Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a '50s era Dobbs Fifth Avenue that I completely reworked sometime back. This hat was originally a size 7 with a 2 5/8 wide brim. The original sweat was toast and the original Copper colored ribbon couldn't be reused. I sized it up to a 7 1/4 and changed the original block profile. Needless to say, I lost brim width. It went from 2 5/8 to 2 1/2 inches, which didn't sit well with me. After putting it back together, I took it apart again, because of the 2 1/2 brim width, and bagged it away. I found it again and decided to put it back together. I found a matching ribbon and bow that someone gave me. I restyled the bow and put it on the hat. I liked the crown height and the vintage felt on this one is very nice. It also has an overwelt brim. I thought I'd give it another shot.

Dobbs-Brown-1-A.jpg

Before:
IMG-20181006-150949212-HDR.jpg

IMG-20181006-150936487.jpg

On the block:
Dobbs-1.jpg

Ribbon and bow that I found for the hat. I had enough material on the bow and keeper to restyle it.

Dobbs-5th-Ave-9-A.jpg

Restyled, and I gave it a slight upswoop:
Dobbs-5th-Ave-5-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-4-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-11-A.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Love that one Michael, from my local historic hat shop ! Can we see some inside pics ?
Thanks Tim. The tip protector wasn't being very camera friendly today.
IMG_3122 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The sweat isn't imprinted so I'm guessing it's already been changed out in the past. This one has been around more than one block. Ha ha.

Thanks,
Michael

Wearing a '50s era Dobbs Fifth Avenue that I completely reworked sometime back. This hat was originally a size 7 with a 2 5/8 wide brim. The original sweat was toast and the original Copper colored ribbon couldn't be reused. I sized it up to a 7 1/4 and changed the original block profile. Needless to say, I lost brim width. It went from 2 5/8 to 2 1/2 inches, which didn't sit well with me. After putting it back together, I took it apart again, because of the 2 1/2 brim width, and bagged it away. I found it again and decided to put it back together. I found a matching ribbon and bow that someone gave me. I restyled the bow and put it on the hat. I liked the crown height and the vintage felt on this one is very nice. It also has an overwelt brim. I thought I'd give it another shot.

Dobbs-Brown-1-A.jpg

Before:

On the block:
Dobbs-1.jpg

Ribbon and bow that I found for the hat. I had enough material on the bow and keeper to restyle it.

Dobbs-5th-Ave-9-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-5-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-4-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-11-A.jpg

I think it looks great Terry.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Haha. Harder than it’s seems. LOL. I’m thinking some planning should have gone into this. I guess technically you have been marking them down... but might be a lot of scrolling!!!

Great one today Randall.
Thanks, Joe. Yeah, should’ve known better knowing my memory cuts and runs after a few days.
It’s been fun, but it ain’t been real fun. I’ll be glad when this 30 hats deal is over. To much pressure now that I’m back to work. LOL :)
I like your Knox. 5” crown as bashed? Wow!

Thanks, Joe. Yeah, should’ve known better knowing my memory cuts and runs after a few days.
It’s been fun, but it ain’t been real fun. I’ll be glad when this 30 hats deal is over. To much pressure now that I’m back to work. LOL :)
I like your Knox. 5” crown as bashed? Wow!
Now you have me rechecking. LOL. Really depends on where as the crown is pretty curved. 4” in front. Highest peak just under 5 actually. Though really it’s kinda hard to measure. The ribbon doesn’t come all the way down to the sweat seam line. And the brim curls slightly downward at the line.. so hard to figure out where to start from either way a nice tall crown for a shorter brim.. especially considering it seems late 60s

I prob put more effort into this than I should have. But it’s a good mental break for me.

Now coming down to the last 10 days... might be some good ones that don’t make the cut.

Overtime????

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

Dobbs-Brown-1-A.jpg

Before:

On the block:
Dobbs-1.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-9-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-5-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-4-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-11-A.jpg

Per usual, Terry: impeccable!!!
That c-crown is perfect! Are you doing those free hand or do you use a form?
I’m totally impressed with your talented ability to take any ole hat and make it conform perfectly to your wishes. (mine too, btw)
Jealous, too. :)
Love the colors of that Dobbs.
I simply must get off some of my money and buy one of those hat blocks one day. Among other real hat tools.

Damn, they must have been pumping out some hats with that many employees !!

That's just HR. There were only seven people on the line.

Dobbs-Brown-1-A.jpg

Before:

On the block:
Dobbs-1.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-9-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-5-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-4-A.jpg

Dobbs-5th-Ave-11-A.jpg

Great job, T!

I scored this 150th Anniversary RD Racine at the Garland outlet a few years ago. I really liked the contrasting orange ribbon on it, but the ribbon and bow wore on me after a while. I finally found some vintage ribbon in a color I like and changed things up on Sunday. First time out of the house since then (I really needed a cheeseburger).

IMG_20200421_120725515_compress91.jpg
IMG_20200421_120727448_compress44.jpg
IMG_20200421_120730682_compress47.jpg

It the fashion nowdays to dress like a thief. Your Akubra hat is up to the task.

2/3 done! You need to aquire many more hats if we are to stay sequestered during this pandemic. Thanks for sharing your hat rack.

Holy cow Johnny you have shirt sleeves showing in April. Great weather to be out. Enjoy the day.

Congrats on the long walkabout sir. Do not let a crisis go to waste (Churchill) and make those long walks count.

I did not think how pesky the the winds could be for you and your hats.

The stiff hat looks to fit. I read Alan's recent post how stiff hats that fit have advantages. I admire yours and others. To date after having a few pass thru my hands, I still search for one that I can wear vs. perch or pull onto my head. Thanks for sharing.

I really like the dimensions of that Stylepark on you. Great hat.

Cool hat and patterned shirt. Be safe Perry.

Ahhh the Mallory. I like the dimensions of your hat. Show it more often.

Thanks for the chuckle Charlie. We have all become amateur virus scientists in this pandemic. Some using fewer facts than others. That glorious book happened to just be laying around on a coffee table for your house guests to pick-up and read a chapter. You have serious guests.

Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -
Thanks Eric.

I scored this 150th Anniversary RD Racine at the Garland outlet a few years ago. I really liked the contrasting orange ribbon on it, but the ribbon and bow wore on me after a while. I finally found some vintage ribbon in a color I like and changed things up on Sunday. First time out of the house since then (I really needed a cheeseburger).

View attachment 229559 View attachment 229560 View attachment 229558
Great hat and Bandito mask Jim. Yeah, sometimes you just gotta have a cheeseburger, even if it's not in paradise.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Kicking off a Sam Neill vibe there man. Looking good.
Johnny

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Good choice on the ribbon, it's a nice combination with the felt and binding.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

The stiff hat looks to fit. I read Alan's recent post how stiff hats that fit have advantages. I admire yours and others. To date after having a few pass thru my hands, I still search for one that I can wear vs. perch or pull onto my head. Thanks for sharing.

Eric -
Eric, Thank you! Yes Stiff Felt Hats can be problematic. In some cases they were professionally conformed (there shouldn't be brim distortion) or self conformed. If the shape is way off it can be very difficult to make them fit properly and over tweaking can cause brim distortion. It's probably best to have one size larger and add padding (they did this often in the time period). For example this JHS "Flexible" Stiff Felt is a bit round so not a perfect fit for my more oval shape. Back in the day you could find someone local that knew how to conform a Stiff Felt Hat properly.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

The ribbon color really goes well with that hat. Looks like a Sunday well spent. I gotta give Garland a call one of these days and see if I can score something nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner