Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vermont Expresso HH

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If all goes as planned, I will be receiving a Good Wear Modoc next month. I want a dark brown leather, but not black brown. John sent me samples of his Italian HH (too dark), Goat (pebbled and shiny) and Vermont Expresso (“VE”) HH. The VE is a full grain, veg tanned HH, and the color is great. It appears to be a tad thinner than Shinki HH, and definitely more pliable. I like Shinki HH because it is robust and hearty, yet also reasonably pliable. I am concerned that the VE HH might be too thin and/or not sufficiently robust.

Does anyone here have experience with VE HH? How do you like it? Is it a hearty leather? Does it hold its shape? How does it compare to other HHs? Does anyone have experience with both VE and Shinki HH? How do they compare/contrast?

Thanks in advance!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watching this thread eagerly....I'm a few months behind you in the queue but this is exactly what I'm after as well.

CBI

One Too Many
I own a GW A-1 in Vermont Espresso.......its great, lighter weight yes, making it very comfortable. John used VE on A--1's before he had a supplier for capeskin since its sort of "close" to cape. Nice layers of colors within the brown. Holds its shape well but will probably break in/down a bit more than a heavier HH. John should have some russet brown that is dark but nor seal. I own 4 jackets of his that are that color...Shinki russet. I wonder if he can send you some other options??? If you like regular weight Shinki, you might not be as happy with VE, I DO like BOTH.

On the other hand, might be a nice change if you mainly own heavier leathers. The Modoc broken in with VE will look pretty awesome.

OK, I see I am probably no help.

technovox

One Too Many
I've had my Horween Vermont Expresso Johnson Leathers jacket for a while now. You're right, it seems a tiny bit thinner than my Shinki jackets- maybe. Barely noticeable- but that depends on which Shinki you get. But the VE still has some substance when it comes to drape. More like a Goatskin.
Likes: very easy to wear, very comfortable, develops a beautiful patina almost from day one, a very unique shade of brown that is very different from the usual. Horsehide without all the break-in pain.
Dislikes- could be a bit thicker (but then it wouldn't be as comfortable), the mottled coloration seems a bit artificial if compared with the natural way horsehide would wear and develop patina over the years. Also, I think another member on here encountered problems when wearing it in the rain, although I've never experienced any issues.
Here are some pics. Not recent. If you're interested, I'll take more from recent wear.
HHJMain.JPG

back.JPG

backCU.JPG

Buckle.JPG

extpocket.JPG

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It's a brilliant looking leather in many ways, but IMO as a fellow Shinki lover, doesn't seem like it has many of the same characteristics that are so renowned in Shinki.
This obviously is not a bad thing, but something to consider with how in love with Shinki you are (like me.)

pawineguy

One Too Many
It's a brilliant looking leather in many ways, but IMO as a fellow Shinki lover, doesn't seem like it has many of the same characteristics that are so renowned in Shinki.
This obviously is not a bad thing, but something to consider with how in love with Shinki you are (like me.)

Having never owned a Shinki jacket myself, can you tell me which characteristics you like?

There is a feel to it which is different than other hides. Hard to quantify it really. It's nearest to the Vicenza, but a little more "luxurious" is the only way I can describe...(little more pliable/ little thicker). The Italian seemed more flattened-or pressed if that makes sense.
You have to hold them side by side, but between the Italian and Shinki, it was Shinki hands down the moment I saw them together.
Ken's Dustbowl is awesome in the Vermont! I'd love to have this hide for a more casual jacket like a button up.
It could be very nice for the Modoc, but I'm not sure that Mr. Abomination likes that worn in look for his jackets.
:)

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
There is a feel to it which is different than other hides. Hard to quantify it really. It's nearest to the Vicenza, but a little more "luxurious" is the only way I can describe...(little more pliable/ little thicker). The Italian seemed more flattened-or pressed if that makes sense.
You have to hold them side by side, but between the Italian and Shinki, it was Shinki hands down the moment I saw them together.
Ken's Dustbowl is awesome in the Vermont! I'd love to have this hide for a more casual jacket like a button up.
It could be very nice for the Modoc, but I'm not sure that Mr. Abomination likes that worn in look for his jackets.
:)

Thank you. I know what you mean. Sometimes these things cannot be quantified in any other way than just "you need to see it and hold it in your hands..."

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I'll second that, tho I kinda-sorta felt like the Vicenza was softer and a tad bit thicker than Shinki when comparing two jackets side by side. Regardless, IMO it handles more dainty than Shinki and I had this sense that the Shinki was a longer-wearing hide. Just seems more robust.

Having said all that, I'm completely obsessed at the moment with getting a 20s premier work coat in dark seal Vincenza with the bottle green lining. If anyone's got a 42 to dump, hit me up! ;)

pauleway

Practically Family
That Vermont VE - HH looks really nice. Unless you need a thicker/heavier leather for riding, I would go with the thinner/softer hide.
I have an Aero 30's HB in FQHH, and it is nice piece of leather, heavy and bullet proof, but I just got an August in Vincz. HH (Mid-weight) and it if lighter and softer, so I go to that jacket more often because it is just more comfortable to wear. Just something to think about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails