Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Mighty44

One Too Many
If you can't find a Whippet, make your own version of one. This is a Melton that I converted. It seems to be a more "recent vintage". Not the best felt, but still decent. It was a nice little project and I like its new profile. I reblocked it on my RA block. Afterward, I popped a teardrop crease in the crown , slapped on a new ribbon, and threw a new sweat in it, and viola...

Off the block. Brim trimmed. Ready to put together:
IMG-20201129-125438170.jpg

After: a little upswoop to my bow work
Melton_Fedora_3A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_4A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_7A.jpg

On the head:

Melton_Hat_1A.jpg

Melton_Hat_2A.jpg

Melton_Hat_5A.jpg
Perfect, Terry!

If you can't find a Whippet, make your own version of one. This is a Melton that I converted. It seems to be a more "recent vintage". Not the best felt, but still decent. It was a nice little project and I like its new profile. I reblocked it on my RA block. Afterward, I popped a teardrop crease in the crown , slapped on a new ribbon, and threw a new sweat in it, and viola...

Melton_Fedora_3A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_4A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_7A.jpg

On the head:

Melton_Hat_1A.jpg

Melton_Hat_2A.jpg

Melton_Hat_5A.jpg

Some old stuff:

Some of us who are old enough remember Sha Na Na

Me and the wife way back when. We were both 20 here. No hat, no beard.
1664041465931.jpg
Well done Terry!!! Looks great!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Melton_Fedora_3A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_4A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_7A.jpg

On the head:

Melton_Hat_1A.jpg

Melton_Hat_2A.jpg

Melton_Hat_5A.jpg

Some old stuff:

1664041465931.jpg
A great looking Jones' Whippet, Terry.

Some great links too, and a lovely sweetheart photo.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Going out today with my new Akubra Stylemaster in brown (Loden).

20221105_161406.jpg

Haven't owned an Akubra since about 2020. I own mostly Stetson Royal Deluxe and Borsalinos. I actually stopped buying Akubras because of their inconsistency, or at least the inconsistency I perceived in my hats.

I previously owned Stylemasters in Carbon Grey, Federation Navy, and Loden. The Carbon Grey hat actually arrived in the mail completely unstiff, which is unlike typical Akubras. The brim of each hat was curled differently, whereas the Carbon Grey hat was less curled, while the Federation Navy hat was extremely so. These differences could not be steamed out.

The Stylemasters I received now in Acorn Fawn, Carbon Grey, Federation Navy, and Loden are completely identical. They each perform the same way, which I am pleased about.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Lupo HOM 1.jpg
I've never bought a new Borsalino, this time I broke the rule with some apprehension.
Lupo HOM A.jpg
The hat was in its dusty box, protected by nylon and completely dissolved rubber belt.
Lupo HOM 6a.jpg

New and never used, it was bought as a gift, but it stayed in the closet for years.
Lupo HOM interno.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore, model "Lobbia" size 6 1/2 French style. 60 cm. in EU, 7 1/2 US
Lupo HOM 4.jpg
"Lupo" is the color of the felt, the color of the ribbon match the felt
Lupo HOM 6b.jpg
I thought about wearing it to make it still alive. Here it is on a sunny and cool day with a culpably late autumn.
Have a nice Sunday!

Edit For all the Borsalino palette of colors lovers: "Lupo" (wolf) is one of the most indefinable grays in the very extensive Borsalino range of grays. It has some hints of brown and the dye often interprets it darker than this with results very dissimilar from each other. This one in on the "clear" side :)

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good Day Light Savings Standard Day. So far it has been a VS (Vintage Silhouettes)fedora morning.

Sage beaver VS fedora. This was inspired by the Stetson Stratoliner.

i-MM6r7NF-M.jpg

i-QkrZFqN-M.jpg

Out for errands in a VS Wanderer in granite beaver felt. This hat was inspired by the Stetson hat of said name.

i-f99rS7t-M.jpg

i-6F36b5K-M.jpg

i-4rfbQFz-M.jpg

Morning coffee in a VS Executive. This silverbelly beaver felt fedora is inspired by the Adam Pacesetters in Executive quality.

i-mcvJ5N5-M.jpg

i-HKsPRLB-M.jpg

i-tcfcCxj-M.jpg

My day started earlier according to the "new time."

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you can't find a Whippet, make your own version of one. This is a Melton that I converted. It seems to be a more "recent vintage". Not the best felt, but still decent. It was a nice little project and I like its new profile. I reblocked it on my RA block. Afterward, I popped a teardrop crease in the crown , slapped on a new ribbon, and threw a new sweat in it, and voila...

Melton_Fedora_3A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_4A.jpg

Melton_Fedora_7A.jpg

On the head:

Melton_Hat_1A.jpg

Melton_Hat_2A.jpg

Melton_Hat_5A.jpg

Some old stuff:

1664041465931.jpg
What a great posting, you wowed me with the hat and I love the young couple with a heart in the background, just fabulous.

I don't have either the skills nor the tools to make any sort of hat, but I know a lady who can.
She made me a silverbelly-esque style of hat,
Green blazer grey hat and trousers 003.JPG

My missus' talent has been seen many a time on here, but today she excelled herself, not with what she made, but having seen and learned about the silverbelly, she bought something for me. I must try and make it last. Ha, some hope!
silverbelly-delicious.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
What a great posting, you wowed me with the hat and I love the young couple with a heart in the background, just fabulous.

I don't have either the skills nor the tools to make any sort of hat, but I know a lady who can.
View attachment 462778

My missus' talent has been seen many a time on here, but today she excelled herself, not with what she made, but having seen and learned about the silverbelly, she bought something for me. I must try and make it last. Ha, some hope!
View attachment 462780
Thank you buddy I really appreciate that. Sadly, though, that young couple isn't so young anymore. That picture was taken 48 years ago at the Ohio State Fair when we were both 20. We weren't married very long at the time. Those years went by so fast. My next project is building a time machine.

I believe I know the lady you're speaking of who made that hat, and it goes well with that nice outfit you're wearing. The whole ensemble looks really good on you. A lot of class.

Now that is what I call a good wife!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 462704
I've never bought a new Borsalino, this time I broke the rule with some apprehension.
View attachment 462706
The hat was in its dusty box, protected by nylon and completely dissolved rubber belt.
View attachment 462707
New and never used, it was bought as a gift, but it stayed in the closet for years.
View attachment 462708
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore, model "Lobbia" size 6 1/2 French style. 60 cm. in EU, 7 1/2 US
View attachment 462709
"Lupo" is the color of the felt, the color of the ribbon match the felt
View attachment 462710
I thought about wearing it to make it still alive. Here it is on a sunny and cool day with a culpably late autumn.
Have a nice Sunday!
A mighty fine looking Borsalino Lobbia, Daniele. Looks like you were wise to break your rule :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 462778

View attachment 462780
A wonderful sartorial ensemble from top to toe, Robert. I especially like the look of your tie.

I know you know it already, but your dear wife is definitely a keeper :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy