Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I don't think the original poster did anything wrong or offensive.

1. He bought a jacket that he knew was underpriced. Nothing wrong with that, It's not his responsibility to do research for the original seller. As someone who has purchased many overpriced jackets, I hold no malice to those who took my money. It's upt to me to take care of my money. Seller listed it at that price and I am sure they were happy to have the money.
2. He came on here to get a better idea of worth. He admits all though he a flipper he doesn't deal with leather jackets so much. I personally think it's difficult to value vintage jackets, the styles,brand, year,size,type of leather and type of zipper can have a big influence on value. Most ebay listings don't have that information but many people on this forum can tell with a glance. Why not ask the worth.
3. He does send additional money to seller. This might have been a bad idea, whenever I try to sell for "what it's worth" I get less. Nevertheless he will probably do ok
4. He says it's not for sale at this time unless someone make him a great offer. I have about 50 jackets that I wear and are not for sale, but if some made me a great offer I might sell. How many people here buy jackets with the idea that they are going to wear them for a while or just study them and then sell them later. Probably the most respected member of this forum buys and sells jackets regularly, even those that he knows won't fit him. I have no problem with that and I hope he makes a profit on every by one, as he is such a resource .
5. He respond to hostile replies with refusal to engage and wishing the instigator well. Exactly what my mom told me todo
Perhaps if he’d mentioned that he was a flipper in post #1 instead of post #38 it could have cut down on some of the confusion. Up until that point some were still going on the premise that he’d found his forever jacket and wanted to make sure he paid enough for it…

Rgcards

A-List Customer
It’s my size so I don’t plan on listing it immediately. It’ll stay with me a bit unless someone does come forward with a respectable offer that I can’t refuse. In the meantime, I’m here to gain knowledge; it’s one of my favorite things to do! Thank you for your input.
I’ve been after one of these for years and I’m so happy to finally have one. Thanks in advance!
I am, in many instances, a “flipper”. I sold vintage clothing and antiques as my main source of income for years. However, leather goods are not my “forte”. With that being said, I am passionate about the jackets and their history and I’m here to learn more.
It seems like although he has flipped, it's not his main intention with this one

AHP91

Practically Family
The whole thread was essential an advertisement for a jacket for sale. Not only that, they wanted to get a gauge of how high they can get for it. You can see by the first response (in which I half-jokingly asked to purchase it) how they were receptive to engaging in talks.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with purchasing a jacket as a steal and intending to make some money off it. I’m not down with someone who wants to utilize a community’s knowledge and hard work in order to engage in price setting, especially when feigning an ulterior motive (“been looking for this jacket, etc etc)

There are ways to go about gaining more knowledge and thus value of jackets (or most items). Threads such as this one do not fly with me.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
Well if anyone hands you a Cal for free, I’m sure I or most others will relieve you of that burden.
Wouldn't you be taking advantage of me if you didn't do the research and offer me full market value

AHP91

Practically Family
Wouldn't you be taking advantage of me if you didn't do the research and offer me full market value

Please reread the progression of this thread and my response in particular. According to the original poster, the entire point of the thread was to “ensure the original owner was paid correctly” (not my words). As such, they received a response. It was never my prerogative or viewpoint to ensure that all transactions result in the assurance that a seller be paid market value for their item.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That thread has zero comments about them chasing dollars or flipping. Granted it’s not ‘exactly’ the same situation, but I was still happy to get the jacket and still own it. And yes, I paid the premium. Both parties were happy, like I’m assuming would happen if this OP decided to sell. It’s almost like a turf war on here sometimes, but yes it’s much better then other sites.
Different situation indeed. In your case you bought a first owner jacket from the first owner's son in law. He didn't buy it on eBay for cheap.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/original-buco-leather-jacket-information-needed.106756/

As long as I am being unpopular, i like buco way more than cal. I don't even think I would take a cal for free, except to have one. I've had a couple and sold them cheap. Buco may not have better leather or stitching but I think their designs and fit are way better
Not me
Buco:
IMG_7102.jpeg

CAL:
IMG_7600.jpeg

I won’t touch old M/C jackets with a 10’ pole these days. Had way too many and they all fit me like an 80’s perforated, Rocky III style half shirt.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
As long as I am being unpopular, i like buco way more than cal. I don't even think I would take a cal for free, except to have one. I've had a couple and sold them cheap. Buco may not have better leather or stitching but I think their designs and fit are way better
Please send any Cals my way...;). They fit me alright :)

PXL_20230417_203909283~2crop.jpg

I'll even pay for them. I would never pay a market price for a Buco. The price/value ratio is just not there for me.

reaganmullins

New in Town
I’m on vacation and haven’t been able to respond to all of the recent comments but I still encourage the conversation within this post. Thank you all for your insight!

Once I am home, I will do my best to post some other things and hopefully continue the conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner