Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Playboy
75601A41-7F5B-43D5-A0BE-8EBD7AFBC91A.jpeg

View attachment 504347 View attachment 504348
Resistol - Beaver 15 - Medium Taupe
Beautiful Kitten Finish Medium Taupe felt
Approx 5 3/4 open crown - 5 1/8 as shaped
1 3/4 Antiqued Pewter Grosgrain Ribbon
2 5/8 brim with hand felted edge
Wind Trolley

Here is the first of two Resistol Beaver 15 in Kitten Finish that arrived off of much appreciated tips by @Randall Renshaw and @BobHufford . I have one other Resistol Beaver 15 Kitten Finish fedora from this era that came to me in nearly mint condition and remains one of my “special occasion” kind of hats. My experience with that hat led me to the conclusion that you do not want to pass these up when they come your way at a fair price.

Both of these hats arrived and appear to have been stored open crowned for some time and needed nothing more really than a brushing. As clean as they appeared.. I brushed out a huge cloud of dust that had accumulated in the felt. The felt is a beautiful light to medium taupe (grey/brown) that has an incredible hand to it and molds like soft butter. Just a fingertip guides the felt into shape but somehow remains very obedient. The antiqued pewter to medium brown grosgrain ribbon provides a beautiful contrast to the light colored felt and the generous 2 5/8 brim is finished (or should I say started) with a luxurious hand felted (Cavanagh) edge. Contrary to what I thought I saw in the sellers photos… the liner tip protector is in fact the oil skin variety as opposed to a clear plastic. A few tiny pin point blemishes here and there along with the size tag broken off are about the only imperfections on this hat.

Even though I remember my previous Resistol Beaver 15 to be quite special… I don’t remember the felt having quite the quality of this one. I Will have to pull that one out and compare soon.

I would put this Fifteen dollar hat up against any Twenty I have handled from Dobbs or Knox. No slouches in their own right. More than likely, I’d choose this hat quite handily.

View attachment 504349 View attachment 504350 View attachment 504351 View attachment 504352
Joe, that's a beauty.

849732FF-B443-4C61-856A-AD39F33C7B20.jpeg
CD1FCB00-249B-4ADB-9BEF-3F716CC5C803.jpeg

Resistol - Beaver 15 - Silver Grey
Beautiful Kitten Finish Light Silver felt
Approx 5 3/4 open crown - 5 1/8 as shaped
1 3/4 Matching Silver Grosgrain Ribbon
2 5/8 brim with hand felted edge

The second Resistol Beaver 15 is a beautiful light silver grey felt in kitten Finish and a matching silver grosgrain ribbon. Most of the specs are the same as yesterday’s taupe one… sans the wind trolley. However I do feel like I can discern a difference in the felt qualities. While this felt also shapes with great ease… it doesn’t seem to be quite as malleable and not quite as soft in hand. Don’t get me wrong… I’m probably splitting hairs. But I have to give the first hat a slight edge on the felt quality. This one also does in fact have the clear plastic liner tip instead of the oil skin.

Those very minor differences aside. It is one beautiful very high quality hat.

Thanks again go out to Bob and Randall on the assist On these two fabulous Resistol

0158266B-4BA9-4539-8879-1C67595BF1F1.jpeg
E82950D6-5C05-4E38-9ED0-77F6D569A2AA.jpeg
AFBAFF66-5AE3-4127-8AEF-6A8311E8FE2F.jpeg
C29F58D3-F7D4-4067-B7E2-5A07E788F86E.jpeg
311977C0-36C7-4746-A16C-F7F04C4CBA13.jpeg
0CD96FB8-1EEF-461E-9E46-EA4EB4FD84CC.jpeg

Granville

One of the Regulars
Turning over the hats stashed in the front closet, moving the ones I've worn all winter into storage and bringing out the hats I'll be wearing now that the weather's warming up. Gives me a reason to post here again. This is the Selentino Rose.
IMG_1680.JPG

I lowered the crown, especially in the back, and made it a teardrop. Now your trilby-loving scribe feels a little less like Curious George's keeper.

IMG_1691.JPG

I still need to put on my winter jacket some mornings, so I've put my Royal Stetson Trilby into the mix. Contrast the two photos below to notice how it can be either black or green, depending on the light.
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG

And here's the Warwick - "Bench Made" - my favorite, back in action.
IMG_1716.JPG

WarwickLabel.jpg

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Three home runs, Jonathan. You should come around more often. I’m also coveting your leather jackets, but that’s a rabbit hole I’m trying hard to avoid going down.

Great hat and jacket pairings Jonathan! Not a dog in the bunch. Come hang with us more often!

Very cool hats, but those *Jackets*!

Jonathan.... you KNOW you need a Langlitz Columbia cross zip for that No.1, right??
B

Great to see you around Jonathan. I’m not sure what is more amazing... the color on that GP… or how well it goes with your jackets!

Another endorsement of those fine jackets here. I actually have a couple and I agree, they can get addictive. A made to measure suit can be had for less.
The hats & jackets compliment one another, perfectly. Compliments to you.

Excellent hats and jackets, Jonathan. Good to see you posting!

Perfect trifecta of hats and jackets, Jonathan. That Gay Prince: however, is the show stopper!

Missed your posts, dude.

As always, you rock those wonderful hats, Jonathan.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words but like the Ghost of Christmas Present my time here is short. This sandbox ain't big enough and I just pollute it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran