Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I wish I would've taken a few "Before" pictures of this hat before I converted it. I usually do but this time I forgot. This was a way too small and low crowned 6 3/4 Alexander Western. It was a well finished hat that felt and reacted like a vintage one. Better than most modern Westerns I've worked with. Anyway, I was able to block it up to a 7 1/4 LO. After I took it off the block the crown just dry creased so easy, something similar to a vintage 3X Beaver Stetson. In fact, a bit better, and felt better to the touch, too. Definitely a well finished hat for a modern Western. I didn't have to thin the crown down at all. The brim, on the other hand, was what you'd expect from a recent Western, thick and stiff, but still well finished. The brim, I did have to thin down. I got a fairly tall open crown out of it for being so low when I first started it. I ended up with a good vertical sided 5 5/8 open crown and is creased to my preferred Teardrop. 'As creased', it's 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 inches in the back, and is 5 inches at its tallest. The brim is 2 5/8 inches wide. I reused the original single ply skinny ribbon to accentuate the hat's profile and to give it a crisp and casual look....

Off the Block and brim trimmed:
IMG-20220203-093513733.jpg

After:
Alexander-7-A.jpg

Alexander-6-A.jpg

Alexander-8-A.jpg

Alexander-14-A.jpg

On the head:
Alexander-12-A.jpg

Alexander-13-A.jpg

Two of my conversions, Alexander and a 3X Beaver Quality Stetson:
Alexander-15-B.jpg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!
It's a beautiful Mendocino Coast day, so I thought I'd break the rules and busted out this old colonial blocked Adam Royal Quality Panama that I bought several years ago from Shopgoodwilldotcom. The brim, previously dry and stiff, is still very pliable after treating it with coconut oil soon after I got it.

View attachment 401286 View attachment 401287 View attachment 401288 View attachment 401289 View attachment 401290 View attachment 401291 View attachment 401293

I couldn't wear it without thinking of everyone here, so I thought I'd pop in and share!
Have a great day!
Great to see you, John.
That's one nice looking Panama.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Twofer Strats. View attachment 401351
The blue one is one you’ve seen and a late 40s/early 50s model taken completely apart, re-blocked and sewn back together to be sized from size 7 to 7 1/4, and the newly re-sized mid 50s 7 1/8 done the same painstaking way is sporting a wider vintage ribbon and bow.
Both debute new, to me, crown styling. A combination of my favorite creases. Half diamond, half teardrop offering the “square crown” look of a diamond crease and the nice rounded back of a big teardrop.
Never seen one creased like this and hope I’ve stumbled onto something others might like as well?

Green Strat:
View attachment 401352

View attachment 401353
Blue Strat:
View attachment 401348 View attachment 401350

Back to green:

View attachment 401355
Great jobs on the Strats, Randall. Dig that new style crease.

I wish I would've taken a few "Before" pictures of this hat before I converted it. I usually do but this time I forgot. This was a way too small and low crowned 6 3/4 Alexander Western. It was a well finished hat that felt and reacted like a vintage one. Better than most modern Westerns I've worked with. Anyway, I was able to block it up to a 7 1/4 LO. After I took it off the block the crown just dry creased so easy, something similar to a vintage 3X Beaver Stetson. In fact, a bit better, and felt better to the touch, too. Definitely a well finished hat for a modern Western. I didn't have to thin the crown down at all. The brim, on the other hand, was what you'd expect from a recent Western, thick and stiff, but still well finished. The brim, I did have to thin down. I got a fairly tall open crown out of it for being so low when I first started it. I ended up with a good vertical sided 5 5/8 open crown and is creased to my preferred Teardrop. 'As creased', it's 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 inches in the back, and is 5 inches at its tallest. The brim is 2 5/8 inches wide. I reused the original single ply skinny ribbon to accentuate the hat's profile and to give it a crisp and casual look....

After:
Alexander-7-A.jpg

Alexander-6-A.jpg

Alexander-8-A.jpg

Alexander-14-A.jpg

On the head:
Alexander-12-A.jpg

Alexander-13-A.jpg

Alexander-15-B.jpg

Great work as usual, Terry. I know several of us here are waiting for the time you hand out your shingle and offer your conversion services.

After:
Alexander-7-A.jpg

Alexander-6-A.jpg

Alexander-8-A.jpg

Alexander-14-A.jpg

On the head:
Alexander-12-A.jpg

Alexander-13-A.jpg

Alexander-15-B.jpg
Terry, you just keep getting better and better at this.

That's a beauty, Max.

Bonjour mes amis du chapeau... today a nice old European velour purchased from Daniele, originally sold at the venerable Paris store le BHV.

View attachment 401656

View attachment 401657

View attachment 401658

View attachment 401654

View attachment 401655
Tres bien, Alan!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

After:
Alexander-7-A.jpg

Alexander-6-A.jpg

Alexander-8-A.jpg

Alexander-14-A.jpg

On the head:
Alexander-12-A.jpg

Alexander-13-A.jpg

Alexander-15-B.jpg