Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The size thing is kinda funny. The first fedora I ever bought was brand new in the early 90's from the last Jewish Haberdasher on Spadina Ave in Toronto. He was in his 80's and I had my hair much longer than I do now. He spent a good 2 hours with me and I came away with a dark charcoal Biltmore Royal in a size 7⅛ Jump to a few months ago and my second fedora purchase a grey Mallory circa mid - late 60's also in a 7⅛. Now both of these hats fit the same -just a little loose.
Before I purchased the Malory I measured my head and found that it is 56.5 cm, 22¼". My next hat was a vinage Biltmore from approx the same period as the Malory, but in a size 7. Now I can wear it bUT it is definitely a 'snug-fit'.
Now this Dobbs is marked as a 7, but fits me between the two 7⅛ hats and the 7. In otherworldly where my fist 2 hats(both 7⅛) are a little loose and my third hat (7) is a little snug this Dobbs (7) is a perfect fit.
So I'm not sure what all this means other than it's best to try a hat on before you buy if at all possible, but thre you hve it.
You're absolutely right, Chaz. If you want to be sure, try the hat if you can. Not always possible though.

Hat sizes should be assumed to be a ball park figure. If the hat size is in your range and you really want the hat, buy it. If it's too small, you can always tweak it with a hat jack for example, or put something behind the sweatband if it's too big.

The size thing is kinda funny. The first fedora I ever bought was brand new in the early 90's from the last Jewish Haberdasher on Spadina Ave in Toronto. He was in his 80's and I had my hair much longer than I do now. He spent a good 2 hours with me and I came away with a dark charcoal Biltmore Royal in a size 7⅛ Jump to a few months ago and my second fedora purchase a grey Mallory circa mid - late 60's also in a 7⅛. Now both of these hats fit the same -just a little loose.
Before I purchased the Malory I measured my head and found that it is 56.5 cm, 22¼". My next hat was a vinage Biltmore from approx the same period as the Malory, but in a size 7. Now I can wear it bUT it is definitely a 'snug-fit'.
Now this Dobbs is marked as a 7, but fits me between the two 7⅛ hats and the 7. In otherworldly where my fist 2 hats(both 7⅛) are a little loose and my third hat (7) is a little snug this Dobbs (7) is a perfect fit.
So I'm not sure what all this means other than it's best to try a hat on before you buy if at all possible, but thre you hve it.
Welcome aboard Chaz. Size.. at least marked size can me an inexact art. I have hats that are marked between 6 3/4 and 7 1/4 that have all fit.... And some 7 1/8 that were too big.

Before I purchased the Malory I measured my head and found that it is 56.5 cm, 22¼". My next hat was a vinage Biltmore from approx the same period as the Malory, but in a size 7. Now I can wear it BUT it is definitely a 'snug-fit'.
Now this Dobbs is marked as a 7, but fits me between the two 7⅛ hats and the 7. In other words, where my fist 2 hats(both 7⅛) are a little loose and my third hat (7) is a little snug this Dobbs (7) is a perfect fit.
So I'm not sure what all this means other than it's best to try a hat on before you buy if at all possible. So there you have it, all that reaing for the most common sense and banal revelation.

I have a 7 1/2 Knox that fits fine, and a Borsalino in 8 (64cm!) that also fits fine. That’s five sizes of hats that fit me properly! It’s hit and miss if most westerns in 7 5/8 fit me me, but the odds go up if it’s a long oval or extra long oval. Vintage fedoras in 7 5/8 almost always fit, but 7 3/4 do ALWAYS fit. I’ve had three hats in 7 7/8 that were too big and a couple that fit fine. Borsalino is the only brand where a size 8 has fit me. Buying online really is just an educated guess.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I have a 7 1/2 Knox that fits fine, and a Borsalino in 8 (64cm!) that also fits fine. That’s five sizes of hats that fit me properly! It’s hit and miss if most westerns in 7 5/8 fit me me, but the odds go up if it’s a long oval or extra long oval. Vintage fedoras in 7 5/8 almost always fit, but 7 3/4 do ALWAYS fit. I’ve had three hats in 7 7/8 that were too big and a couple that fit fine. Borsalino is the only brand where a size 8 has fit me. Buying online really is just an educated guess.
+ 1

So true Brent!

Chaz

New in Town
20220525_143951.jpg

Don't know if it's preferred or not, but the first pic was the hat on my desk in my classroom, so here is a pic of my reflection in the bathroom mirror wearing it. And yes I wear jacket and tie everyday, usually with a waistcoat (vest), however I almost never wear a suit.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 428746
Don't know if it's preferred or not, but the first pic was the hat on my desk in my classroom, so here is a pic of my reflection in the bathroom mirror wearing it. And yes I wear jacket and tie everyday, usually with a waistcoat (vest), however I almost never wear a suit.
Looks very good on you, Chaz. Great bronze colours in the felt and ribbon.

You're not the only one who dresses each day like that. Sometimes, I drop the tie. Sometimes, the waistcoat. But always a jacket, Sometimes a suit.

Here's my recently acquired Resistol Pace-Setter. Too warm in the garden for a jacket :)

20220521_190639.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana