Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Dear Stefan, thank you for your interest. I'm in an unclosed area.
The provinces of Verona, Vicenza and Rovigo in the north-west Veneto are open as well as the province of Belluno, in the north of the same region. We are the corridors to get from the center to Northern Italy and Europe. The south central part of the peninsula is completely free from contagion dangers. Life is a bit strange though. No public, sporting and religious gatherings and a lot of people on the street walking. Schools of all grades closed. It looks like an "ancient" situation or an appendix to the 1973 oil crisis. We will see development in the coming weeks
Glad you are well Daniele

Dear Stefan, thank you for your interest. I'm in an unclosed area.
The provinces of Verona, Vicenza and Rovigo in the north-west Veneto are open as well as the province of Belluno, in the north of the same region. We are the corridors to get from the center to Northern Italy and Europe. The south central part of the peninsula is completely free from contagion dangers. Life is a bit strange though. No public, sporting and religious gatherings and a lot of people on the street walking. Schools of all grades closed. It looks like an "ancient" situation or an appendix to the 1973 oil crisis. We will see development in the coming weeks

We all hope this passes quickly. Stay well, my friend.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Pecan Tatton Baird for todays adventure. Texas Bluebonnets in the garden this morning.
20200308_101956_copy_1008x1344.jpg
20200308_102043_copy_1008x1344.jpg
20200308_103314.jpg
20200308_103634.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Took my Randal Alan block for another test run for an easy project on this neglected 7 5/8 Columbia made 'Puerto Fino' hat that was in bad need of the four REEs. Ree-furbishment, REE-sized, REE-blocked, and REE-styled. I blocked this hat down three sizes from a tapered up 7 5/8 crown that had a 3 1/4 inches wide brim to a straight sided crowned 7 1/4 with a 2 3/4 brim. I was able to reuse everything that was original to the hat. I'll have more later in the Conversion Corral. The camera on my cell phone literally sucks so the picture quality is pretty bad. Here's a few pictures in different lighting....

Before:
Puerto-Fino-4-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-5-A.jpg

Reblocked and sized down three sizes to a straight sided 7 1/4 on my RA block:

Puerto-Fino-14-A.jpg

After: Everything original to the hat went back in, even the sweat which I was able to cut down and fit into the hat:
(Picture quality is terrible. It's hard to photograph a black hat). A few pictures under different lighting:
Puerto-Fino-1-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-2-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-20-A.jpg

Last edited:

Rumad

One Too Many
Took my Randal Alan block for another test run for an easy project on this neglected 7 5/8 Columbia made 'Puerto Fino' hat that was in bad need of the four REEs. Ree-furbishment, REE-sized, REE-blocked, and REE-styled. I blocked this hat down three sizes from a tapered up 7 5/8 crown that had a 3 1/4 inches wide brim to a straight sided crowned 7 1/4 with a 2 3/4 brim. I was able to reuse everything that was original to the hat. I'll have more later in the Conversion Corral. The camera on my cell phone literally sucks so the picture quality is pretty bad. Here's a few pictures in different lighting....

Before:
Puerto-Fino-4-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-5-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-14-A.jpg

After: Everything original to the hat went back in, even the sweat which I was able to cut down and and fit into the hat:
(Picture quality is terrible. It's hard to photograph a black hat). A few pictures under different lighting:
Puerto-Fino-1-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-2-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-20-A.jpg
That’s amazing that you were able to do that. It looks fantastic and it’s got to be my favorite of your rebuilds. Excellent dang work buddy.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Before:
Puerto-Fino-4-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-5-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-14-A.jpg

After: Everything original to the hat went back in, even the sweat which I was able to cut down and fit into the hat:
Puerto-Fino-1-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-2-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-20-A.jpg

Nice, Terry. How’s the felt on that hat?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

Before:
Puerto-Fino-4-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-5-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-14-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-1-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-2-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-20-A.jpg
No doubt you’re a pro at up sizing, down sizing and up grading, with the 4 “Rees”, to which there is never a down side...with most hats and brands, imho. A well executed improvement is always a good thing with most, not all, but most any lid.
But to take a Puerto Fino and transmogrify it into a desirable lid is a transcending feat!
Great work, as always, Tim!
The old zenith is way cool!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
No doubt you’re a pro at up sizing, down sizing and up grading, with the 4 “Rees”, to which there is never a down side...with most hats and brands, imho. A well executed improvement is always a good thing with most, not all, but most any lid.
But to take a Puerto Fino and transmogrify it into a desirable lid is a transcending feat!
Great work, as always, Tim!
The old zenith is way cool!
Thank you buddy! Much appreciated!

Now that is one beautiful hat Jim.

Thank you!

Thank you Rumad! It was a fairly easy project since I was able to reuse all the original stuff.

That's a great job Terry.

View attachment 218818 A beautiful, unmuggy day down here.
A good day to sport about in my knew
Knifty Knox Fifteen. Even at quadruple the price it’s still a bargain!

View attachment 218817 View attachment 218819
Just needs a wind trolly, right Jim?
:)

Nice hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice, Terry. How’s the felt on that hat?
Thank you, Brent. To me, the felt seems like it's 'mid-quality', if that makes sense. It's not the best but it's definitely not the worst I've handled. It's a little on the heavy side for a fedora but it's certainly not Western weight. The liner would be what you'd expect for a modern hat, cheap. The sweat is mediocre but the ribbon is good quality, and the dye quality is pretty good too. I hardly had any run off when I got it wet. All in all I'd say that it's a decent mid-quality hat.

Thank you, Brent. To me, the felt seems like it's 'mid-quality', if that makes sense. It's not the best but it's definitely not the worst I've handled. It's a little on the heavy side for a fedora but it's certainly not Western weight. The liner would be what you'd expect for a modern hat, cheap. The sweat is mediocre but the ribbon is good quality, and the dye quality is pretty good too. I hardly had any run off when I got it wet. All in all I'd say that it's a decent mid-quality hat.

I feel the same about them. I wonder who the felter is. It would be nice to have access to another source of felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24