Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel vests

Rottweiler

New in Town
Ahoy gents,

I find myself in need of travel vests. I'd like to find a summer cotton and a winter wool model that would fit into a 1930s-style wardrobe. I'm looking for something for both road trips and hiking or other long walks away from civilization, with enough pockets for any gear I might need, without looking too modern.

Pocket needs:
1 large back pocket, at least 12"x9", for a packable rain coat.
1 slot pocket (like the chest pocket on this vest) for flares, flashlight, and pen.
4 pockets of passport size (3.5"x5") or larger for a first aid kit, notepad, passport, and snack bars.
3 smaller pockets at least 3.5" deep for a cell phone, trifold wallet, and key ring with Swiss army knife.
A few shallow pockets for batteries, compass, matchbook, and pocket watch.

Can anyone recommend something along the lines of a vintage-looking cotton safari vest for summer or wool hunting vest for winter, with that many pockets?

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Try these:
http://www.selectism.com/news/2008/10/23/post-overalls-royal-traveller-vest/

royal-traveler-vest-front.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Don't wear Khaki Travel vests in the city. One of the primary reasons to wear one is to conceal a pistol. Most of us shooters ASSUME that anyone wearing a khaki vest or a fanny pack is carrying, badly. Just a heads up.

I hope I didn't burst the bubble there, but Khaki vests are kind of notorious. Note Khaki vests. You could probably buy an Olive Drab one from Cabelas's and be o.k. For some reason, no one carry's in a safari jacket, and they have decent pockets.

You can carry all of that stuff in a small backpack, and no one will notice. There are several good types. Look up Engineer bag, it will hold a laptop, which is both a good and bad thing. It's a good size, but then everyone will want to steal you lap top. Musette bags are good, buy from www.atthefront.com or another reenactment place. The $12 ones fade really quick to a funny orange color.

Later

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn