Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested Doctor Who / Das Boot Coat

kobol

New in Town
Good Day All,
I just wanted to share a couple of quick pics of my new Wested Doctor Who / Das Boot coat. It was ordered as a size large in dark brown horse. In looking over this jacket closely, I must say Wested did a fine job in making this coat. The turn around wasn't bad also. I ordered on Dec. 31 and received the jacket today on Jan. 26. For the moment I'm very pleased.
Sorry in advance for the photo quality, they were quickly shot from my cell phone.

coat1.jpg

coat2.jpg

coat3.jpg

Fiver64

Practically Family
Leather thickness

Great looking jacket! What is the thickness of the leather like? I've often wondered about the hides Wested uses, as I have only seen one Indy jacket in my life, and the lambskin was (IMHO) rather flimsy. I look forward to hearing more when you have a chance to break it in a bit!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fiver64 said:
Great looking jacket! What is the thickness of the leather like? I've often wondered about the hides Wested uses, as I have only seen one Indy jacket in my life, and the lambskin was (IMHO) rather flimsy. I look forward to hearing more when you have a chance to break it in a bit!

Lambskin usually is flimsly. It is more of a dress leather & is not designed for rough wear like goatskin or horse hide is.

kobol

New in Town
This is my second horsehide jacket from Wested. My first was a horsehide Raiders jacket. I have had it for almost 2 years now with no problems so far. I would guess their horse is around 2.5 - 3oz. I really like their horsehide for casual jackets. It's pretty flexible and feels strong, but there is a little added weight compared to their other leathers. Their horse is also rather smooth with just a little grain appearing here and there.
It's nowhere near as stiff as my horsehide Goodwear A-2 or Flight Jackets A-2 nor as grainy.

I look forward to breaking it in and really like that it's not quite as common as other jackets.

kobol

New in Town
I looked at the Bad Wolf, and it does indeed look like a fine coat. After having my Goodwear made, I just couldn't spend that kind of money on another coat so soon. In the future maybe. I hope you get your Bad Wolf soon Daniel Hunter and please post some pics when you do. I look forward to seeing it and hearing your comments.
I opted for dark brown so it would match my brown AB fedora.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Can you unbutton the cuff strap and wrap it around the other way to tighten the cuff?

That's the only function I can think of since I've never seen a second button on the cuff of one of these coats.

kobol

New in Town
I've never had a problem with emails to Wested like some I read about. After a couple of emails with Wested about this jacket, I also called and spoke with Peter to place my order.
To date I have had good luck with both email and telephone. I do pose my basic queston in the subject line and try to keep my email brief and to the point as I imagine they get quite a few emails. I'm not sure if this has helped any, but I know I always receive answers to my inquiries.

Chris V

New in Town
I noticed this thread's a few years old. As far as emails with Wested goes I've not had any problems with them (apart from Gemma only refering to me as Dear Sir, despite my ok to call me Chris) :)

I'm currently waiting on some leather samples that I ordered from them for their Doctor Who/U-boat jacket. Only placed the order today and it was 3 British Pounds via paypal.

majormajor

One Too Many
Wested seem quite easy to contact these days. And their stuff is great value.

However, I found buying a jacket quite hard. They are unable to give measurements for their latest Raiders jackets because they are made to order. And because they are made to order, they are unreturnable if badly sized. An impossible Catch 22 situation IMHO....:eeek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I hope you appreciated the delicious irony of somebody with your online handle being faced with this Catch-22, MM :D

Peacoat

Bartender
Good show. The first pic looks like a grey coat, as in Das Boot. The second appears brown, and the last looks black. What is the actual color of your coat? I am still thinking about a leather peacoat and narrowing my choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats