Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This one was found on Etsy, wasn't up for long before I spotted it and bought it.
Now brim grafting...that would be some accomplishment! I bet Terry has a few donor brims left over from all those western conversions...:)
Well, hatters do the same basic work when they put a duplex together. And milliners used to do it with women's hats all the time. I have a vintage women's Montecristi Panama straw that was made for Meier & Frank that is put together in the same fashion with a markedly lopsided, asymmetrical brim.

If a guy found two old beaters and put something together...

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I was out this evening listening to tin pan alley jazz. The two guitarists had a smooooth and tight groove. I wore a vintage Stetson Avenue. I received lots of positive comments on the hat from fellow audience members and the fellows on stage. Jazz music fans must evidently appreciate a grand vintage hat!

i-zhL7sxf-M.jpg

i-h5QsbZh-M.jpg

i-BKWXwC5-M.jpg

i-bMBtS9P-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I was out this evening listening to tin pan alley jazz. The two guitarists had a smooooth and tight groove. I wore a vintage Stetson Avenue. I received lots of positive comments on the hat from fellow audience members and the fellows on stage. Jazz music fans must evidently appreciate a grand vintage hat!

i-zhL7sxf-M.jpg

i-h5QsbZh-M.jpg

i-BKWXwC5-M.jpg

i-bMBtS9P-M.jpg

Best, Eric -
Wonderful, Eric.
Just wonderful. Another hat on my list.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Coming up for air this morning just to say howdy and Happy Thanksgiving to my Lounge family. I have been so busy with dealing with the house remodel and writing a 25 page research paper, all I've managed to do here is like everyone's fantastic hats. Yesterday we took time out to watch the annual Civil War Football game between Oregon State Beavers and the U of Oregon Ducks. It was ugly for us. Had to represent in the Orange and Black of OSU. Paired a black leather sport coat with the Hückel Chamois in inky, velvety black.

Stay frosty...

View attachment 145749 View attachment 145750 View attachment 145751
Good to see you're not too wrapped up, Mike. The Hückel looks great.

It's rivalry day for college football and I hope your team wins today, unless you're an Auburn fan. Roll Damn Tide! Team colors if you got em.
View attachment 145805 View attachment 145806 View attachment 145807 View attachment 145809
All this black cherry talk caused me to pull these out, that, plus they're the only boots I own that even approach Crimson and that's due mostly to the neon stitching.
View attachment 145810
Very nice, Greg. Good to see a center dent on an American hat now and again!

Going out to meet up with some of my wife’s friends. This longhair Barcelona made my wife laugh out loud and apparently I look like a “wizard.”

e770fe06ae7ad4b9aa3bb2bf9fd4ff55.jpg

9bc8b3b93a4201eabe9819d143d32bde.jpg

I ended up under a whiskey Northwest after I got the reaction from my wife I was after. Got to keep them on their toes. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We could all do with some wizardry, Brent. I don't think wizards are married though and never have to deal with that question: "was will das Weib?"

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 145618 View attachment 145619 View attachment 145620 View attachment 145621 View attachment 145622 Greetings All:
Today....thought i’d get some wear time in on this one before the weather gets slushy wet and cold. This hat just wants it’s brim up no matter what so i’m calling it.....
The Bob.
Here ya go guy this one’s for you.
Stetson 7X Open Road CB Bob.
Be well. Bowen

The hat is bigger than the rug rat. Keeuute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
We could all do with some wizardry, Brent. I don't think wizards are married though and never have to deal with that question: "was will das Weib?"
Gee, Stefan, your posts are amusing, entretaining and instructive. I started reading about Brent's hat, and, 20 minutes later, know the German word for "broad" or "wife", and a little more about dear old Sigmund.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday it was time for the Hückel chamois in grey. This hat has been cleaned with naphta and with white vinegar and water. It came out fine, but every time I wear it I have cravings for a salad:D

View attachment 145839
Ha again!
Hey, Stefan, I didn't know about vinegar and water. 50-50? Will it clean stains white gas can't? Do you submerge the whole hat, then let it dry? Won't the water shrink the leather, or something?

Gee, Stefan, your posts are amusing, entretaining and instructive. I started reading about Brent's hat, and, 20 minutes later, know the German word for "broad" or "wife", and a little more about dear old Sigmund.

Ha again!
Hey, Stefan, I didn't know about vinegar and water. 50-50? Will it clean stains white gas can't? Do you submerge the whole hat, then let it dry? Won't the water shrink the leather, or something?

Thanks, Max. It took Sigmund thirty years of counselling to come to the conclusion that he still didn't understand them!

As for the cleaning: it's a tip I picked up from Doug (@Tukwila). Apparently it's about a 50-50 mix with cold or lukewarm water. I submerged the whole hat and gently tried to rub and brush it clean. And yes it does take out some stains that white gas doesn't. I did rinse the hat after the treatment, but some of the vinegar seems to have been left. Hence the smell. Just let the hat dry on its own as you normally would and it should be fine.
Sometimes I try treating a spot or stain with some dishwashing soap as well, which does a pretty good job too. Haven't had a problem with the leather so far, but I treat it afterward with some leather conditioner.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Max. It took Sigmund thirty years of counselling to come to the conclusion that he still didn't understand them!

As for the cleaning: it's a tip I picked up from Doug (@Tukwila). Apparently it's about a 50-50 mix with cold or lukewarm water. I submerged the whole hat and gently tried to rub and brush it clean. And yes it does take out some stains that white gas doesn't. I did rinse the hat after the treatment, but some of the vinegar seems to have been left. Hence the smell. Just let the hat dry on its own as you normally would and it should be fine.
Sometimes I try treating a spot or stain with some dishwashing soap as well, which does a pretty good job too. Haven't had a problem with the leather so far, but I treat it afterward with some leather conditioner.
It surprises me how we like/find the same hats on eBay and think the same things sometimes, Stefan. I have been wondering about submerging the whole hat in dishwashing soap as well.
I took the ribbon of a hat that had been "cleaned" in white gas and put it in diswashing concentrate. It turned brown in 3 minutes.

I haven't tried it with a hat because I decided to just give them to Ignacio to clean with Percloro Etileno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn