Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Ribbon shots from movies

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Any idea where that elevator photo was taken? Is it marketing photo? or a real person out and about? Can you tell us anything about it? :)

Jauntyone

Practically Family
It came from this site:

http://www.vads.ac.uk/large.php?uid=77871&sos=1

Here is the caption that followed the photo:

Collection London College of Fashion: The Woolmark Company
Garment Manuf. Society Brand
Accessories "LBJ" hat by Dobbs
Date 1964
Description Quiet assurance of room at the top marks new verve in menswear as "Avenue" suit of pure worsted by Society Brand steps up contemporary ladder to success. Medium-grey, 2-button jacket has modified cloverleaf lapels, straight shoulder line, convertible flap pockets and slightly curved waistseams. Trousers are plain front with separate belt in matching fabric. Non-stop neat good looks are backed by addition of new "Wool Mark" label in suit identifying fabric as "world's best pure wool". Style: 21-421609. About: $135.
Subject menswear, suit
Material worsted
Rights London College of Fashion/The Woolmark Company

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a picture because I don't own the DVD -- perhaps another Lounger does and can provide a pic -- but John Ireland wears a sharp-looking thin-ribboned fedora throughout Anthony Mann's noir classic RAW DEAL (1948), starring Dennis O'Keefe, Claire Trevor and Marsha Hunt.

Arkie773/4

New in Town
OK, this is not from a movie an I don't have a pic to share. I recently saw on TCM a look at the career of Spencer Tracy. I have always admired the way in which he would wear hats both on and off screen. There was some non-movie footage of him sporting a straw Open Road it seemed to even have a cattleman's crease. There was a breeze and the hat actually had some movement and flex to it, not at all like the modern straw OR. Did anyone else see this?
Joe

RBH

Bartender
I watched 'Pocket Money' with Lee Marvin and Paul Newman last night. I havent seen the film in years and I really enjoyed it.
Lee Marvin wore a cool looking Open Road type hat the entire movie.

marvin.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I couldn't find any stills on the 'net, but Back to the Future was on TV, and in the part where Marty gets hit by Lorraine's father's car, Lorraine's dad has on a beautiful grayish Stratoliner or Open Road-type creased in a fedora style just the way I like it. Blink and you'll miss it, so I had to rewind the DVR several times to admire it. There are some nice hats in the movie, but that was the one where I said "Ooh, I want that!"

Clip on YouTube, 2:59 in. Clip doesn't do it justice, though.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Yeah, I could have captured it, but because of the low resolution of the video clip, I thought the hat would be more identifiable in motion rather than as a still. Thanks, Rusty!

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
"Some Came Running"

I don't have a picture of it to post, but does anyone remember the hat
Dean Martin's character, "Bama" wore in that flick. I'm almost positive it was a thin-ribbon "Open Road."(?)
Frankie L.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Re: Some Came Running

Frankie Lamb said:
I don't have a picture of it to post, but does anyone remember the hat
Dean Martin's character, "Bama" wore in that flick. I'm almost positive it was a thin-ribbon "Open Road."(?)
Frankie L.

This one?

4cnexci.jpg

000342_8.jpg

Looks like it could definitely be an Open Road. Pretty cool looking, sort of a pork pie shape with a pinch and a curled-up brim.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Post it, and they will come running

Thanks Mr.E-Train:
That's the one. And as a kind of side note; I finally found a hat that didn't look good on "The Chairman."
Frankie L.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
OK so I thought it necessary to bump this back into circulation for folks to view. Just look at those great screen captures of Mr. Stewart!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21