Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

View attachment 238437 View attachment 238436 Out with the old, in with the new.
Work hat for $45 from the Bay.
Some cleaning and steam shaping and this replacement looks brand new. Too bad it won’t take very long for it to look like the old one.
I’ve just found out that genuine shantung is “a coated paper made straw that is more durable than the straw it imitates.”
So maybe it’ll last a little longer.
View attachment 238435
Dang for a second I thought yo had somehow managed to clean up your old straw... I was like this guy is a freaking magician!! Nice new one Randall. Enjoy!

40Cal

One Too Many
30:30 OT:36
Borsalino Ludoita Qualita Extra Superiore
View attachment 238292

Borsalino Ludoita Qualita Extra Superiore In Crema (Cream) Color
5 inch open crown
3/8 inch Silvery bone tri cord thin ribbon
3 inch brim with 1/8 matching binding
1 7/8 Supple brown leather sweatband.

My latest arrival Borsalino Qualita Extra Superiore Ludoita model in beautiful Crema (cream) color. This hat... if it were here during the original 30 Days to 30 Hats would have beyond a shadow of a doubt had a prominent position. It is in the styling of Stetson Open Road - thin ribbon matching skinny edge binding. And the felt very high quality super smooth And velvet touch without being a fuzzy type finish. It is not the super thin “blow a crease into it” felt of my Stetson Standard Quality. It is more of a Thicker luxurious dress weight Felt. That being said I put it through some paces with a few different creases and it handled them like a champ. From a basic center dent with soft front pinch... to a modified cattleman’s crease.. to a quick deeper diamond bash with strong side dents. It took it all in stride. It seemed to love the Cowboy shape. So we will see.

This hat had an original selling price of $25 and had some sort of cushion system behind the rear of the sweatband

@steur indicates this one to be of mid 1950’s to early 1960s. Thank you Stefan for that info and apparently forgetting to bid on this one. :);) I see a few of these have been posted on the lounge over the years. But not many

This hat took its sweet time in arrival. Due to a mix up in shipping it made a pit stop in Minnesota (no not to see Eric @Short Balding Guy). And in the mean time I received the Minnow Bucket that was meant to go to MN. It did not fit... so I decided to hold out for this big fish. Thank goodness the owner of the minnow bucket did not use the hat. For that purpose. And now it all right with the world.

View attachment 238295 View attachment 238296 View attachment 238297 View attachment 238293 View attachment 238299 View attachment 238301 View attachment 238300 View attachment 238298 View attachment 238294
Beautiful Hat! Congrats.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
F1259F60-0D71-42F2-87BE-DAF51F290D8C.jpeg
Two hat day.
Got this 50s nutria Borsalino homburg three weeks ago. My first nutria fur hat; soft, but rigid.
My second Salvatore Balbi: both exceptional lids. Guess this Italian had good taste and strict quality standards.
C963EE2B-2E24-4703-8B8C-93D005F4AFFF.jpeg
B8EDDF12-12B8-4025-9E1A-57D356692AB8.jpeg
83426D61-5FBC-41E3-8FBB-6FCF327C9C1D.jpeg
A7B1542E-C3D3-40D8-BB0C-57C029F28289.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Rumad

One Too Many
Day 29 of 31 Hat Parade: One style of hat that I collect that has not been featured is the "back bow" fedora. A popular style of ribbon treatment going back many decades into the 19th century, the Back Bow made a comeback in men's hats from 1955-1959. Then, it disappeared again. This makes the Back Bow treatment of the ribbon and bow easy to date. Figuring out the age of a vintage hat is kind of the holy grail of collectors. This Lee hats "SmartLee" has all the earmarks of a late 50s hat. The brim widths were already getting smaller, and the pre-set crease from the factory is seen. I was told by the seller that her father bought this hat on their honeymoon in 1956. Spending that kind of money (probably $12.95) did not set well with his bride. Hence the excellent condition of this hat...he just didn't wear it much to keep the household peace.

6Feb18 Smartlee back bow stand.jpg
6Feb18 Smartlee back bow liner.jpg
9Jan19 Smartlee profile 450x.jpg
9Jan19 Smartlee front 450x.jpg
9Jan19 Smartlee crown 450x.jpg

Day 29 of 31 Hat Parade: One style of hat that I collect that has not been featured is the "back bow" fedora. A popular style of ribbon treatment going back many decades into the 19th century, the Back Bow made a comeback in men's hats from 1955-1959. Then, it disappeared again. This makes the Back Bow treatment of the ribbon and bow easy to date. Figuring out the age of a vintage hat is kind of the holy grail of collectors. This Lee hats "SmartLee" has all the earmarks of a late 50s hat. The brim widths were already getting smaller, and the pre-set crease from the factory is seen. I was told by the seller that her father bought this hat on their honeymoon in 1956. Spending that kind of money (probably $12.95) did not set well with his bride. Hence the excellent condition of this hat...he just didn't wear it much to keep the household peace.

View attachment 238551 View attachment 238552 View attachment 238553 View attachment 238554 View attachment 238555
Smart Choice on the Smart Lee Mike... those back bows are somehow growing on me since I picked up a Knox a few weeks back.

can’t believe we are almost at the end of your 31 days. Tremendous job so far. What will be the final two... oh the antici......pation!!!!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

The brown hat works well with the suit. You bring up the standards on this thread with your attire sir.

View attachment 238437 View attachment 238436 Out with the old, in with the new.
Work hat for $45 from the Bay.
Some cleaning and steam shaping and this replacement looks brand new. Too bad it won’t take very long for it to look like the old one.
I’ve just found out that genuine shantung is “a coated paper made straw that is more durable than the straw it imitates.”
So maybe it’ll last a little longer.
View attachment 238435

Good to see hats that work for a living. Congrats on new hat.

I figured after yesterday’s Borsalino high... I needed To soften the comedown with another “top ten” (for me) Kind of hat.

Royal Stetson “Musketeer”
Light blue/grey with duo tone ribbon

View attachment 238543 View attachment 238542 View attachment 238545 View attachment 238546 View attachment 238547
View attachment 238548 View attachment 238544

All for one....Ahhhh, the Musketeer! I do love seeing this hat. I vote you should wear it more often. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner