What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AbbaDatDeHat, Sep 18, 2018.

1. the_imperialist

the_imperialist One of the Regulars

Beautiful hat Steve, you strike quite the regal profile with that high crown.

Out of interest, how would you rate the just post-war felt compared with pre-war quality?

Steve1857, mayserwegener and Blare like this.
  2. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Time to cut the rest of the garden back.
    1E1F98D3-D3E9-4B6F-8EB0-E0721D65E9C4.jpeg
    016C3B78-F6ED-481D-A2D1-10403C1ED875.jpeg
    Johnny

3. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

The quality label is redundant. Like we could not figure that the hat was Excellent! It is an excellent fedora on your hat rack.

Steve; This hat is very unique - tall, swoopy, broad and back bow. It really makes you look. Thanks for sharing sir.

This afternoon we set a record for Oct. 20th by receiving 7.5" of snow. The old record of 3.5" was smashed. I struggled on my commute back to work wearing a cap.

[​IMG]

Home this evening doing some light snow clearing. I am saving the heavy snow removal for morning. Wearing a Borsalino this evening.

[​IMG]

Cheers this snowy October evening, Eric -

4. Short Balding Guy

Now I have to laugh sir. Caught and guilty - the pic of stacks of hats did not need to be shown.

Guilty as I was reading some what I view as regular scheduled hat maintenance. I am very aware that this is not normal things to do, nor the number of hats that I will steam. Recently I had replied to a PM asking about the "minty condition" of the hats I wear. The query reminded me that the cooler season is upon me and I needed to step up my usual maintenance game. The 2020 Pandemic has found me wearing hats a bit harder than years past. Like most of us, effort is required in both the acquisition and maintenance of gently worn vintage felt fedoras. I have been putting some of this off. It needs to be done to a bunch of hats.

In years past I have been called out as to my hat "collection." Growing up in an immigrant Scandinavian family, I learned to share as little as necessary. Experience and life learning find me not sharing oodles. Bragging or showing off was very much discouraged.

Guilty today. I laugh at myself, as I should be true to desired life mores, but fail all to often.

Thanks for the call Reggie. Best to you and your family sir, Eric -

Blare, Dlaniger, BobHufford and 4 others like this.
  5. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Eric:
    I think you are being a little hard on yourself. Never have i seen a post from you that presented as bragging or showing off. That would require a tone of condescension and a total lack of humility. You are quite the antithesis of such a hat collector. Never have i heard an unkind word from you, only praise and appreciation for the fine hats you share with us.
    We all learn from excellence of hats and those that share them.
    Thank you for being generous towards us.
    Bowen

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Wayne, Thank you! I would say pre WWII JHS is Velour is better than just post WWII Tonak Velour (still really fantastic). Here is a comparison I did of a J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8 (late 1930s) vs. TONAK Formely Hückel Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8 (late 1940s early 1950s)

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-10#post-1662862

Overall it's hard to say because of varying situations. I can only address Germany and Austria / Czechoslovakia. I think the best pre WWII is better especially Velours.

Steve1857, Blare, hatsRme and 2 others like this.
  7. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Eric, Thank you! Fantastic 1930's Kennsington from you early yesterday and a equally great Borsalino later!

Blare and Short Balding Guy like this.
  8. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Reggie, Thank you! I will have pull out some more greens. :) Super looking Royal De Luxe Stetson "The Metropolis" from you yesterday. You always have fantastic Hat - Clothing combos!

Steve1857, Blare, Rumad and 2 others like this.
  9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks, Reg. Batsakes is a hat shop located in Cincinnati and operated by Mr. Gus Miller, hatter extraordinaire. Here's a thread on his shop, cued up to when I got the hat above.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/batsakes-hat-shop-in-cincinnati.15496/page-2#post-2110899

10. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

It has been a little difficult to comment much lately, but I'm really enjoying everyone's display. Keep it up!
    Yesterday I wore my Carlson Homburg, and this morning, I'm going with my Falcon Park lords hat.
    IMG_6573.jpg IMG_6554.jpg IMG_6548.jpg

11. DaveProc

DaveProc One Too Many

Bee Custom "The Strato" this morning.
    20201021_083608.jpg 20201021_083618.jpg 20201021_083627.jpg 20201021_083648.jpg 20201021_083656.jpg 20201021_084825.jpg 20201021_084902.jpg

Snowman, Dlaniger, steur and 15 others like this.
  12. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

bowlerman likes this.
  13. Short Balding Guy

Out this morning in a Canadian made Stetson Premiere. I put the hat on went out to fill bird feeders and clear a walkway. Getting inside I notice that the ribbon requires some steam as it has aquired some wrinkles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers this morning from Minnesota, Eric -

14. 6DF21E79-19BE-4F64-8EC2-02A532ED29EF.jpeg
    Stetson

15. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

16. Checking on the brush pile (burning for three days now) in an O’Farrell.

50B251BC-EB22-4122-A776-4B9AA6670EC5.jpeg

17. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Today, a German hat that arrived last year is on stage
    Huber 7.jpg
    I think I have never worn it or presented it to your eyes (maybe I'm wrong):)
    Huber 3.jpg
    I am without a mask because inside the garden of my office and the safety distances are kept
    Huber 5.jpg
    Huber size 59. The felt has the word Mohair.
    Huber etichetta carta.jpg
    Very nice color that reminds me of some French hats I have in my collection.
    Huber 1.jpg
    The felt texture differs, here very firm, while in French hats it is soft
    Huber 4.jpg
    I want to thank you all for the likes given to yesterday's "Thibet" blue and ancient hat;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  18. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks Wayne!
    I will do my best to be safe...I had experience during springtime:rolleyes:
    Your German velour is fantastic. Hope the "German connoisseurs" will be able to determinate the maker, even if it seems they are very close to solve the enigna.
    Grazie

Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

You got a ways to go to beat the Springfield Tire Fire, though.

p66oea1z6szx.png

johnnycanuck, Blare, BJC88 and 2 others like this.
  20. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Excellent heather

Steve1857 likes this.