Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

great one. Is this a new acquisition?

Thanks Alan. It's recent anyway. Was part of a four hat auction lot (including a Malrov, Astor and Dobbs Rainbow).

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/post-new-hats-here.28145/page-1867#post-2429249

I think it's barely in the 1920s. Justin and Jim thought so and I found this introductory ad.

1929:

stetson_tropic_weight_1929_ad-jpg.123825

stetson_tropic_weight_1929_ad_detail-jpg.123826

stetson_tropic_weight_1929_ad_newspaper-jpg.123827

Thanks Alan. It's recent anyway. Was part of a four hat auction lot (including a Malrov, Astor and Dobbs Rainbow).

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/post-new-hats-here.28145/page-1867#post-2429249

I think it's barely in the 1920s. Justin and Jim thought so and I found this introductory ad.

1929:

That's a great hat and great documentation. I'm sorry I missed the post when you received it. The price in the 1929 ads - $8-$10 - still reflects the optimism and inflation of the 1920s before the market crash in October of that year. It would be a long time before lightweight unlined hats would return to that level.

The $7 price tag looks to have been a markdown... perhaps an after season, or after crash adjustment? The LOTXXXX number (5342?) would help support a c.1930 place in the timeline of Stetson hats.

Great find!

One more pic of my refurbished Vanzina, Borsalino. I'll soon be down to just this one black hat. Seems my black Resistol may be finding a new home and a new owner. I'm starting to warm up to these black hats. I'll have to find another one to convert to keep my Borsa company...
Screenshot_20181001-185553.png
Sorry that I've been too busy to comment on this conversion. I really like how it turned out. Getting rid of the taper does wonders for the look of this hat. Some days are just made for a black hat. Keeping one around is a wise move. Super Terry!

Indian Summer is here, apparently. So getting a few more wears out of some lightweights.

OPS era Dobbs Cross Country for a Tuesday excursion into the "real" world.

17538c4fe635808d6ec2f64b83ede69d.jpg
e3c3686ffbee6aae130741be3ea8c256.jpg
dc6d8b2dd79458fc369a7b1b14cd834e.jpg

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Hang onto summer for as long as you can Jim. This Dobbs is a real looker. I like it's simple, classic lines.

View attachment 138091
Navy Borsalino this morning.
One of my favorites Bob. Is it Mirtillo? or some other Borsalino name for navy blue?

1929:

Cool research Bob. This one is a museum piece. That haul was epic!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I've known this brand of French coffers for many years, I've never had a hat of my size to wear. I found a lot of advertising or Morreton posters on the market, never a hat to put on my head
142t21.jpg

Morreton Prèlude size 59 New / old stock, the heather felt has many shades according to the position of the sun
348psic.jpg

Felt and heather of gray, white and with a hint of brown, very soft and malleable even if it has a great thickness
214r4f5.jpg

Qualité Prèlude 09, color "Asphalte" with a ribbon that recalls the felt colors and the basting stitches still present
Proportions are: raw brim at 5 cm., crown at 12 cm. and ribbon is 4 cm.
jacg9e.jpg

The hat has no lining and has defects in the sweatband, small deficiencies. It is another of the French arrived in late summer.
15xthc3.jpg

Thanks for your likes on the previous Flechet.
Good day to all
That is some beautiful Heather, Daniele. Looking good.

Michael

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, Ken. I'm having second thoughts on the hat, though. I just can't seem to get past that 3 inch brim width.
I've found I actually like the wider brims now. The last Champ I picked up has a brim width of 2-3/4" and I've found that I like the look and the extra shade and protection from the weather.

Bill Hughes

Thank you, Ken. I'm having second thoughts on the hat, though. I just can't seem to get past that 3 inch brim width.
It took me a while but now I prefer wider brims and taller crowns. I try to avoid the temptation of anything less than 2 3/4" brim width. But I do stay at 3" max. I find I am wearing my 2 1/2" brims less and less. I started replacing them with wider brims and then selling the other.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
That ribbon!! And a back bow to boot! Looking sharp for your travels today Michael.
Thanks Red. After wasting away the morning I'm finally ready to get out on the bike. I believe the Champ has proven to be bike friendly in the past, so it will be accompanying me.

Thanks,
Michael

Tukwila

I like the 3” brim and your conversion makes it look wonderful. I think the wide brim looks good on you, but you’re the one who has to wear it. Trim it if need be...or sell it to Max and get something more your speed? A quality hat that never gets worn is a great shame and does no one any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I like the 3” brim and your conversion makes it look wonderful. I think the wide brim looks good on you, but you’re the one who has to wear it. Trim it if need be...or sell it to Max and get something more your speed? A quality hat that never gets worn is a great shame and does no one any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I definitely won't get rid of it, that's for sure. I'm either going to get to used to the 3 inch brim or I'll take it down a little. But I hate the thought of trimming that brim and losing the binding and taking away from its originality. I put a little stiffener on the brim and it seems to be holding up fairly well instead of the floppiness it had. But, getting rid of it is out of the question. Not for sale.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It took me a while but now I prefer wider brims and taller crowns. I try to avoid the temptation of anything less than 2 3/4" brim width. But I do stay at 3" max. I find I am wearing my 2 1/2" brims less and less. I started replacing them with wider brims and then selling the other.
I'm not big on 2 1/2 brims either. But if you have a hat with a tall straight crown and a 2 1/2 brim it doesn't look so bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael