Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A few days ago there was the last of the sun and I took the opportunity to wear this blue Barbisio.
BIndosso B.jpg
It's certainly the shiniest of the blue felt Barbiso's I've bought in recent months and it's also my favorite
BIndosso 1.jpg
I am here outside the walls of Verona to the west and behind me you can see part of the moat that surrounded them
BIndosso E.jpg

Now the sun is gone and greys days came to carry the end of the year with, maybe a new hat?
BIndosso D.jpg
Have anice day and my compliments for all the hats you show in this cold winter on the other side of the Ocena.

Very nice tribute to your dad, Bob. My condolences as well.

My prayers are with you, too, Bob.
Sorry for your father’s passing. I’ll have it to go through all too soon as my Dad turned 89 this December.

Nice hamburg, but even more without a funeral.
I'm sorry you lost your father. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family

Thanks Perry, Randall and Daniele.

I forgot to get a pic, but today for Dad's interment in the National Cemetery I wore a dark blue The Stetson Special, a vintage necktie in R/W/B and a 1934 Chicago World's Fair tie bar (Dad grew up in Oak Park, IL).

33352257995_9c4af960f5_z.jpg

33352257565_d7406b4902_z.jpg

My grandparents lived in Oak Park, on South Kenilworth Avenue, near Jackson Boulevard.

I think the address in Oak Park was 924 Madison St. Previously they had lived at 6853 S. Parnell St. in Chicago.

Bob, sorry you lost your Pops. I know that grief, things unsaid, things undone. It sounds like he had a long and full life.
My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
B

Thanks Bowen. I know that I had lots of questions for Dad in the last few years that he could not answer.

Thanks David. We sort of feel like we "lost" Dad years ago and his body finally caught up. Once we get past today we can return to the usual stress (still trying to get a septic system in at the farm -- we fired our plumber once he installed the tank uphill from the house and expected us to pay for half of resetting the tank and for me to travel 70 miles to rent and haul a bigger backhoe) We are also waiting for a frozen pipe in the well house to thaw and, on Tuesday, we replaced the propane line ($400 later) as our neighbor who is doing the dirt work went just a "little" too deep when trying to relocate a frozen pile of dirt so the 8,600 pound concrete tank can get yanked out of the ground again. The new plumber (who actually knows what a transit is) will be here tomorrow. We will be paying more, but at this point I think it is worth it. We've been dealing with this since just after Thanksgiving.

I lost my mother almost 10 years ago to alzheimer's. While broken hearted to lose her, it was a relief for her and for all who loved her. I felt a little guilty for my feelings at first, but I realized I’d been grieving her loss for the proceeding 12 years. God bless you and your family.

I lost my mother almost 10 years ago to alzheimer's. While broken hearted to lose her, it was a relief for her and for all who loved her. I felt a little guilty for my feelings at first, but I realized I’d been grieving her loss for the proceeding 12 years. God bless you and your family.

Thanks Brent. I had the same feelings.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
Holy smokes—awful news! Wishing you a speedy recovery. That hat is going to get you through this thing!
Thank you this hat has taken on a lot of meaning for me through all of this.
Dang son! Wishing you a quick recovery and a lifelong enjoyment of the new hip. Kudos for keeping your hat on.
Thank you!
That’s a high price for a cool story. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.
No joke! And thanks!
I’m sorry to hear that happened to you Gary. Glad to hear they will build you back stronger. And at least you got the great story for the How Do Folks React to your hats thread. Hope all goes well with the surgery and recovery.
Oh yeah people are even asking about it here in the hospital. Thank you!
Geepers creeper! That is a terrible accident. My wishes for a successful replacement and recovery are heading your direction this evening. Thinking of you and living careful and strong tonight in my northern neighborhood.

Best wishes sir, Eric -
Thanks!
That is tough Gary, but I can tell you that if you follow medical advice you will be up and about in no time at all. My own hip replacement was about two years before Covid. My post operation recovery was in a small single bed ward. My bladder was screaming at me, the effort that it took, even with two crutches, to reach the bathroom. Honestly, I thought that I might wet myself before getting there.

Two days later I was walking out of the hospital wearing my Stetson Sovereign that my lovely lady had thoughtfully brought along.

Every so often my hip will ache, it's more down to age than recovery, but using a cane helps. My wife joked about the cane, dubbed it Michael, as in, Michael Caine.

Following surgery I had to attend the outpatients clinic, there I saw my hip on the surgeon's computer. "Can I have a copy of that?" I asked. "Give me your phone number," he replied. Next thing my phone went 'ping' and this is what was on the screen.

My surgeon was definitely old school, there was a rather smart stingy brim on the coat stand. "You wear a hat," I said, "not as big as your's," he replied with a smile, looking at my Sovereign.
Just take your recovery one day at a time Gary and don't forget to use your support. Wishing you well.
Thank you and I made sure they helped me do a trial run to the bathroom with a walker before it became an emergency. Thanks for sharing that!
Hoping for a speedy recovery!!!!
Thank you!
Ouch! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks!

Well, I just wanted to report that I made it through the surgery with a brand new hip. It’ll be a bit of effort over the next weeks for recovery but I already feel much better than before the surgery this morning.

I’m thankful we live in a time that these surgeries exist. Some things are better not vintage! I’m also thankful for my wife and daughter who have been making sure I’m comfortable!

Thanks guys for the nice comments and reactions.

547B6E14-09A7-44B8-B0F2-779B8EBBCF95.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you this hat has taken on a lot of meaning for me through all of this.

Thank you!

No joke! And thanks!

Oh yeah people are even asking about it here in the hospital. Thank you!

Thanks!

Thank you and I made sure they helped me do a trial run to the bathroom with a walker before it became an emergency. Thanks for sharing that!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Well, I just wanted to report that I made it through the surgery with a brand new hip. It’ll be a bit of effort over the next weeks for recovery but I already feel much better than before the surgery this morning.

I’m thankful we live in a time that these surgeries exist. Some things are better not vintage! I’m also thankful for my wife and daughter who have been making sure I’m comfortable!

Thanks guys for the nice comments and reactions.

View attachment 476790
Looking good already, Gary. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Your photo jogged an almost forgotten reminisce. My grandfather wore, what he called a trilby hat, but I now know that it was a fedora. We have some old black & white photos of grandfather in his hat, but is it not always the way, I cannot find them.

What jogged the memory is that my grandfather would place his hat on a figurine on top of the radio. He always said that coat hooks could distort the shape of the hat crown.

I can't find the photos but I do have that radio, so in grandfather's memory, this my choice of hat for the New Year dinner/dance that we are going to.

View attachment 476514 View attachment 476517
I like that radio! What's the make?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points