Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Later 1930s Stetson Excellent Quality

102020_1.jpg

View attachment 272151
View attachment 272155
View attachment 272154
View attachment 272153
View attachment 272152

102020_2.jpg

Some additional photos posted here.
102020_3.jpg

102020_4.jpg

102020_5.jpg

The quality label is redundant. Like we could not figure that the hat was Excellent! It is an excellent fedora on your hat rack.

Tonak "Standard" Back Bow possibly early to mid 1950s from my May 2016 NOS Czech find. Really fantastic felt on this one. Also a very wide ribbon + tall Crown with Back Bow.

50510330048_fc0f50b9d7_b.jpg

50511198222_5a73b621e7_b.jpg

50511048616_1288907a57_b.jpg

50510340553_0d4018bca6_b.jpg

50511222262_bec8732a49_b.jpg

Steve; This hat is very unique - tall, swoopy, broad and back bow. It really makes you look. Thanks for sharing sir.

This afternoon we set a record for Oct. 20th by receiving 7.5" of snow. The old record of 3.5" was smashed. I struggled on my commute back to work wearing a cap.

D01B0C70-52F7-4D69-9DB0-50D73BDD9631-M.jpg

Home this evening doing some light snow clearing. I am saving the heavy snow removal for morning. Wearing a Borsalino this evening.

DSC03265-M.jpg

Cheers this snowy October evening, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like it when you show off a little, Eric. LOL! It would take me a couple of days to steam all those beauties because I couldn't resist playing with each one once I pulled it off the stack. Not familiar with the Kensington hat manufacturer. great looking fedora.

Now I have to laugh sir. Caught and guilty - the pic of stacks of hats did not need to be shown.

Guilty as I was reading some what I view as regular scheduled hat maintenance. I am very aware that this is not normal things to do, nor the number of hats that I will steam. Recently I had replied to a PM asking about the "minty condition" of the hats I wear. The query reminded me that the cooler season is upon me and I needed to step up my usual maintenance game. The 2020 Pandemic has found me wearing hats a bit harder than years past. Like most of us, effort is required in both the acquisition and maintenance of gently worn vintage felt fedoras. I have been putting some of this off. It needs to be done to a bunch of hats.

In years past I have been called out as to my hat "collection." Growing up in an immigrant Scandinavian family, I learned to share as little as necessary. Experience and life learning find me not sharing oodles. Bragging or showing off was very much discouraged.

Guilty today. I laugh at myself, as I should be true to desired life mores, but fail all to often.

Thanks for the call Reggie. Best to you and your family sir, Eric -

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Now I have to laugh sir. Caught and guilty - the pic of stacks of hats did not need to be shown.

Guilty as I was reading some what I view as regular scheduled hat maintenance. I am very aware that this is not normal things to do, nor the number of hats that I will steam. Recently I had replied to a PM asking about the "minty condition" of the hats I wear. The query reminded me that the cooler season is upon me and I needed to step up my usual maintenance game. The 2020 Pandemic has found me wearing hats a bit harder than years past. Like most of us, effort is required in both the acquisition and maintenance of gently worn vintage felt fedoras. I have been putting some of this off. It needs to be done to a bunch of hats.

In years past I have been called out as to my hat "collection." Growing up in an immigrant Scandinavian family, I learned to share as little as necessary. Experience and life learning find me not sharing oodles. Bragging or showing off was very much discouraged.

Guilty today. I laugh at myself, as I should be true to desired life mores, but fail all to often.

Thanks for the call Reggie. Best to you and your family sir, Eric -
Eric:
I think you are being a little hard on yourself. Never have i seen a post from you that presented as bragging or showing off. That would require a tone of condescension and a total lack of humility. You are quite the antithesis of such a hat collector. Never have i heard an unkind word from you, only praise and appreciation for the fine hats you share with us.
We all learn from excellence of hats and those that share them.
Thank you for being generous towards us.
Bowen

Beautiful hat Steve, you strike quite the regal profile with that high crown.

Out of interest, how would you rate the just post-war felt compared with pre-war quality?
Wayne, Thank you! I would say pre WWII JHS is Velour is better than just post WWII Tonak Velour (still really fantastic). Here is a comparison I did of a J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8 (late 1930s) vs. TONAK Formely Hückel Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8 (late 1940s early 1950s)

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-10#post-1662862

Overall it's hard to say because of varying situations. I can only address Germany and Austria / Czechoslovakia. I think the best pre WWII is better especially Velours.

Steve; This hat is very unique - tall, swoopy, broad and back bow. It really makes you look. Thanks for sharing sir.

This afternoon we set a record for Oct. 20th by receiving 7.5" of snow. The old record of 3.5" was smashed. I struggled on my commute back to work wearing a cap.

D01B0C70-52F7-4D69-9DB0-50D73BDD9631-M.jpg

Home this evening doing some light snow clearing. I am saving the heavy snow removal for morning. Wearing a Borsalino this evening.

DSC03265-M.jpg

Cheers this snowy October evening, Eric -
Eric, Thank you! Fantastic 1930's Kennsington from you early yesterday and a equally great Borsalino later!

Love that Whippet, Bill. I have a thing for green hats and the tonal green ribbon and thick green brim binding really add to the hats commanding presence.

Great hat, Jim. It's got that look! Batsakes? Not sure I remember seeing that one. Can you tell me about it?

Well Steve you know how I feel about green hats. That Tonak is magnificent. The high crown and wide ribbon get me every time.

Thanks, Reg. Batsakes is a hat shop located in Cincinnati and operated by Mr. Gus Miller, hatter extraordinaire. Here's a thread on his shop, cued up to when I got the hat above.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/batsakes-hat-shop-in-cincinnati.15496/page-2#post-2110899

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Today, a German hat that arrived last year is on stage
Huber 7.jpg

I think I have never worn it or presented it to your eyes (maybe I'm wrong):)
Huber 3.jpg

I am without a mask because inside the garden of my office and the safety distances are kept
Huber 5.jpg
Huber size 59. The felt has the word Mohair.
Huber etichetta carta.jpg
Very nice color that reminds me of some French hats I have in my collection.
Huber 1.jpg
The felt texture differs, here very firm, while in French hats it is soft
Huber 4.jpg

I want to thank you all for the likes given to yesterday's "Thibet" blue and ancient hat;)

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful hat Daniele - both in terms of colour and as you said, proportion. Goes well with your ensemble of the day (mask included)! Stay safe and wear your many wonderful hats in good health!
Thanks Wayne!
I will do my best to be safe...I had experience during springtime:rolleyes:
Your German velour is fantastic. Hope the "German connoisseurs" will be able to determinate the maker, even if it seems they are very close to solve the enigna.
Grazie

Today, a German hat that arrived last year is on stage
View attachment 272489
I think I have never worn it or presented it to your eyes (maybe I'm wrong):)
View attachment 272490
I am without a mask because inside the garden of my office and the safety distances are kept
View attachment 272491
Huber size 59. The felt has the word Mohair. Very nice color that reminds me of some French hats I have in my collection.
View attachment 272492
The felt texture differs, here very firm, while in French hats it is soft
View attachment 272493
I want to thank you all for the likes given to yesterday's "Thibet" blue and ancient hat;)
Excellent heather

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Gary, do you mean Hornskov in Copenhagen?

Well, if you insist!
My wife and I have ordered beaver Hornskov hats for Christmas. We decided that would be it for our hat buying this year, so it might have to wait until next year…though, I figure that’s more of a guideline than a rule!:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points