1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AbbaDatDeHat, Sep 18, 2018.

1. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

That looks to be a beautiful example from Borsalino's glory days of hat making. The smaller size vintage hats are more plentiful, of course, but that particular Borsa appears to be something special and you might regret selling it. If, however, you don't want to keep it you might want to consider listing here on the Lounge in the classified section.

2. Here is a link to an article about Straw Hat Day (May 15th each year). https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/straw-hat-day/
    M

3. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

Care to explain? I love learning about hats and I'm new to this. That listing was suggested by another lounge member, it's in excellent condition, just needs a re-steam for the brim. I love it other than the colour. Super soft could reshape easily dry, although, probably won't hold a tear drop too well.

steur likes this.
  4. JessieJames

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

At your size, some patience should reward you with many great options for gray vintage hats. You should also be able to pick them up at very good prices. Spend some time on eBay etc. and get a feel for what hats in your size, style, vintage, and color preferences sell for. I’d be shocked if you didn’t find some real gems in the sub $100 range (I find them all the time when looking for hats in my larger size).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steur, M Hatman and JessieJames like this.
  6. JessieJames

Is there a thread somewhere on fedora lounge on asking advice for ebay (or other) listings in terms of validating the quality, if the price is fair etc.?

7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

JJ:
    I’m really sorry the color was other than what the listing looked like. As i said, i have that very hat and it’s pics show the same. Sorry if i steered you wrong!!
    But...as other’s said that is a hell of a nice Borsalino from the good old days all be it tan i guess.

Bowen

steur and M Hatman like this.
  8. AbbaDatDeHat

2EF36E31-A855-488B-823C-F8AEE0B5F459.jpeg 705DAEC2-81BB-4D08-B977-0D1D47DB76A4.jpeg 810A2338-BBCC-46B1-89C0-8287B1871EAD.jpeg
    In referrence to this post.
    I took these pics of CB today in pretty good light for another person to show exactly some Silverbelly shades. Works out good here.
    Pic 1 shows all hats CB Silverbelly.
    Pics 2 and 3 have a couple sugar whites thrown in for contrast.
    B

9. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

What I'm suggesting is that, unless your other beige hats are of a superior quality to the Borsa (doubtful) and you just don't want multiple hats of the same color, I'd dump the others and keep that one. Back in the day, Borsalino was king and all others were pretenders to the throne (my opinion of course).

10. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

JJ, that's a great Borsalino as Human shoes indicated. Here's a thread you might find interesting.
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/

As this place is heavily populated with collectors, there is no dedicated thread for what you're looking for. Best to look for knowledgeable folks around here with a different hat size than you and start conversations about hats you have questions about.

11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Great reference post, B.

deadlyhandsome and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  12. Steve1857

Steve1857 Practically Family

Bowen, I might stop drooling in a couple of hours. Wow, man! Wow!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

13. Steve1857

Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations, but believe me, that Borsalino is a keeper. As another lounger mentioned, keep that one, sell some others.

14. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

What a beautiful picture! Every one is exceptional.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. AbbaDatDeHat

Ha ha
    Glad you guys like it!
    I’m in mourning...i popped the sweat stitch on a 7X CB OR flipping sweats for pics!! You NEVER can tell by looking!!
    All for the greater cause i guess??
    B

16. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Janyška Velour possibly late 1930s early 1940s and a recent arrival. This is my first Janyška Velour and the felt is fantastic. Unfortunately the model name on the paper label is not legible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crown tip patch is missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Jauntyone, steur, DOGMAN and 12 others like this.
  17. Steve1857

A couple of days late for straw hat day, but I wore this Stetson raffia while sailing over Issefjord today for a long weekend in the country. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Steve1857

Another super velour, Steve. My finger tips can almost feel how great that felt feels.

M Hatman likes this.
  19. Steve1857

Don't you just hate it when that happens. I thought I could stretch a 1920s bowler a bit by pulling it a little further down on my head. The sound of the crack of the sweat band coming away was closely followed by the sound of me wailing.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  20. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Steve, Thank you! Janyška & Cie. were located in same area of Moravia as J. Hückel´s Söhne. Your Stetson Raffia looks fantastic!

Janyška & Cie.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/194-janyška-cie/

Steve1857 likes this.