Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Mallory Aristocrat Quality

B08864DF-19B9-4CE9-AB29-3F0E8BC14D25.jpeg
4B995188-0324-4ED7-A33C-72363BE4A552.jpeg
1D92D0B0-1AA5-4F62-A015-C0A64EF01144.jpeg
522F71B5-325F-42A7-8A48-17D17C26F988.jpeg
952F22AE-F261-467D-9E8D-C1B0A0538AC3.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Send me your address Eric. I need to spend a few days relaxing around your place!

I took today off. My wife already sent me out for a walkabout as I have been cruising chores and household stuff since 6:00 am. I headed out to "relax" in a Stetson Open Road 3X. A few other Open Roads fell off the storage shelf and it reminded me I need to clean them up after Fall and Winter wearing. I will brush them with Coleman White gas early afternoon.

i-BQ7Xbv3-M.jpg

i-MGCTJcG-M.jpg

Bottom - top: 3X Clear Open Road, Soverign Twenty-Five Open Road, Twenty-Five Open Road.

i-XTGQXwd-M.jpg

I am enjoying a day off at my speed - not normal, I get it. This afternoon I will need to get some reading and administration stuff done. Until then full speed away.

I moved some annoying fallen leaves in a Stetson Stratoliner. This version has a 2 7/8" brim. I have included some pics of the Strat with an OR.

i-XgsBQQQ-M.jpg

In the above pic the Open Road shows in the bottom and the Strat shows in the top.

i-HS8zTd4-M.jpg

i-6Hmn8S7-M.jpg

I grilled some salmon steaks and asparagus for brunch. Our local micro-brewer, Omni Brewing, delivered a growler of hazy pilsner mid-morning. I enjoyed a glass during brunch prep. A DeLuxe Stetson Vogue was my grilling fedora.

i-PhsXvj5-M.jpg

i-k5Qt96k-M.jpg

i-DmxcZTM-M.jpg

i-Z3rPd8x-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I'll chime in one more time with my experience. I believe I've already posted this a couple of times. I don't agree with the submerge and swish method. For those that have done this you know how dirty the naptha gets (rather quickly). So if you let the hat sit and dirt comes off in the naptha, you then spread that dirt back onto the hat by swishing. I also tired of how much naptha the submerge method used and the filtering of it when putting it back into the can(s). So now I use the method of brushing the hat with naptha to clean it. Using eye protection and a respirator, I put the hat on an appropriately sized block and brush the whole hat evenly with naptha. Once all of the felt is saturated I scrub with a brush (dipping it in naptha) and letting it drain off into a container. Uses way less naptha and the hats get as clean, or cleaner, if you believe my swish theory.
My .02 cents.B

Great hats as usual, Eric! Can you explain how you brush your hats with Coleman white gas? I’m familiar with the dunk method, but I’m intrigued by the brushing.

Brent I was reading the Naptha thread over a few months ago and tried the Buler method, quoted above for reference. I have tried perhaps 6 hats this method and am quite satisfied with a medium to light dirty hat. I use only a couple cups of the fuel and then dip and swish dirty parts of the hat into the liquid. Wearing gloves I can submerge dirty spots by manipulating the felt area with my gloved hands. I brush with an old hat brush I use for this task. The brush brings out lots of particulate. The long haired, lighter brush works to get the detris or stain material loose. An example is when I marked the top of a light hat with the rubber liner in the door frame of the car when getting into the vehicle. I wet the brush and brushed several times - out the mark came. No soaking the entire hat and messing with liner and leather sweat.

I believe I get same results as soaking for a long time and use a lot less gas.

Reading Bulers contribution I would add that logic has that dry cleaner clothes do not soak for a long time in fluids and why would a hat have to.

Less is more and swish and brush is my naptha motto.

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Fabulous Eric

Thanks sir. Back at you - your hat rack has been growing fabulously.

Thanks Eric. That Royal Deluxe is smashing!
Thanks Perry. Luck was with me on that hat acquisition.

Yup, that works. Cool one, Bob.

Your collection keeps me amazed, Eric. Thanks for posting.

Thanks sir. We have a mutual admiration society.

Send me your address Eric. I need to spend a few days relaxing around your place!

My engine runs high and fast. I am self-aware enough to recognize that I can become an irritant to those around me with my energy and intensity.

I don’t think there will be much relaxing going on if Eric has a say... or at least what he calls relaxing isn’t necessarily what we might call it. But you can bet your bottom dollar whatever you are doing will be done in fine hats... and there will be fine beer afterwards

Thanks. A beer a day keeps the evil spirits away.

Administration/ paperwork was done mid-afternoon and I headed out to move a post while wearing a blue fedora.

i-KTBgxXb-M.jpg

This Monson fedora is a deep blue. The under brim pic captures the hue well.

i-pTPgK5k-M.jpg

The six gills are well done. I like the "puffier" gilled appearance. They begin with a wider gill and then a consistent size. Attractive I think.

i-gtzcWgn-M.jpg

i-fBT6GJk-M.jpg

i-34RLqZf-M.jpg

The brim edge stitching is excellent.

i-2dJkDV3-M.jpg

Blue goodness!

Cheers, Eric -

Brent I was reading the Naptha thread over a few months ago and tried the Buler method, quoted above for reference. I have tried perhaps 6 hats this method and am quite satisfied with a medium to light dirty hat. I use only a couple cups of the fuel and then dip and swish dirty parts of the hat into the liquid. Wearing gloves I can submerge dirty spots by manipulating the felt area with my gloved hands. I brush with an old hat brush I use for this task. The brush brings out lots of particulate. The long haired, lighter brush works to get the detris or stain material loose. An example is when I marked the top of a light hat with the rubber liner in the door frame of the car when getting into the vehicle. I wet the brush and brushed several times - out the mark came. No soaking the entire hat and messing with liner and leather sweat.

I believe I get same results as soaking for a long time and use a lot less gas.

Reading Bulers contribution I would add that logic has that dry cleaner clothes do not soak for a long time in fluids and why would a hat have to.

Less is more and swish and brush is my naptha motto.

Cheers, Eric -

Thank you, Eric. I’ll copy this and put it to good use. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Brent

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Panos.

Allright, we'll give you this round:)
The brim curl on the Hornskov is very well done; nice and even.

Good to see that one again. Very appealing hat.

Can't go wrong with a nice mirtillo coloured hat. Looking good, Daniele.

Thanks for posting that, Steve. Another Borsalino riddle (that's all we need;)). Thanks for the likes on the Fabroc (and the rest).

Love me some nutria felt. Fabulous hat, Joe.

Seeing that one always improves my day. Thanks, Michael.

Superb, Bill. Would love to find one like that in my size for the collection.

Forget that you even thought that! Very nice, Dale.
thanks Stefan.

Morreton Chamois (more in the French hats and makers thread)

View attachment 320396

View attachment 320400
I like the 3 color play on that one. Still winter there?

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks sir. Back at you - your hat rack has been growing fabulously.

Thanks Perry. Luck was with me on that hat acquisition.

Thanks sir. We have a mutual admiration society.

My engine runs high and fast. I am self-aware enough to recognize that I can become an irritant to those around me with my energy and intensity.

Thanks. A beer a day keeps the evil spirits away.

Administration/ paperwork was done mid-afternoon and I headed out to move a post while wearing a blue fedora.

i-KTBgxXb-M.jpg

This Monson fedora is a deep blue. The under brim pic captures the hue well.

i-pTPgK5k-M.jpg

The six gills are well done. I like the "puffier" gilled appearance. They begin with a wider gill and then a consistent size. Attractive I think.

i-gtzcWgn-M.jpg

i-fBT6GJk-M.jpg

i-34RLqZf-M.jpg

The brim edge stitching is excellent.

i-2dJkDV3-M.jpg

Blue goodness!

Cheers, Eric -
That blue is gorgeous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member