Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Suit Stinks

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I got an old suit at a resale shop for 3 bucks and I really like it. It had a REALLY bad B.O scent to it so I took it to the cleaners, now 8 dollars later it still smells the same. How could they miss this?? Anyway, I'm going to take it back tomorrow, but in the mean time has anyone had a problem with old suits smelling bad? Any cures?

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Ditto... Give the suit a healthy dose of Febreze and hang it outside, preferably in a place with plenty of sunshine.

I've tried this method with several foul-smelling suits and it worked like a charm. I'm always cautious not to spray too much Febreze on the lining, but then I've never noticed any stains afterward, so there really shouldn't be a problem.

If your suit still has some lingering odeur, just repeat the process (a good steaming should also help).

matei

One Too Many
I have a similar problem - an old suit that I picked up smells of mildew.

It has been wreaking (reeking ha ha ha) revenge in the department's coat closet, as I haven't been able to bring it home yet.

I contacted a local drycleaners that I use frequently and they said that they'll be able to de-funkify my suit.

They managed to get a wicked stain out of my favourite tie, and not shred it to bits - so I have faith in their abilities.

I'd do the Febreze trick, but I don't have anywhere to hang the suit outside.

Wild Root

Gone Home
"F" Fabreeze!

Dude, you don't want to put that crap on your suits! Vintage don't like modern day voo-doo witch doctor sprays! It's bad for the fabric and will weaken it! I have talked to many vintage collectors and they say: NO FABREEZE!

What you need to do is get a spray bottle and fill it with half water and half Vodka! Mix it up and then turn the coat inside out... spray the liner of the sleeves and he inside of the coat... even spray the outside of the coat if that smells too. Let it sit out side in the shade... NOT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT! BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

Vintage doesn't like direct sunlight, it will fade it a little even for as little as 8 hours.

Hang it up, air it out, even if you put moth balls in the closet (which you should have anyway) will kill the smell to a point.

Another alternative is a new type of cleaning called "Wet Cleaning" I have heard it's good for suits but, not for delicate women's clothes.

Taken from vintage dealers who have done this for 10 years or more.

=WR=

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the responses. I already fabreezed it so it's too late for Wildroot's recommendation. I didn't use much though so I may have to try the vodka/water. It's a early 60s suit so it's nothing classic 40s, so if it gets ruined it's not THAT great of a loss.

I can see myself getting pulled over wearing this suit. "Officer I swear I cleaned my suit with Vodka".

Wild Root

Gone Home
FredDairy said:

I can see myself getting pulled over wearing this suit. "Officer I swear I cleaned my suit with Vodka".

(1940's Irish police man's voice) lol lol lol Sure you did lad, is that what they're calling it these days?lol

Seriously now, the water and vodka mix is best, it will not leave an odder of vodka, it will evaporate and leave your clothes smelling as they should. Since it's a 60's suit, it might not work if the fabric contains any synthetic fibers. I find that anything that has Poly in it will hold to that stink like crazy! Natural fibers will air out much nicer then any poly blends.

=WR=

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Odour

Starbucks often give out free samples of coffee beans in little bags. I have put these in the pockets of malodorous clothing to good effect, while airing outside. It leaves a homely roast coffee aroma. I sometimes use Febreeze on the lining of a vintage item, but I wouldn't use it on the exterior.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not a myth... a lady who has dealt with vintage clothes for 15 years has told me about the water/vodka mix... says it's especially good to use after sweating in a vintage suit... it kills the odder, cleans it as it evaporates and will take the smell away that attracts moths!

All good things!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
I don't think so... has to be straight vodka mixed 1/2 water from what I understand... she didn't go into detail on what brand to buy.lol

Funny: Yeah, I hear Smirnoff works better! Gets the stink out faster!lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart