Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Sure, Ken!
This is how I stretch a 57 cm hat into a 58.5
First, I had many band blocks made to the exact shape of my head with a conformer.
You can see that the measuring tape marks exactly 58.5 cms. around the block.
A couple of days ago, I put a liberal ammount of Pecard Antique Leather Conditioner on the sweatband.
Today, I add some more, and some on the wooden band block.
Then, I start forcing the hat down the block. It might take just one time, or several times spread over a few days, but eventually, it will go down all the way on the block.
You have to keep it on the block when you aren't weating the hat, or it might shrink again.
The last picture shows how the felt in the front of the hat curves as a result of being stretched. What I do to resolve that is that I sharpen the front pinch, and it disappears.
b5db03f5cd68eb9554a3affcf327d7c4.jpg
d97b58eeda8c2d45dade1f7cffad13b0.jpg
c3d7f30af5f414c4319890bcb6e70677.jpg
694c72dd0b9eeb7dbc15eaea25defbca.jpg
83bea6ca424f6317e4f1be38c2c8e3c9.jpg
dc70aa2a8183bf3b863d5ee8bfd179d8.jpg
76be0ed6e7d0d7fcd2784eb4e568f5f1.jpg
0732f0f39a4d209f48ac2efbd4a8b279.jpg
cef7df53764ef40fd9eab4205f01a80f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Dang it Max, you're a wealth of knowledge. I have some regular Pecards Leather Care Lotion that I use on hat bands. Never used the "Antique" Pecards. Guess it's a bit different. I'll need to see if I can get Nate to make me a band block. I've got a couple I'd like to stretch out. I had a few that were just a half size too big or were kinda oval and not rounded like my melon head and Nate puts them in my conformer at his shop and sets it in his steamer and and "presto steamo" it fits perfect. But that is only good for small size changes. Nate does lots of small fixes for me like hatbands, sweatbands, blocking, shaping, cleaning, and he's awesome. Just his pure beaver new hat prices are at the top of the scale like Optimos. But he has no problem fixing the stuff I bring in to his shop and the repair prices are resonable, similar to Art Fawcetts. Love watching him work a hat, I like to hang out and chat with him whenever I get the time and he's always friendly and willing to share his knowledge. He's also from Wisconsin, one of the indian tribes there.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Dang it Max, you're a wealth of knowledge. I have some regular Pecards Leather Care Lotion that I use on hat bands. Never used the "Antique" Pecards. Guess it's a bit different. I'll need to see if I can get Nate to make me a band block. I've got a couple I'd like to stretch out. I had a few that were just a half size too big or were kinda oval and not rounded like my melon head and Nate puts them in my conformer at his shop and sets it in his steamer and and "presto steamo" it fits perfect. But that is only good for small size changes. Nate does lots of small fixes for me like hatbands, sweatbands, blocking, shaping, cleaning, and he's awesome. Just his pure beaver new hat prices are at the top of the scale like Optimos. But he has no problem fixing the stuff I bring in to his shop and the repair prices are resonable, similar to Art Fawcetts. Love watching him work a hat, I like to hang out and chat with him whenever I get the time and he's always friendly and willing to share his knowledge. He's also from Wisconsin, one of the indian tribes there.
I know it stretches belief a little, Ken, but if I put a little water, enough to simulate sweat only, on a 59 cm sweat band and then put it on my band block with a little steam, it seems to shrink to 58.5 cm.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
I know it stretches belief a little, Ken, but if I put a little water, enough to simulate sweat only, on a 59 cm sweat band and then put it on my band block with a little steam, it seems to shrink to 58.5 cm.

Learning so much about hats. Who would've thunk it? LOL What a fun hobby. Thanks Max for sharing that. Mucho appreciated. ;)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ken your Pecards Lotion is their water based treatment that is thinner and soaks in quickly. The Pecards Dressings come in a tub, are wax based that you have to rub in and which dry slowly. All their dressings are basically the same formula except for the black dressing. It has dyes or coloring added.
It’s the best leather product i’ve ever used. If leather can be brought back from the dead, Pecards will do it. I’ve saved cardboard jackets with it. Amazing!
B

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Ken your Pecards Lotion is their water based treatment that is thinner and soaks in quickly. The Pecards Dressings come in a tub, are wax based that you have to rub in and which dry slowly. All their dressings are basically the same formula except for the black dressing. It has dyes or coloring added.
It’s the best leather product i’ve ever used. If leather can be brought back from the dead, Pecards will do it. I’ve saved cardboard jackets with it. Amazing!
B
Good to know Bowen. I've used it on my sweatband and seems okay, will order some of the antique dressing and give it a try. I have one with a really dry sweat.

Rockwater

A-List Customer
I like the Antique Pecard because it helps with reducing the friction while forcing the hat down the band block. Acts a little like vaseline.

That band block appears to be without taper Max. Is that so?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
That band block appears to be without taper Max. Is that so?
No, it has taper, it's just that I am not a good photographer.

I have a plaster cast of my head that I made with dental materials in my lab. It is an exact copy of the shape of my head, better than any conformer. I tried to duplicate the taper of the plaster cast in the wooden blocks by making a tracing of the top and bottom of the cast and asking the carpenters to duplicate the difference in perimeters between them. The forehead is almost straight, while my occipital area has more taper.
They have made 120 blocks for me, so by now they're experts.
8950c9628c677b1fe9167cb33219aec3.jpg
76960a2fcba8b9c8bc2ded9da7557ec9.jpg

I like it better every time I see it, Bob. I can almost feel that felt.

This one looks great, Bob!

Damn Bob, that is a very cool hat. Love it.

Bob....I wanna feel that felt....wow, looks amazing.

That's probably my favorite of yours, Bob.

Could we see some inside pics, Bob? I have never seen pics of one of those.

Thanks everyone (and everyone for the likes). Here are interior pics:

34ee0416f8c81b8860be56f9be483c37.heic

72f6bdfd5c7718f6434f90da55a9fbde.heic

63dbc6590f6b3e6219d63c61db2c8dc4.heic

3cd328f3346677eedfea60a4617a3fe0.heic

98d81066c73966beaed121338b5b2d7c.heic

b84cc2ded3dc6114c1d0b183f1818cbe.heic

de3f9b14ea7604ade38afc692249510a.heic

ca66b0f584d37fe84670b8677030b7e4.heic

be88a79389372bc066819fcbd232de9c.heic

1929:

stetson_tropic_weight_1929_ad-jpg.123825

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
B
I’ve also used Connolly Hide Care with great success. I use both and would have a hard time deciding which is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran