Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reaganmullins

New in Town
Hey, everyone!

This is my first post here but I’ve been scouring the forum for quite some time.

I recently acquired this Buco jacket from the original owner’s daughter and was just curious as to what the current value would be? I want to be sure I paid her fairly. It has the original belt included.

I’ve been after one of these for years and I’m so happy to finally have one. Thanks in advance!

EDIT - I messaged the seller and sent them some more money, I felt as if it was fair to do so. Hopefully that clears any confusion and puts minds at ease.

Attachments

• 8708D8DF-EA5E-43D2-9566-BEB916B312BD.jpeg
    8708D8DF-EA5E-43D2-9566-BEB916B312BD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 243
  • B9DF6FDE-2422-44E8-B060-0B5CB0978BCB.jpeg
    B9DF6FDE-2422-44E8-B060-0B5CB0978BCB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 236
  • B922448A-28CC-4281-9062-08BB2DBD0F8E.jpeg
    B922448A-28CC-4281-9062-08BB2DBD0F8E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 230
  • 32AEE2F8-E7C4-4623-A932-BC30359CF360.jpeg
    32AEE2F8-E7C4-4623-A932-BC30359CF360.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 232
  • F6D40757-D9D9-4DFB-8D3A-942CA2609E3B.jpeg
    F6D40757-D9D9-4DFB-8D3A-942CA2609E3B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 258
Last edited:

AHP91

Practically Family
Hey, everyone!

This is my first post here but I’ve been scouring the forum for quite some time.

I recently acquired this Buco jacket from the original owner’s daughter and was just curious as to what the current value would be? I want to be sure I paid her fairly. It has the original belt included.

I’ve been after one of these for years and I’m so happy to finally have one. Thanks in advance!

How much for ze jacket

jeo

One Too Many
Hey, everyone!

So you’re the one who bought it! I was your competition lol!! You got it for an absolute steal!! Great condition too. If a store had it on EBay they would list it for anywhere between $1500-$2000. It’s worth and somebody would pay anywhere between $1200-$1500, maybe more.

reaganmullins

New in Town
So you’re the one who bought it! I was your competition lol!! You got it for an absolute steal!! Great condition too. If a store had it on EBay they would list it for anywhere between $1500-$2000. It’s worth and somebody would pay anywhere between $1200-$1500, maybe more.
I knew someone would try to beat me to it, I had to act fast! Thank you for the knowledge ‍

AHP91

Practically Family
I knew someone would try to beat me to it, I had to act fast! Thank you for the knowledge ‍

You wrote that you wanted to be sure you paid the original owner fairly for the jacket. Does that mean you’ll go ahead and send her extra cash now after the transaction? I’m sure you’ll all see this jacket sitting for months at an absurd price now. Good luck with the flip

reaganmullins

New in Town
You wrote that you wanted to be sure you paid the original owner fairly for the jacket. Does that mean you’ll go ahead and send her extra cash now after the transaction? I’m sure you’ll all see this jacket sitting for months at an absurd price now. Good luck with the flip
I don’t understand the animosity. I paid the lady her asking price (which was in the hundreds) and we were both happy.

Thank you for the comment though!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I don’t understand the animosity. I paid the lady her asking price (which was in the hundreds) and we were both happy.

Thank you for the comment though!
It's not uncommon for people to join this forum to get their Buco (which they bought cheap) appraised only to list it on eBay for a ridiculous asking price a day after.

I paid the lady her asking price (which was in the hundreds)

I want to be sure I paid her fairly.

Well, now you know. If you paid ''in the hundreds", you didn't pay her fairly.

reaganmullins

New in Town
It's not uncommon for people to join this forum to get their Buco (which they bought cheap) appraised only to list it on eBay for a ridiculous asking price a day after.

Well, now you know. If you paid ''in the hundreds", you didn't pay her fairly.
It’s my size so I don’t plan on listing it immediately. It’ll stay with me a bit unless someone does come forward with a respectable offer that I can’t refuse. In the meantime, I’m here to gain knowledge; it’s one of my favorite things to do! Thank you for your input.

For the life of me I can't figure out why these Buco's sell for what they do. IMO you probably overpaid and the next buyer will over pay too and so will all subsequent buyers until the mystique behind a fairly common (albeit "iconic") but rather mediocre motorcycle jacket from the 50's finally finds the resting spot it deserves...far below Cal leathers of the same era...(which sell for a fraction of Buco)

Nacho

Practically Family
Tanaka really hyped up Buco in his books. So for many people, especially new to this, that’s their reference point. They haven’t handled enough vintage jackets to realize Buco was just another leather brand back in the 50s. It’s not like they won an award for best leather jacket ever or anything. It also doesn’t help that these jackets listed for an absurd amount of price on all selling platforms.

Nothing wrong with owning a Buco at a decent price. It’s an excellent addition to your collection. But there are many cool vintage brands that should deserve a little more attention than Buco.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
For the life of me I can't figure out why these Buco's sell for what they do. IMO you probably overpaid and the next buyer will over pay too and so will all subsequent buyers until the mystique behind a fairly common (albeit "iconic") but rather mediocre motorcycle jacket from the 50's finally finds the resting spot it deserves...far below Cal leathers of the same era...(which sell for a fraction of Buco)
I have to disagree with you. Some j24's are exceptionally nice jackets, both in terms of leather and construction quality. My hh j24 is one of the nicest vintage jackets in my collection.

The later steerhide ones aren't all that nice though. The topcoat wears off very fast and the stitching is pretty sloppy.

IMG_7510.jpeg

IMG_7519.jpeg

Later steerhide j24l

IMG_2663.jpeg

reaganmullins

New in Town
We can partially thank Rin Tanaka for that.

reaganmullins

New in Town
I have to disagree with you. Some j24's are exceptionally nice jackets, both in terms of leather and construction quality. My hh j24 is one of the nicest vintage jackets in my collection.

The later steerhide ones aren't all that nice though. The topcoat wears off very fast and the stitching is pretty sloppy.

View attachment 529260
View attachment 529261

Later steerhide j24l

View attachment 529262
In relation to the quality of the steerhide Buco jackets I’ve had/seen, I can agree on the quality comparison to the horsehide counterparts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner