Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Per usual, Terry: impeccable!!!
That c-crown is perfect! Are you doing those free hand or do you use a form?
I’m totally impressed with your talented ability to take any ole hat and make it conform perfectly to your wishes. (mine too, btw)
Jealous, too. :)
Love the colors of that Dobbs.
I simply must get off some of my money and buy one of those hat blocks one day. Among other real hat tools.
Thank you Randall! I appreciate that. I crease my hats free-handed.

The color on this Dobbs is really something. It's a testament to vintage quality, from the dyeing methods to the quality of felting and ribbon material. Under some light, this Dobbs has a brownish tone, and other another light it has a greenish coppery tone. It's a lost art.

Damn, they must have been pumping out some hats with that many employees !!
Tim, Thanks! JHS was the largest Fur Felt Factory in Central Europe. This is from 1909 so about the same time as the photo.

"Today, the factories cover a floor area of 44,500 m2 (square meters), the factory and warehouse building alone 18,800 m2.

Two fur magazines store the raw material procured at home and abroad of hares, rabbits and nutrias.

Approximately 16,000 skins are processed every day, and the hairdressing shop, the machine shop, the mill, dyeing, dressing and bar dyeing companies make their way to the packing rooms to leave the factory as ready-made hair felts. Our own carpentry, turnery, locksmithery, foundry and printing works - each company to the extent of a small factory - get the necessary tools. All working rooms are light and airy and with the most proven heating. and ventilation equipment (Sturtevant system). In the walk and dye rooms, the hot air blown in through a wide-ramified pipe system prevents any formation of haze; in the other workshops, suction devices operate with such success that the dust developed in the factory is eliminated to barely noticeable traces.

The machine equipment of the factory corresponds to the current state of the art. The most modern innovations and improvements in the field of machines are in use here.

Twelve steam boilers and four steam engines provide the operational power of 1100 horsepower.

The actual factory operation uniformly procured a steam engine of 600 horsepower, of which 250 are transmitted by electric means of 25 electric motors.

Two steam engines of 250 horsepower each serve the electrical lighting and the ventilation systems. The fourth 250 horsepower steam engine is the reserve. Feeding the boiler requires three wagons of coal daily.

The factory currently employs 2000 workers and a corresponding number of civil servants and factory managers; It is designed for a daily production of 5000 hair felts. The company has always been concerned with caring for the well-being of its officials, plant workers and workers."

From "J. Hückel´s Söhne 110 Year Anniversary".

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...utfabrik-weilheim/?do=findComment&comment=592

Great hat and Bandito mask Jim. Yeah, sometimes you just gotta have a cheeseburger, even if it's not in paradise.

Heh. Y'all will have me in a cattleman yet.

Kicking off a Sam Neill vibe there man. Looking good.
Johnny

I saw no dinosaurs...

Good choice on the ribbon, it's a nice combination with the felt and binding.

Thanks, it's a little less bracing without the orange.

Thank you, kemosabie!

You are welcome, Man Who Rescues Hats!

The ribbon color really goes well with that hat. Looks like a Sunday well spent. I gotta give Garland a call one of these days and see if I can score something nice.

I've grabbed some great lids there and the folks that work there are very helpful. I wonder if the Garland outlet is an essential business?

Two ounces never felted so good.

042120_1.jpg

042120_2.jpg

042120_3.jpg

042120_4.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Heh. Y'all will have me in a cattleman yet.

I saw no dinosaurs...

Thanks, it's a little less bracing without the orange.

You are welcome, Man Who Rescues Hats!

I've grabbed some great lids there and the folks that work there are very helpful. I wonder if the Garland outlet is an essential business?
"Man Who Rescues Hats"! Ha ha! I like it!

I called Garland once for a particular hat that was made for the Japanese market but they didn't have my size. It wouldn't hurt to try again, I guess. If the outlet isn't essential, it should be!

30 Days to 30 Hats - Day 20
Charles Knox Hatter

View attachment 229354

Charles Knox Hatter
Charcoal Grey with brownish undertones
5 inch as bashed crown
2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/8 brim with custom edge (Cavanagh edge)
Very cool Charles Knox Double Eagle hat pin

View attachment 229355
It is seemingly invariable that whenever I find a two-for or a three-for deal that there is one in the group I had my eye on as the reason for the purchase... however upon arrival a different hat turns out to be the real star. In this case... I had my eye on the brown Knox Flying Cloud as I have a grey one I really like and thought it would be a good companion. After arrival though it became apparent the hat I thought From the sellers photos was just another short brim black hat was actually the star of the show.

both hats were purchased from Jacob Reed’s Sons in Philadelphia, PA and both had an original retail price of $30 marked down to $15. My guess on these two hats would be late 1960s or early 1970’s.

I am not sure if the feathers will remain on this one... though in this photo they actually look nicer than I had thought. I think I did trim some of it off upon arrival.

View attachment 229375 View attachment 229376 View attachment 229377 View attachment 229378 View attachment 229379 View attachment 229380 View attachment 229374 View attachment 229381

Two thirds of the way to 30!
Which can only mean you need more hats, Joe! Especially ones like this one.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Morning dog soirre enjoyed in an Adams fedora.

i-GBZjdWG-M.jpg

I headed out for some escapades in a Cordova Cap. No activity in the Eagles roost.

i-kwj7jvX-M.jpg

Mid-morning run and cooling down with a spot of coffee and a salad. It is hard to get soft boiled eggs correct. Eating on the deck in a Whippet.

i-NGp2jGp-M.jpg

Post lunch walk in a Lee Adventurer.

i-NcDCRnw-M.jpg

i-fk3NMPq-M.jpg

Rain is needed in order to have things start to green up. Bring on the evening rains that stop before sun rise.

Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Last edited:
J. Hückel´s Söhne were famous for Velour Soft Felt Hats but their Stiff Felt Hats were also very popular. This week I will feature J. Hückel´s Söhne Stiff Felt Hats.

J. Hückel´s Söhne "Flexible", 152 grams possibly early 1930s. I think this a good one to start out with. I found this Stiff Felt back in July 2011.

49800098442_2ff7e7b630_b.jpg

49799784086_97585270f0_b.jpg

49799275698_f5542789cd_b.jpg

49800135417_305839735e_b.jpg

49800141362_c4e7361716_b.jpg

J. Hückel´s Söhne Neutitschein (today Nový Jičín) Factory Employees early 1900s.

49800366957_e417cbe8d7_b.jpg
Very cool, Steve. I'm pretty sure you're the only one who could pull that off for a week on the lounge!

View attachment 229459 #21 40s Stylepark Templeform
One of my top five favs.
Hope I’m not repeating hats, but by now I’ve forgotten which ones I’ve done and regret that I haven’t been writing it down.
View attachment 229458
Wouldn't mind seeing that one a second time, Randall.

New England Hat Comp. From Cincinnati
View attachment 229462
Very nice, Perry. That ribbon shines.

Doesn't get boring, Fabio.

Good choice, Charlie. At least wearing a hat keeps your head protected.

Needed to be under a Shady Oak this morning, and since the leaves aren't out on the oaks yet I had to go with a Peters Bros.
IMG_3102 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3098 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3099 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Still a bit cool today, but it is bright
4-21-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Have a good day,
Michael
Whoa, that's some hat. Not your everyday style, Michael. Nice one though.

Wearing a '50s era Dobbs Fifth Avenue that I completely reworked sometime back. This hat was originally a size 7 with a 2 5/8 wide brim. The original sweat was toast and the original Copper colored ribbon couldn't be reused. I sized it up to a 7 1/4 and changed the original block profile. Needless to say, I lost brim width. It went from 2 5/8 to 2 1/2 inches, which didn't sit well with me. After putting it back together, I took it apart again, because of the 2 1/2 brim width, and bagged it away. I found it again and decided to put it back together. I found a matching ribbon and bow that someone gave me. I restyled the bow and put it on the hat. I liked the crown height and the vintage felt on this one is very nice. It also has an overwelt brim. I thought I'd give it another shot.

Dobbs-Brown-1-A.jpg

Before:
IMG-20181006-150949212-HDR.jpg

IMG-20181006-150936487.jpg

On the block:
Dobbs-1.jpg

Ribbon and bow that I found for the hat. I had enough material on the bow and keeper to restyle it.

Dobbs-5th-Ave-9-A.jpg

Restyled, and I gave it a slight upswoop:
Dobbs-5th-Ave-5-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-4-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-11-A.jpg

I think you were right giving it another go, Terry. For me the 2 1/2 inch brim is the perfect size.

I scored this 150th Anniversary RD Racine at the Garland outlet a few years ago. I really liked the contrasting orange ribbon on it, but the ribbon and bow wore on me after a while. I finally found some vintage ribbon in a color I like and changed things up on Sunday. First time out of the house since then (I really needed a cheeseburger).

View attachment 229559 View attachment 229560 View attachment 229558
The ribbon colour works well with the hat, Jim.

Very cool, Steve. I'm pretty sure you're the only one who could pull that off for a week on the lounge!

Wouldn't mind seeing that one a second time, Randall.

Very nice, Perry. That ribbon shines.

Doesn't get boring, Fabio.

Good choice, Charlie. At least wearing a hat keeps your head protected.

Whoa, that's some hat. Not your everyday style, Michael. Nice one though.
Thanks Stefan.

Two ounces never felted so good.

042120_1.jpg

042120_2.jpg

042120_3.jpg

042120_4.jpg
Some things just cannot be replicated today. Perfection, Alan.

Morning dog soirre enjoyed in an Adams fedora.

i-GBZjdWG-M.jpg

I headed out for some escapades in a Cordova Cap. No activity in the Eagles roost.

i-kwj7jvX-M.jpg

Mid-morning run and cooling down with a spot of coffee and a salad. It is hard to get soft boiled eggs correct. Eating on the deck in a Whippet.

i-NGp2jGp-M.jpg

Post lunch walk in a Lee Adventurer.

i-NcDCRnw-M.jpg

i-fk3NMPq-M.jpg

Rain is needed in order to have things start to green up. Bring on the evening rains that stop before sun rise.

Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -
Your pics (and hats!) are balm for the soul, Eric.

Gorgeous, Max. Stunning hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo