__1952_.jpg Fort_Worth_Star_Telegram_Fri__Dec_19__1952_.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Playboy Colors.
I response to a FB post concerning pre-1960s felt colors for Stetson Playboy hat. I compiled, and shared on FB Playboy ads from 1947-1960 that listed available colors. Eric @Short Balding Guy took the time to go through the ads I post and compile this list of colors. I'm sure that there were probably more colors available, but this is a good start.

Caribou, Willow, Quail, Arabian, Chestnut, Star Grey, Chocolate, Havana, Briar, Silver Belly, Sky Gray, Alpine, Grey, Flazen, Cork, Seal, Hemp, Bergreen, Star Blue, Nut gray, Sycamore, Flaxon, Hazel, almond and brownstone.

Additions: (50's advertisments) Aspen, Platinum Gray, Pewter, Sand Tan, Briar Brown, Taupe, Lake Blue, Peacock, Brazil, and Biscuit tan.

Additions: (50's advertisments) Aspen, Platinum Gray, Pewter, Sand Tan, Briar Brown, Taupe, Lake Blue, Peacock, Brazil, and Biscuit tan.

If my bicuits are tan, I'm not sure I want to eat them. Or is it more like, "Wait 'til your father gets home! He's gonna tan yer biscuits!"

Hey, I forgot about this thread - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/playboys-on-parade.9386/page-30 . It is a bit more exhaustive in its info and posts. Not sure if I should cross post info. Advise?

Definitely the predominant Playboy thread, and the one you get pointed to in the "Links to Important Hat Forums" thread.

Stetson Playboy Colors.
I response to a FB post concerning pre-1960s felt colors for Stetson Playboy hat. I compiled, and shared on FB Playboy ads from 1947-1960 that listed available colors. Eric @Short Balding Guy took the time to go through the ads I post and compile this list of colors. I'm sure that there were probably more colors available, but this is a good start.

Caribou, Willow, Quail, Arabian, Chestnut, Star Grey, Chocolate, Havana, Briar, Silver Belly, Sky Gray, Alpine, Grey, Flazen, Cork, Seal, Hemp, Bergreen, Star Blue, Nut gray, Sycamore, Flaxon, Hazel, almond and brownstone.

Thank you guys for the compilation of colors. I've always wondered what color to call this 1960's Royal Playboy with keyhole tag. In natural light it puts off a light green undertone & the ribbon almost looks irredicent. Indoors it's more of a gray with blue/green undertones.

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

At 2-1/4" I wear it mostly in the Cafe Society style.

IMG_7431.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thank you guys for the compilation of colors. I've always wondered what color to call this 1960's Royal Playboy with keyhole tag. In natural light it puts off a light green undertone & the ribbon almost looks irredicent. Indoors it's more of a gray with blue/green undertones.

View attachment 360091

View attachment 360090

At 2-1/4" I wear it mostly in the Cafe Society style.

View attachment 360092

Good question - What color? I see from the 50's advertisements the color "Aspen." I have no way to substantiate, but I think of Aspen color as a light gray - green in the early fall. I am biased as yesterday I was thinking of the leaf colors when walking through a grove of Aspen trees. Just adding my opinion this morning.

For me the Professional man that snaps into a business man style is my most frequently worn.

As an aside I have been going through the other thread (only through page 8 so far) and reminding myself that the stickers on the unlined hats s are likely 40's and the printed crown logos later. Good to re-read the sage wisdom on the thread.

FYI: I wore an Air Light (34-37') Playboy this morning.

DSC08681-M.jpg

DSC08682-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Love the Playboy Jack.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Question: Difference between the 122 (Stratoliner) and 123 (Playboy) block? BTW: Obviously "smart answers" are the number or shape - but I am serious what about the shape.

I do not own either of these blocks and am curious. (I read that A, B, D 123 blocks have been referenced on the Playboys on Parade thread). Curious and curious.

Thanks in advance, Eric -

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Question: Difference between the 122 (Stratoliner) and 123 (Playboy) block? BTW: Obviously "smart answers" are the number or shape - but I am serious what about the shape.

I do not own either of these blocks and am curious. (I read that A, B, D 123 blocks have been referenced on the Playboys on Parade thread). Curious and curious.

Thanks in advance, Eric -

Maybe we can entice @ChicagoWayVito to share some more angles of his recently acquired Stratoliner block.

I don't recall ever seeing a 123 block 'in the wild.' I seem to recall reading somewhere that Stetson blocks were proprietary and that they had a tendency to destroy them whenever an individual block was 'retired.'

Anybody should feel free to correct me here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo