Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This has been a week for stingy brim beaters in my house. This little Aristocrat came filthy and the sweat cracked to pieces when I put the hat on my head. I gave it a gas bath and the white gas turned black immediately. I've never had a dirtier hat. Mike Miller blocked it for me me and put in a reeded sweat. It came with an unreeded sweat so the reblocking was necessary. In retrospect, I should have had Mike size it for my daughter and put the sweat in it for her 7-1/8 hat size...

Anyway, it looks pretty good from a distance. It's not until you handle the lid that you notice the mediocre felt with a cardboard-ish hand, LOL. There are white spots here and there reminiscent of sinew. Maybe this is 100X muscrat fur felt??? I scraped a big piece of sinew out of the front brim and now there is a divot in it's place.

i-dLbK2Z7-L.jpg

i-cbt94Ns-L.jpg

i-xWMhhrJ-XL.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This has been a week for stingy brim beaters in my house. This little Aristocrat came filthy and the sweat cracked to pieces when I put the hat on my head. I gave it a gas bath and the white gas turned black immediately. I've never had a dirtier hat. Mike Miller blocked it for me me and put in a reeded sweat. It came with an unreeded sweat so the reblocking was necessary. In retrospect, I should have had Mike size it for my daughter and put the sweat in it for her 7-1/8 hat size...

Anyway, it looks pretty good from a distance. It's not until you handle the lid that you notice the mediocre felt with a cardboard-ish hand, LOL. There are white spots here and there reminiscent of sinew. Maybe this is 100X muscrat fur felt??? I scraped a big piece of sinew out of the front brim and now there is a divot in it's place.

i-dLbK2Z7-L.jpg

i-cbt94Ns-L.jpg

i-xWMhhrJ-XL.jpg

It looks more than just good in the close ups. Nice job on making it so.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Been out of touch for a few days. Great hats shown by all! I kept up (somewhat) on my phone but my fat fingers are a challenge to comment sufficiently. Stiff felts were the hats for our Monteith House Trolley of Terror! I narrated tours through our historic districts of Albany telling the ghost stories of the Victorian homes.

Curvy brimmed Dobbs on an exceedingly windy morning
DSCN6125 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN6126 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN6130 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think a lazy day is in the offing
10-28-2018 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good one,
Michael
I endorse your lazy day proclamation Michael. If I could wear a hat for my nap, I would post a picture. Love that color and brim. Kind of reminds me of the "Huggy Bear" homburg. Where is Matt when you need him!

Is this the appropriate hat for harvesting black walnuts? (Hatatorium custom)

3014ccc5e537872a659bc02a934106ca.jpg

Uh...no. With a good breeze and forty-foot trees this is required (late ‘70s hard hat).

ac30ef4186c7cd4399303449400c33ad.jpg

The first round of walnuts are hulled and drying behind me. Lots more where those came from. The medium sized tree behind the house put out some massive walnuts this year!
After we gather enough we’ll head to the huller.
I feel better now that I see that a hard hat won the day. Great looking color on that brimmed beauty though.

Sunday morning coming down under Greg's Stetsonian.

be9e973821e453068d51075d49ca4dba.jpg

Brims up for Bob!
And a half smirk for Charlie.
Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Man I love that Stetson Jim! One of your best!

Some great hats posted today fellas. Thanks for sharing.
Here's my Sunday contribution, a Hückel Homburg. I've been in a Homburg frame of mind this past month or so. Luckily, Stefan (this one) and Daniele have been able to keep me well supplied.
bf5c4660e282953907c9bbd16ad103a5.jpg

Outstanding Hückel Steve. That color and brim curl really draw my eye to this one. Is it 1950s?

40’s Whippet before heading out for brunch.
Cheers!
David
Wow! What a Whippet David. Really a joy to see this one.

This late '40s - early '50s Stetson Nutria Western conversion has seen its share of being taken apart, converted a few times, and reblocked to size. It's faded out some over the years and developed a couple of small weak spots on the brim and on the crown. I was able to fix the the brim and the small weak spot on the crown is something I can live with since I'm not going to be mishandling it. In any event, it won't see any more conversions and it has a good long life ahead and should see a good deal of wear time. It's not the most perfect hat by any means but it does look like it's been well worn and broke in by an everyday blue collar guy some years ago.
My-Nutria-11-A.jpg
That nutria felt looks so supple Terry. I think it is just perfect now. You are amazing.

My new Stetson One Hundred
de4fae9792b8b0c09b2cb384e55176c8.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Impressive Max. Love the color of that ribbon with that felt.

Barbisio

97a2adfaf2e2f37cbd8611dd50deb434.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Super crisp and clean look to this Barbisio Brent.

i-cbt94Ns-L.jpg

You are right, it does look good from a distance Doug. Did Mike rebind the edge as well? Interesting lining, probably a jobber generic. I wonder who actually made this one?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Been out of touch for a few days. Great hats shown by all! I kept up (somewhat) on my phone but my fat fingers are a challenge to comment sufficiently. Stiff felts were the hats for our Monteith House Trolley of Terror! I narrated tours through our historic districts of Albany telling the ghost stories of the Victorian homes.

I endorse your lazy day proclamation Michael. If I could wear a hat for my nap, I would post a picture. Love that color and brim. Kind of reminds me of the "Huggy Bear" homburg. Where is Matt when you need him!

I feel better now that I see that a hard hat won the day. Great looking color on that brimmed beauty though.

Man I love that Stetson Jim! One of your best!

Outstanding Hückel Steve. That color and brim curl really draw my eye to this one. Is it 1950s?

Wow! What a Whippet David. Really a joy to see this one.

That nutria felt looks so supple Terry. I think it is just perfect now. You are amazing.

Impressive Max. Love the color of that ribbon with that felt.

Super crisp and clean look to this Barbisio Brent.

You are right, it does look good from a distance Doug. Did Mike rebind the edge as well? Interesting lining, probably a jobber generic. I wonder who actually made this one?
Thank you, Mike! Aside from looking faded it's definitely a nice hat.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
"

Outstanding Hückel Steve. That color and brim curl really draw my eye to this one. Is it 1950s?"

Thanks Red. I believe it is 1950s and probably early 50s. Here are some photos of the inside.
a7b2cd3194540d77293674ea1c2e4239.jpg
7a56bd130b2bca6cece073ade19fc781.jpg
84a76cf0910adab0227c7f5a249de460.jpg
a9826cdd16b0d93163ac21dc8a361fe9.jpg
39b2ff176f57ad028eaf9a379a8235d6.jpg
1233ae0e21c9fdc854ec87a55a47bc1f.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I am beginning my post with a copy of a Spetember 1940 Life magazine copy reminding us of the venerable vintage Stetson hat. Bon Vivants rule!

Stetson-Playboy-hat-ad-709x1030.jpg

Shortly ago I was out and about sport'n a vintage Stetson Playboy. I am sanguine spouting the merits of the vintage Stetson Playboy. These lighter weight felts (recently shared by many of my fellow posters) rock! I am certainly not speaking as a fellow Minnesotan this afternoon by my assured merits of this $5.00 hat, but rather one who wishes to emote conviction in my words. Yes conviction - the lighter weight vintage felts have become favs of mine.

Yes, on with the pics.

i-8KJskK5-M.jpg

i-wVdHJZc-M.jpg

i-ZThGQFv-M.jpg

The above said, plenty of head time is allowed for grand modern felts like the Gannon I wore yesterday evening. The beaver natural hued felt has an eye catching gill ribbon treatment.

i-nHQSj7M-M.jpg

i-THf7DrJ-M.jpg

Best to all, regardless of my non-Minnesotan opin this evening about Stetson Playboys, Eric -

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Great Panizza, Moehawk. Stefan sure knows how to find hats. I think we should hold a lid congress in Holland. Amsterdam anyone?
Looks like a Panizza with some age on it by the inner liner.
Hey folks!
This Panizza that I got in a trade with Stefan on a warm afternoon.

f251e63e04b278ff3a5932c71a46ab4b.jpg
3c3ed086b2a25c64db1e65d98e60e43a.jpg
abb2ac5e942541ac07c8057a1e827ef7.jpg
bf7d4ea7fb572eb0050ff42772e8e1e4.jpg

Have a great day!