Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reaganmullins

New in Town
Nome of this is adding up. If the OP is an experienced vintage reseller, why did he not already know what the jacket is worth and why did he need to come on here to ask us about the value? That makes absolutely no sense to me.
I’m not sure if you saw my reply to a previous comment, but I did have a general idea of the value of the jacket. I knew it was worth enough for me to buy it for what it was listed for. I simply wanted a little more insight into its true value. Thanks to a couple of kind folks, I now have a ballpark idea on that number.

As I stated before, I simply wanted to be sure that I am as fair as possible in pricing if/when I decide to sell. I am not here to “pull a fast one” over on anyone. Hopefully that makes sense :)

reaganmullins

New in Town
Nome of this is adding up. If the OP is an experienced vintage reseller, why did he not already know what the jacket is worth and why did he need to come on here to ask us about the value? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I apologize if myself and others are being harsh, but this all appears quite disingenuous to me. Of course, things don't always come across clearly on the internet. I hope I am wrong.

Certainly, I'll be happy if the OP becomes a great contributing member to this forum. I got off on the wrong foot with a lot of members that I quite like a lot now.

@reaganmullins to answer your last reply to me: the way you posted does not come off like you are just sharing the jacket. The fact that you said you aren't sure if you paid fairly and then only a post or so later immediately say you're willing to sell it for the right price comes off extremely poorly. To myself and many others here, that makes it seem immediately as if you are taking advantage of the knowledge on here and the members on here. That may not have been your intention, but that's how it appears. We have had many people do the same thing recently, hence the hostility.
I just read the post about the J-82 and belt and I can see the concern. As stated before, I haven’t posted on the forum before and am doing my best to learn the ropes.

I hope that I have explained myself well enough in previous comments to clear up the confusion!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I just read the post about the J-82 and belt and I can see the concern. As stated before, I haven’t posted on the forum before and am doing my best to learn the ropes.

I hope that I have explained myself well enough in previous comments to clear up the confusion!
Yeah that probably explains everything a bit more. As I said, I hope I am wrong and that you are being fully genuine. It seems more and more that you are and I apologize. I think some of your wording made things seem a bit more disingenuous than you intended or perhaps I simply read things wrong. There is a lot or disagreement on flipping jackets in general here so that's another reason for the response. The general etiquette here is you sell a vintage jacket to a fellow tfl member for the same price you paid for it. That's what I did with my last jacket I sent on to a member here and I've even been gifted a jacket from a member here.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I look at this group like the dyed in the wool fans of a sports team. They live, eat and breath the undying love of the team and watch every game like it might be their last. It is all about loyalty, history and tradition. As the old saying goes, “there’s no I in team”.

Others gamble on sports, search out knowledge from the faithful for “an edge” to help their agenda and check in only for the final result. It matters not if the team wins or loses as long as they themself win. It’s more business than hobby and the emotions that guide it are different as well. Both are acceptable endeavors, just not always compatible within the same group.

Perhaps I’ve misjudged Mr. Mullins, but I kind of got a “flipper of the week” vibe. Hope he shows a little love for the game and not just the final score.

reaganmullins

New in Town
I look at this group like the dyed in the wool fans of a sports team. They live, eat and breath the undying love of the team and watch every game like it might be their last. It is all about loyalty, history and tradition. As the old saying goes, “there’s no I in team”.

Others gamble on sports, search out knowledge from the faithful for “an edge” to help their agenda and check in only for the final result. It matters not if the team wins or loses as long as they themself win. It’s more business than hobby and the emotions that guide it are different as well. Both are acceptable endeavors, just not always compatible within the same group.

Perhaps I’ve misjudged Mr. Mullins, but I kind of got a “flipper of the week” vibe. Hope he shows a little love for the game and not just the final score.
I’m going to do my best to interact as much as possible going forward, I’ll have more to post soon!

I never saw us this way, but you make a great analogy here!

(Go Dodgers! :p)

AHP91

Practically Family
This place is (usually) different than other snarky forums…and we take pride in that. I’m looking forward to your insights, and seeing your collection. As a vintage dealer (there are others here too) you have a different perspective than us hobbyists. Just beware that early morning and late-night posts are also subject to “outside influences.”

Respectfully, I disagree. I assume you referred to the timing of my post when I woke up having something to do with what I wrote? In which case I can't really equate the two, as I don't drink (especially first thing in the morning).

This is a common theme across hobbyist forums - a case in which someone comes along with a score, wishing to get a quick appraisal. They then quickly disappear and the item is listed at a tremendously high price point.

A bit of common sense and reading comprehension and you can see the progression of this thread - mainly in which someone wants to get an idea of how much collectors will pay for an item, while mentioning it is available for sale. I don't know about you, but the last thing I would do after purchasing a jacket I've been scouring for and which fits is advertise that it can be bought for a "price I can't refuse".

It's very good to be welcoming and open to new members asking questions. However, I will never participate in these sorts of quick appraisals, and will not hesitate to reiterate how these inquiries do absolutely no good to communities (and in fact, hurt them).

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It's very good to be welcoming and open to new members asking questions. However, I will never participate in these sorts of quick appraisals, and will not hesitate to reiterate how these inquiries do absolutely no good to communities (and in fact, hurt them).
Also, who cares about the monetary value of a jacket after it has been bought? I never think about the $ value of a jacket I'm wearing, it's not about that. Unless you bought it to flip it and make a profit. In that case monetary value does matter.

mumpy

A-List Customer
This place is (usually) different than other snarky forums…and we take pride in that. I’m looking forward to your insights, and seeing your collection. As a vintage dealer (there are others here too) you have a different perspective than us hobbyists. Just beware that early morning and late-night posts are also subject to “outside influences.”
Why? You don't drink in the afternoon?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also, who cares about the monetary value of a jacket after it has been bought? I never think about the $ value of a jacket I'm wearing, it's not about that. Unless you bought it to flip it and make a profit. In that case monetary value does matter.

After scoring an amazing jacket, most people are too busy posting fit pics, not asking how much its actually worth.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
My only Buco, I bought through this forum about 6 months before the other thread mentioned (with the defensive flipper). The seller, did exactly the same thing that is being chastised, now more recently in similar listings. They came here with the jacket, asking for a price, and watched as estimations and PMs arrived. That thread has zero comments about them chasing dollars or flipping. Granted it’s not ‘exactly’ the same situation, but I was still happy to get the jacket and still own it. And yes, I paid the premium. Both parties were happy, like I’m assuming would happen if this OP decided to sell. It’s almost like a turf war on here sometimes, but yes it’s much better then other sites.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Oh, and a quick suggestion on the Buco over-hype, made in Detroit may hold some significance. The city’s resurgence in the last few decades has caught a lot of attention from investors and entrepreneurs. Shinola watches have built an entire brand around putting ‘made in Detroit’ on watch faces.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
Very true. To expand on this, the only time that I ever think about the price paid for something….is when I’m unsatisfied with it. When I’m happy and the item is all it was supposed to be, it’s like the financial aspect of it never happened. It’s strange.

Aloysius

My only Buco, I bought through this forum about 6 months before the other thread mentioned (with the defensive flipper). The seller, did exactly the same thing that is being chastised, now more recently in similar listings. They came here with the jacket, asking for a price, and watched as estimations and PMs arrived. That thread has zero comments about them chasing dollars or flipping. Granted it’s not ‘exactly’ the same situation, but I was still happy to get the jacket and still own it. And yes, I paid the premium. Both parties were happy, like I’m assuming would happen if this OP decided to sell. It’s almost like a turf war on here sometimes, but yes it’s much better then other sites.

I mean even as of the thread everyone is referring to, people thought I was out of line for assuming the guy was a flipper. It was after he was proven to be so that we sort of collectively realized what these guys are about.

And I don’t think it’s wrong to be bothered by this phenomenon. The same thing has happened in all manner of ‘vintage’ interests, like records.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
I don't think the original poster did anything wrong or offensive.

1. He bought a jacket that he knew was underpriced. Nothing wrong with that, It's not his responsibility to do research for the original seller. As someone who has purchased many overpriced jackets, I hold no malice to those who took my money. It's upt to me to take care of my money. Seller listed it at that price and I am sure they were happy to have the money.
2. He came on here to get a better idea of worth. He admits all though he a flipper he doesn't deal with leather jackets so much. I personally think it's difficult to value vintage jackets, the styles,brand, year,size,type of leather and type of zipper can have a big influence on value. Most ebay listings don't have that information but many people on this forum can tell with a glance. Why not ask the worth.
3. He does send additional money to seller. This might have been a bad idea, whenever I try to sell for "what it's worth" I get less. Nevertheless he will probably do ok
4. He says it's not for sale at this time unless someone make him a great offer. I have about 50 jackets that I wear and are not for sale, but if some made me a great offer I might sell. How many people here buy jackets with the idea that they are going to wear them for a while or just study them and then sell them later. Probably the most respected member of this forum buys and sells jackets regularly, even those that he knows won't fit him. I have no problem with that and I hope he makes a profit on every by one, as he is such a resource .
5. He respond to hostile replies with refusal to engage and wishing the instigator well. Exactly what my mom told me todo

Rgcards

A-List Customer
Bottom line. Everyone has to eat. He's not scamming anyone, any more than the dealer who charged my 3000 more than sticker for my Toyota. I waited 2 years to get it and there were 20 people after me on the waiting list

Aloysius

I’m not talking about the current OP; Ross was discussing the previous threads.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
As long as I am being unpopular, i like buco way more than cal. I don't even think I would take a cal for free, except to have one. I've had a couple and sold them cheap. Buco may not have better leather or stitching but I think their designs and fit are way better

AHP91

Practically Family
As long as I am being unpopular, i like buco way more than cal. I don't even think I would take a cal for free, except to have one. I've had a couple and sold them cheap. Buco may not have better leather or stitching but I think their designs and fit are way better

Well if anyone hands you a Cal for free, I’m sure I or most others will relieve you of that burden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner