Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage Schott cafe racer on eBay

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Was anyone reading this the high bidder on this jacket?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331513563762

$_57 (7).jpg $_57 (6).jpg

I was watching it, hoping it'd stay low enough for me to put in a bid, but after a bidding war it ended up going for a fairly high price, I thought. Beautiful leather.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That does seem quite a lot doesn't it? It's always a bit iffy when I see this, and a few old brown perfectos that are very nice go for large sums, only to be relisted a week or two later....it seems to happen quite regularly.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Looking at the bidding history, there were a few people who REALLY wanted it, and they got into a bidding war in the last 24 hours. I didn't think it'd go for more than $250, considering it has no tags and was re-lined. But I have to hand it to the seller for taking great pictures of it.

Whoever bought this should demand their money back as it is NOT a Schott, but Lesco Leathers Cafe Racer!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LES...cycle-Jacket-Mens-38-With-Liner-/221604813427
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Rare-LE...r-Leather-Jacket-Size-42-SERVAL-/191325415991

This isn't to say that Lesco is in any way inferior, whoever bought it got themselves a good jacket - for not too good of a deal, as Lesco's in a really good condition rarely go above $200 - but it's this sort of misrepresentation that pisses me off to no end. The seller knows that Schott jackets will go for a much higher price and thus resorts to such blatant lies. I see it all the time. You rip a tag off your old jacket and it instantly becomes a Schott. Fascinating stuff.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
You guys are not seeing this from british eyes...

If you can find a Schott jacket in the uk you will pay a ridiculous amount of money for it, a $749 Schott 141 would sell for £749 in the uk, which is a $350 price increase.
Once you consider this, paying $475 for a great looking vintage jacket is a pretty good deal. I would have happily paid that much for that jacket!

edit: the previous post does change things a lot!

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Whoever bought this should demand their money back as it is NOT a Schott, but Lesco Leathers Cafe Racer!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LES...cycle-Jacket-Mens-38-With-Liner-/221604813427
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Rare-LE...r-Leather-Jacket-Size-42-SERVAL-/191325415991

This isn't to say that Lesco is in any way inferior, whoever bought it got themselves a good jacket - for not too good of a deal, as Lesco's in a really good condition rarely go above $200 - but it's this sort of misrepresentation that pisses me off to no end. The seller knows that Schott jackets will go for a much higher price and thus resorts to such blatant lies. I see it all the time. You rip a tag off your old jacket and it instantly becomes a Schott. Fascinating stuff.
You must have a good eye. How are you able to make a positive ID that it's a Lesco?

I often see sellers listing multiple comparable brands in their titles, I assume to increase traffic from people searching for the other brands who may not know about the actual maker... But usually these do represent who the maker is accurately,or when in doubt disclaim that it is their best guess. The item in this case, the seller is claiming that it is a real Schott so if it's not, it is being misrepresented. But still a beautiful example of a quality jacket if it's a Lesco.

Many vintage CR's look very much alike, and the fact that it was Schott that produced jackets for many different brands only further complicates things, but I still find it relatively simple to spot a Lesco jacket because of the few distinct design features that are unique only to them - like the large shoulder gussets. If you compare this jacket with the two Lescos I've posted, you'll see that there's no difference at all.

TBH though, penny_bizzare seller has so far always been very honest and straightforward about their stuff, so perhaps it's an honest mistake.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, compared directly against those known Lescos, they're identical in design. Good eye to be able to spot that!

Edward

Bartender
You guys are not seeing this from british eyes...

If you can find a Schott jacket in the uk you will pay a ridiculous amount of money for it, a $749 Schott 141 would sell for £749 in the uk, which is a $350 price increase.
Once you consider this, paying $475 for a great looking vintage jacket is a pretty good deal. I would have happily paid that much for that jacket!

edit: the previous post does change things a lot!

Yeah, sadly that goes for just about anything American made - leather jackets, denim, electric guitars, you name it.... Still, with the dollar as strong as we're only getting one and a half odds to the pound nowadays, we're at least not getting shafted as badly as back when there were USD2.2 dollars to the pound, and they still responded by just switching the $ to a £.

Hells, it's not even only US manufactured goods they do it with. I remember discovering just how ludicrously cheap the Gap was in the US by comparison to the UK, and I'd be surprised if a single garment in a UK GAP store has even been near the US ,much less been manufactured there.

Edward, yep, same in Germany or any other European country. When I was looking to buy a Schott jacket in Berlin, I quickly had to give up when I saw the price. Even thought eBay resellers, the 618 costs around 900 Euro which makes around 1000 USD... And I'd rather turn to LL or Aero for that kind of money, simply because don't have to risk it with the wrong size.

Guppy, I've done my homework on Perfectos and Cafe Racers, so if you find a jacket you're in any doubt about, drop me a PM and I'll try my best to help you.

This Schott is the closest match to the jacket you were looking at, 351360658102 , and it's going for a good price!

IXL

One Too Many
Guppy, I've done my homework on Perfectos and Cafe Racers, so if you find a jacket you're in any doubt about, drop me a PM and I'll try my best to help you.

This is the kind of attitude and spirit of helpfulness that draws me to this place! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred