Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncool, dorky things you won't be caught dead in

For me it's skinny jeans, cowboy boots, cargo shorts and anything resembling a knit short sleeve polo. I would also add crocs as mentioned above.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
... sandals with white tube socks...

Phew, that was close!

PH9C2or.jpg

I learnt that at ninja school...

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I have never worn a tracksuit in my life and i intend to die having never worn one...

Also, shorts are wrong if you are older than 12.
I am with you on tracksuits in general, but I did find one good application for one. I don't fly in long-haul business class often, but when I do, you can't beat a tracksuit for comfort when sleeping in those lay-flat seats.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
^^
A good one. Speedos are popular in Europe, but man oh man.... Don't know why.

They're not popular, it's just that most swimming pools around here have outlawed swimming shorts.
There where too many people who would wear swimming shorts as regular shorts all summer long and would just rock up with their old dirty shorts at the swimming pool. People in charge judged that unhygienic and they decided the only swimwear allowed would be budgie smugglers cause no one wears these out and abouts. It was a way to make sure swimming gear would only be worn wilst swimming and would be clean when you entered the pool. It happened sometime in the late 90s early 2000 when i was in high school.

A few dirty bastards ruined swimming shorts for all of us.

It was a culture shock the first time i swam in an american pool and noticed more people whore clothes than not.
It's like 50% of people in the US swim in a pool with a T shirt on. It made no sens to me.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
They're not popular, it's just that most swimming pools around here have outlawed swimming shorts.
There where too many people who would wear swimming shorts as regular shorts and would just rock up with their old dirty shorts at the swimming pool. People in charge judged that unhygienic and they decided the only swimwear allowed would be budgie smugglers cause no one wears these out and abouts. It was a way to make sure swimming gear would only be worn wilst swimming and would be clean when you entered the pool.

A few dirty bastards ruined swimming shorts for all of us.
Yeah, but I have seen them at the beaches too...

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm rarely in the pool, but when I am, it's always with board shorts. They are not forbidden here in our country. But here also the fewest run around with boardshorts in public.

I agree with the Italians LOL

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
short sleeved button up shirt
beanie with fluff ball at the peak
shorts
ankle pants
tassel loafers
xmas sweater
fancy socks
casio wristwatch
frameless glasses
rubber wristband especially with movement slogan
rockband tshirt
slogan tshirt
goldchain
diamond
semi precious stones
two tone leather shoes
air jordan
tooth brace
wearing headphone on the neck
neon colored anything
graphic / racing graphic lightning stripes flames etc on motorcycle helmet
stickers on vehicles
round shaped hoodie
purple colored anything
totebag
suspender
bowtie
kimono style cardigan
shemagh
timberland boots
monkey cargo pants
dungarees
sarong

TLW '90

Practically Family
I definitely won't wear skinny Jeans, but I'm also particular about the pants I wear.

TLW '90

Practically Family
you'd have a different opinion if it was 115°f in the summer and you didn't have AC.
Maybe carpenter shorts aren't particularly cool, but I need the pockets and the hammer loop comes in handy ( I don't like my stuff flopping around loosely in cargo pockets, so I don't wear cargo shorts)
short sleeved button up shirt
And the short sleeve button up work shirt is another thing I often wear in the late spring and in the summer ( I have some that belonged to my grandfather too ) , this one for the breast pocket.
I need that for a notepad and for a carpenters pencil in my workshop, but it's also a good place to hang my safety squints.

I get maybe they're not fashionable and that's the point to this thread, but things can be uncool without actually looking bad and they're definitely practical.
Just a reminder, the traditional heritage workwear style a lot of people here like was once the practical thing that wasn't fashionable or good looking.

I'm sure a lot of people here would probably not be caught dead in a bolo tie like this, but It was my grandfathers and I wear it every Christmas.
IMG_20181225_103902838.jpg

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I live in equatorial tropic island surrounded by volcanoes, I know what hot sun is, but if I need short sleeve I would wear t-shirt or polo not a button up shirt because I have stick for arms and shirt fabrics rarely drapes nicely over thin arm, as for shorts pants , nope I don't have any shorts. I have thin or thick long pants that's it.

They are all my own preference though. I never judge or think about what other people around me are wearing , as long as they wear enough clothes, and the clothes they are wearing are not smelly.

just because I wear selvedge jeans today won't mean I would judge others who wear skinny mall jeans around me , because tomorrow I would probably wear my skinny mall jeans myself

those things I mentioned are things that would make me feel dorky if I ever wear it so I don't have them, not necessarily make other people who wear it look dorky in my eyes those are two different thing,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ