Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words, Eric. Etsuko appreciated it. I’m sure it’s just a matter of getting the hurdle of getting that first hat/that first of a new style on the head for your wife. Keep at it.
Etsuko just ordered a couple of new cloche hats from the Village Hat Shop. If anyone has good info on places to find good women’s hats, it would be appreciated. I know @belfastboy was looking at making women’s hats, but haven’t seen any as yet.

Women tend to look better in "our" hats than we do, Gary. I know my daughters do, and I'm not the only one who has noticed that :)

Etsuko always looks good in her chosen choice of headwear, as do you btw. I'm sure she would look good in any hat. You both have style and know how to carry it off. That's the secret ;-)

Thanks for the kind words, Eric. Etsuko appreciated it. I’m sure it’s just a matter of getting the hurdle of getting that first hat/that first of a new style on the head for your wife. Keep at it.
Etsuko just ordered a couple of new cloche hats from the Village Hat Shop. If anyone has good info on places to find good women’s hats, it would be appreciated. I know @belfastboy was looking at making women’s hats, but haven’t seen any as yet.
Here are 2 hats I made for my wife. The Navy blue has a wire in the brim so it can be styled as more a cloche look or fully flipped up or something in between. My other hats for female clients have been more fedora stylings with some feminine touches in the ribbon/bow work. In the first pic the brim binding has yet to have the final sewing just the basting stitch. I have blocks to fit down to a 6 3/4 head size in both reg & long oval.
CIMG1684.JPG
CIMG1698.JPG
CIMG1971.JPG

Here are 2 hats I made for my wife. The Navy blue has a wire in the brim so it can be styled as more a cloche look or fully flipped up or something in between. My other hats for female clients have been more fedora stylings with some feminine touches in the ribbon/bow work. In the first pic the brim binding has yet to have the final sewing just the basting stitch. I have blocks to fit down to a 6 3/4 head size in both reg & long oval.
View attachment 378887 View attachment 378888 View attachment 378889
Really nice Robert.

Started off the day with Mallory The Dallas

EC9B8A77-488D-43F9-AA4E-6FBAFA290D6F.jpeg
BD88B695-E92E-46B7-BD9A-2A659157603E.jpeg
19F9E16E-301B-4408-948C-01F59FD7F2BC.jpeg

This evening switched to the latest arrival

68C745B9-63CF-4A52-BB54-C3F52F0E1313.jpeg

Lee Hats - White Label - Gay Prince styling
Very light silver felt with Velvet texture finish
5 inch crown with center dent (about 5 1/2 open)
2 5/8 brim with GP inspired slash/dash binding
7/8 self felted band with matching slash/dash pattern

This is the bell of the ball of the three hats to arrive yesterday. While the other two might not be too much to write home about, this one steals the show. I believe this my first Lee White label and I have never come across a Lee with this type of styling. I do own two Dobbs Gay Prince hats which this Lee is modeled after, which makes a great point of reference for me. As many brands did make their own attempt to copy the GP styling it does not surprise me that Lee made this offering. What does surprise me is how much they got right! First they chose to go with an alternating whip stitch and saddle stitch for the edge biding creating an appealing slash dash pattern a sort of GP upgrade. However beyond the visual aspect of the brim binding and self felted band. Lee went above and beyond with the felt finish. The GP hats generally have a very thin extremely short hair velvety finish. A quality of felt I haven’t really come across on too many other hats. Lee came VERY close here. Especially with what I am assuming a mid to late 50s hat. (Which I am basing on the later Lee logo… not sure when the change was made). Probably not same felt as my 40s GP but very similar to my 50s. The moths seem to agree as there are quite a number of small moth divots and tracks along the top of the brim but they really do not take away from the beauty of this hat. The color is an absolutely beautiful very light silver. The original price tag had this one retailing at $15. It came in a very cool Lee hats box. I’m really enjoying this rare unusual treasure. Thanks to Bob for the heads up on this one.

7985C0EC-D4B2-40A0-8BE8-AF4088593902.jpeg
01368259-2D67-4307-B3F3-408996893298.jpeg
ED3B4183-9EBD-4705-9AC8-84AC97E1A070.jpeg

The Lee is a bit light shade silver than The Dallas.

DF00821C-B015-42B6-A08C-051C8D8531A9.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Women tend to look better in "our" hats than we do, Gary. I know my daughters do, and I'm not the only one who has noticed that :)

Etsuko always looks good in her chosen choice of headwear, as do you btw. I'm sure she would look good in any hat. You both have style and know how to carry it off. That's the secret ;-)
Don’t I know it. And you guys never leave me in any doubt about who’s looking better!:confused:
But she doesn’t own much in the way of typical Fedora-type hats. I do keep encouraging her on that front, but she’s not so confident in that style. She tends to prefer cloches or Casa Blanca(?) hats…mushroom hats?…like a kettle brim, but with the brim turned down rather than up. I’m still getting to know the women’s hat styles and what they’re called.

View attachment 378887 View attachment 378888 View attachment 378889
Thanks for the pictures. That second hat, in particular, is quite spectacular. Etsuko was also impressed. We’ll certainly keep you in mind next time Etsuko’s looking for something.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Started off the day with Mallory The Dallas
This evening switched to the latest arrival
Lee Hats - White Label - Gay Prince styling
Very light silver felt with Velvet texture finish
5 inch crown with center dent (about 5 1/2 open)
2 5/8 brim with GP inspired slash/dash binding
7/8 self felted band with matching slash/dash pattern

This is the bell of the ball of the three hats to arrive yesterday. While the other two might not be too much to write home about, this one steals the show. I believe this my first Lee White label and I have never come across a Lee with this type of styling. I do own two Dobbs Gay Prince hats which this Lee is modeled after, which makes a great point of reference for me. As many brands did make their own attempt to copy the GP styling it does not surprise me that Lee made this offering. What does surprise me is how much they got right! First they chose to go with an alternating whip stitch and saddle stitch for the edge biding creating an appealing slash dash pattern a sort of GP upgrade. However beyond the visual aspect of the brim binding and self felted band. Lee went above and beyond with the felt finish. The GP hats generally have a very thin extremely short hair velvety finish. A quality of felt I haven’t really come across on too many other hats. Lee came VERY close here. Especially with what I am assuming a mid to late 50s hat. (Which I am basing on the later Lee logo… not sure when the change was made). Probably not same felt as my 40s GP but very similar to my 50s. The moths seem to agree as there are quite a number of small moth divots and tracks along the top of the brim but they really do not take away from the beauty of this hat. The color is an absolutely beautiful very light silver. The original price tag had this one retailing at $15. It came in a very cool Lee hats box. I’m really enjoying this rare unusual treasure. Thanks to Bob for the heads up on this one.The Lee is a bit light shade silver than The Dallas.

Thanks for sharing your new hat and the Dallas. The whip stitched hat is very unique and makes a terrific addition to your hat rack. Cheers on upcoming whip stitched hat expeditions.

I like the Dallas very much. I reach for the Dallas that is on my hat rack frequently. It has glorious felt and is easy to wear. The thin ribbon covers a lot of wearing situations, IMO. You wear the hat well.

Cool pic.

That time of year again. Snow finally hit the ground. Latter this year than any other year in the last 20 years.
Art Fawcett “Joe Friday”
View attachment 378966
View attachment 378967
Stay safe everyone
Johnny

Johnny; The VS hat keeps on tick'n and takes a lick'n. Good to see your hat out on snowy adventures. Congrats on first snow fall. Ours came the past couple days and like your experience it is tardy (based on historic first snows).

For a dog soirre my head was topped in a Stetson Royal DeLuxe Viscount. Great hat, clearly labeled and yet no one called my "lord." ;):D Seriously my pics do not showcase the glorious camel hued felt.

i-9RPttDT-M.jpg

i-hgTN9wp-M.jpg

i-BRzCcrz-M.jpg

It is one of less than a handful of back bowed hats I have and over time I have gotten to enjoy them more.

i-zQgznrL-M.jpg

Home and on a walkabout sipping coffee in a Stetson Vogue.

i-cB5xg8S-M.jpg

i-7qXjHNV-M.jpg

i-NPNX29s-M.jpg

i-XsppQKC-M.jpg

i-FnW4t2v-M.jpg

Cheers on a cool Monday morning in Minnesota. Cheers, Eric -

Thanks for sharing your new hat and the Dallas. The whip stitched hat is very unique and makes a terrific addition to your hat rack. Cheers on upcoming whip stitched hat expeditions.

I like the Dallas very much. I reach for the Dallas that is on my hat rack frequently. It has glorious felt and is easy to wear. The thin ribbon covers a lot of wearing situations, IMO. You wear the hat well

Thank you very much Eric. Love the wide brim binding on your Vogue

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Bill what a grand hat. It has passed through the hands of terrific modern hatters.

View attachment 378842
Today the rain raged from dawn to well beyond sunset, now a powerful wind has swept the clouds and the moon has appeared.
View attachment 378843
The photos are from yesterday morning before the bad weather started.
View attachment 378844
The Borsalino "Misto Stagno" with "Ossido" colored hatband accompanied me on a long tour among the last autumn leaves, then wind and rain.
View attachment 378845
This was supposed to be the hat for Sunday, but the weather forecast promised stormy weather and it did
View attachment 378846
Be that as it may: Happy Sunday!

Love the Misto felts! Eye catching felts.

All is good brother. Been lurking a bit but you know it can be quite intimidating posting a hat after Eric.
Tom D.

Apologies if my posts come off as such. It is unintended. My wife calls me an "Excitable Boy." I like to think of her meaning that I am very passionate/active and certainly not as the person in the Warren Zevon song (Excitable Boy). ;):D

Cheers and good to see your posts.

There's been some wonderful old black hats shown lately, so I'll hop aboard the train with this wartime camber Dobbs:
View attachment 378863

View attachment 378864

Love the hat. Sharp.

Late to yesterday's party. Knapp-Felt in my favorite shade of black.

I'm grimacing because I'm being slammed in the face with our first snow of the season.

Cheers for the black hats! Congrats on snow.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Today the biggest difficulty was not getting rain on my head while taking pictures.
As soon as I went out it started to rain, however I managed it even in the dark autumn afternoon light.
Ticino CH B.jpg

One of the hats in my collection with weird colors to say the least.
Ticino CH 9.jpg
It looks black, in reality it is a very black green with green trimmings.
Ticino CH E.jpg
Charles Hatters High Quality or a Borsalino disguised as a hat produced in the UK.
Ticino CH 3.jpg
Felt has this indefinite color and peculiar shape with a high crown and narrow brims like a 1930s hat, but it was done much later.
Ticino CH 7.jpg

A great hat that has been chased by the rain.
Thanks for your likes and appreciations

PanosChris

Practically Family
Late to yesterday's party. Knapp-Felt in my favorite shade of black.

View attachment 379009 View attachment 379010 View attachment 379011

I'm grimacing because I'm being slammed in the face with our first snow of the season.
Late but well worth the wait! I love this hat of yours!

Today the biggest difficulty was not getting rain on my head while taking pictures.
As soon as I went out it started to rain, however I managed it even in the dark autumn afternoon light.
View attachment 379019
One of the hats in my collection with weird colors to say the least.
View attachment 379020
It looks black, in reality it is a very black green with green trimmings.
View attachment 379022 Charles Hatters High Quality or a Borsalino disguised as a hat produced in the UK.
View attachment 379023
Felt has this indefinite color and peculiar shape with a high crown and narrow brims like a 1930s hat, but it was done much later.
View attachment 379024
A great hat that has been chased by the rain.
Thanks for your likes and appreciations
Keep the special felt finishes parade going, Daniele!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ