Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Went out in the snow with my 40s Suede Finish Dobbs.

Attachments

• Photo on 2-18-21 at 5.53 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-21 at 5.53 PM.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Photo on 2-18-21 at 5.53 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-21 at 5.53 PM #2.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Photo on 2-18-21 at 5.53 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-21 at 5.53 PM #3.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 163

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Some superb hats today, Randall.

View attachment 311147 50s? Collins and Fairbanks. Killer colors! 3” red/brown bound brim on a green/brown super fine felt.
A new brand to me. I looked up a few in old threads and saw where several fellows own these France built? fedoras.
Man, this is a very well made, high quality hat. I’d put it right up there with my two Crofut and Knapps.
However, I do not like how the binding is stitched on, though it would take a lot of effort and skill to accomplish.
Looks like it’s done in the same way that old bowlers were done on the bottom side of the binding. i.e. what I’d call, “tacked” every 3/4”, except on this one it’s tacked on both sides every 5/16” which causes unsightly puckers. The details guy in me wants so bad to machine a single row of close stitching over the tacks, so it’d make the puckers disappear, but the leave it original guy in me says to keep it as Collins Fairbanks has it!
I’ll likely leave it alone.
I saw one other C-F hat which has the same stitching method, the rest had regular stitching.
I’ve come up with a failproof way of cleaning the stains out of the liners without removal and had to employ it on this one. It had really ugly, huge, difficult sweat stains that I was mostly able to make disappear.
Love this fedora!!
I haven’t shaped the crown and will probably leave it alone, too, as it looks pretty good. View attachment 311148 View attachment 311149 View attachment 311150 View attachment 311151

Nother hat day! View attachment 311163
Here’s a 60s Stetson that I rebuilt and reimagined. (More in the Conversions thread)
Rolled the brim edge and sewed on a campaign bow, etc.
Diggin’ this’n, too! View attachment 311164 View attachment 311161 View attachment 311162

View attachment 311147 50s? Collins and Fairbanks. Killer colors! 3” red/brown bound brim on a green/brown super fine felt.
A new brand to me. I looked up a few in old threads and saw where several fellows own these France built? fedoras.
Man, this is a very well made, high quality hat. I’d put it right up there with my two Crofut and Knapps.
However, I do not like how the binding is stitched on, though it would take a lot of effort and skill to accomplish.
Looks like it’s done in the same way that old bowlers were done on the bottom side of the binding. i.e. what I’d call, “tacked” every 3/4”, except on this one it’s tacked on both sides every 5/16” which causes unsightly puckers. The details guy in me wants so bad to machine a single row of close stitching over the tacks, so it’d make the puckers disappear, but the leave it original guy in me says to keep it as Collins Fairbanks has it!
I’ll likely leave it alone.
I saw one other C-F hat which has the same stitching method, the rest had regular stitching.
I’ve come up with a failproof way of cleaning the stains out of the liners without removal and had to employ it on this one. It had really ugly, huge, difficult sweat stains that I was mostly able to make disappear.
Love this fedora!!
I haven’t shaped the crown and will probably leave it alone, too, as it looks pretty good. View attachment 311148 View attachment 311149 View attachment 311150 View attachment 311151
Daaammnnn Randall! That’s a heck of a fine hat you got there!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Weather is finally breaking, probably just moved down to Texas. If the forecast can be believed it’s going to get above freezing in the next few days. Time to dig out the road gutters so the water can drain. So two hat day.
Dropping kids off and picking them up my VS
28C3E637-299C-47B4-8494-63C75FF41224.jpeg

breaking out the ice pick. Akubra Snowy River
48D1E475-060B-4BA2-8A55-4C75E1F86AFE.jpeg

have a great day everyone
Stay safe
Johnny

2mar10

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members