Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

A true joy to behold, Alan. What a shame Hawes didn't last longer.
My goodness, Alan! I’ve long ago exhausted my vocabulary to adequately comment on your hats, but this one just moves me. What a great hat, and I did enjoy seeing it. Thank you!
Wow, thanks for sharing this beauty!

Thank you for the notes... much appreciated. Josh did a wonderful write-up on this company a decade ago. I think I've added four hats overall to the thread over the years - a soft hat, a derby, a boater, and another straw that may have been a woman's style. Perhaps their company mission to come in 2 dollars below Stetson and Knox and the other major makers could not be maintained and be profitable. They don't seem to have continued beyond WWI.

FunnelVission

New in Town
Arrived just in time for a nice night out to Dinner with my Grandmother!
First time shaping a hat, and haven't steamed anything in yet. I'm finding symmetry is much more difficult than everyone on YouTube makes it look, haha.
Stetson Premier Stratoliner in sage.
sMKDrFC.jpg

Qx14Y2O.jpg

View attachment 373880
I don't know if the windbreaker or the hat is older.
View attachment 373882
However, today with an antique jacket and black Barbisio with pleated ribbon sold in Germany, I enjoyed the sunshine of a warm autumn.
View attachment 373883 View attachment 373884 Here is a hat that comes from an exchange with the Netherlands.
View attachment 373890
Great discovery of Stefan who has hit my tastes, on the other hand I treat him very well.
View attachment 373891
This is one of those hats that when it reappears from the boxes it always gives me a bit of emotion.
Happy Friday to you all

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday. The hat parade is going strong these last days of October.

This morning I wore a gilled Monson fedora for my morning dog jaunt.

i-MkDtsrd-M.jpg

i-rkP4Hch-M.jpg

i-qdWdjMx-M.jpg

i-DwsGjTk-M.jpg

A quick errand found me in a Stetson Playboy.

i-VxwCBj5-M.jpg

i-m4j449n-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Eric and Daniele with a fabulous display of gills today

I'm pretty sure that no one even bats an eye anymore at this old man taking selfies on the beach wearing a leather jacket and fur felt hat.

Resistol 5X Beaver with touches of Alley Cat Hat Co..
View attachment 374033 View attachment 374034 View attachment 374035
View attachment 374036
“Oh that’s just David…. He’s gonna take a few selfie’s with his hat and then he’s gonna swim on out past the breakers and float around a while. Don’t worry…. He’s not dead…. He’s VERY much LIVING!

By the way… beautiful Resistol

First time shaping a hat, and haven't steamed anything in yet. I'm finding symmetry is much more difficult than everyone on YouTube makes it look, haha.
sMKDrFC.jpg

Qx14Y2O.jpg

I want to say that perfect symmetry isn’t important, but most of us try for it. I really like the asymmetrical “organic” creases seen in historic photos, but I always try to at least start out symmetrical. Yours looks good now and it will develop over time with use.

This Stevens 3X Beaver California Weight resides in the same hat box as yesterday’s Marathon. I believe I need to open this box more often.

EE0EAE04-6A47-482B-98E8-0577CFF9B6AB.jpeg
8DCC54B6-CF87-4DA3-A95C-535C945B0BE6.jpeg
7DE8EF2E-A29A-44E2-9AD1-65876829C840.jpeg
9A941798-B088-4B3E-98E1-054F2E4E44AD.jpeg
4D9675EA-C9AC-4822-95EF-6975ACCFE977.jpeg
B1EF6E16-A9F0-4FFD-A3C5-96DB16CBB204.jpeg
42EF0656-DC9F-4CFA-96CD-1A81CF36470E.jpeg

Amusingly enough I just noticed on the sweat…. “3X Beaver” “Hares Fur”. Well at least they are partially honest about it :D

Last edited:

FunnelVission

New in Town
Nice job.. ease of symmetry may come in time…. Though a little bit of asymmetry can add a bit of character

I want to say that perfect symmetry isn’t important, but most of us try for it. I really like the asymmetrical “organic” creases seen in historic photos, but I always try to at least start out symmetrical. Yours looks good now and it will develop over time with use.

Thanks! I'm not too worried about perfect symmetry, and do like the idea of letting the crease develop its own character, but trying to start symmetrical is definitely a goal. The first crease I tried was straight down the middle, and I couldn't get it even remotely strait, let alone symmetrical haha. Looking at some of the other hats with center creases, I think I may have been over-analyzing/criticizing my creasing though (I mean, it was still way off, just not as bad as my mind eye was making it out to be).

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hawes Von Gal, c.1910. Among the rarest of rare... a soft hat with longhair finish produced by a short lived company (founded late 1800s, entered receivership in 1914). Many advertisements for the Hawes $3 hat survive, but precious few examples and almost all are stiff hats in rough condition. Well made and beautifully finished - from the drape of the bow, perhaps a silk ribbon. I don't wear it often - hope you enjoy seeing it.

View attachment 373970

View attachment 373965

View attachment 373972

View attachment 373968

View attachment 373969

View attachment 373966

View attachment 373971
Could you please add that to the Hard-to-find thread Alan? Or is it OK if I do?

Thanks! I'm not too worried about perfect symmetry, and do like the idea of letting the crease develop its own character, but trying to start symmetrical is definitely a goal. The first crease I tried was straight down the middle, and I couldn't get it even remotely strait, let alone symmetrical haha. Looking at some of the other hats with center creases, I think I may have been over-analyzing/criticizing my creasing though (I mean, it was still way off, just not as bad as my mind eye was making it out to be).
Oh I get it… especially when brand new. The urge for perfection can be strong and understandable. I’m usually dealing with felts that are decades older than me.. they can sometimes be set in their ways LOL.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
sMKDrFC.jpg

Welcome to the Lounge. Nice looking Strat. Great colour, too. Steam is your friend. Don't worry too much about symmetry. Our heads and faces aren't symmetrical either.
It would be nice to see some photos of the inside of your Strat.
Hope your Grandmother enjoyed her evening btw.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This Stevens 3X Beaver California Weight resides in the same hat box as yesterday’s Marathon. I believe I need to open this box more often.

View attachment 374076 View attachment 374077 View attachment 374078 View attachment 374079 View attachment 374080 View attachment 374081 View attachment 374082

Amusingly enough I just noticed on the sweat…. “3X Beaver” “Hares Fur”. Well at least they are partially honest about it :D

Wish I had a box like that, Joe :)

FunnelVission

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge. Nice looking Strat. Great colour, too. Steam is your friend. Don't worry too much about symmetry. Our heads and faces aren't symmetrical either.
It would be nice to see some photos of the inside of your Strat.
Hope your Grandmother enjoyed her evening btw.
Thanks! Here's an inside picture of it!
IfiANJj.jpg

The leather buckling is from my strip of webbing. I wear a long oval, so the only hat I have that doesn't need something on the sides is my Gannon. Out of the box it was nice and flat though. I do like the little gold line running along the edge, thought that was a nice little touch.

On your reply from the new hat thread, I will have to add a derby to my list! Currently though my top want is a vintage OR to replace my modern one. We haven't left for dinner yet (leave in about an hour), but we will do our best to have a great dinner ;), thanks!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Symmetry is much like the weather...some days better then others but always evolving.
Great Strat contrast.
B

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 374076 View attachment 374077 View attachment 374078 View attachment 374079 View attachment 374080 View attachment 374081 View attachment 374082

Awesome looking lid and love the ribbon! Hare, Beaver, Kitten fur, tarantula fuzz; doesn’t matter. The durn hat is super sharp and I’d wear it so often it wouldn’t get much box time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk