Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

IMG_20230706_174552591_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230706_174521270_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Dobbs Fifteen - 1940s
Soft Moldable Medium Grey Felt
4 1/2 Crown as shaped (5 1/2 open)
1 1/4 Light Silver Ribbon
2 3/4 brim with Bound edge

This Dobbs Fifteen was one super dirty (and rather pungent) hat upon its arrival. I was kinda surprised as I couldn’t detect the dirt in the seller photos… really only appeared to be misshapen and I guess what I thought was shadows and crevices was soiled areas. Heavy brushing did not do much to help rid the dirt. So I went after it with a damp rag and a bowl of water with a little Dawn dish detergent. I Scrubbed the entirety of the exposed areas of the felt and the ribbon. It seemed to help a lot… as I can’t so much tell where the dirty areas were. Steam and a whole lot of sunshine helped to curb the smell and whip it into shape.

The felt is the soft, thin and moldable felt we’ve come associate with 1940s. It is a medium grey with subtle blue or green tones depending on light. The 1 1/4 silver ribbon is not typical of the ribbon materials I am used to. It has a texture to it and is very soft to the touch. The 2 3/4 brim is bound with sort of lavender grey grosgrain binding. The liner is extremely dirty… but I can make out some remnants of the gold Dobbs Roundel tip. The sweat was super dirty and flattened out.. I cleaned that up and lubricated the leather with some MCT oil which really seemed to help soften it up. Under the sweat, I did find a 1940s HCA manufacturing tag. All and all… I’d say this was probably a heck of a nice hat in its day.

IMG_4097.jpeg
IMG_20230706_174229265_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230706_174206507_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230706_174041531_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_4099.jpeg
IMG_4098.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
View attachment 530655 View attachment 530656

Dobbs Fifteen - 1940s
Soft Moldable Medium Grey Felt
4 1/2 Crown as shaped (5 1/2 open)
1 1/4 Light Silver Ribbon
2 3/4 brim with Bound edge

This Dobbs Fifteen was one super dirty (and rather pungent) hat upon its arrival. I was kinda surprised as I couldn’t detect the dirt in the seller photos… really only appeared to be misshapen and I guess what I thought was shadows and crevices was soiled areas. Heavy brushing did not do much to help rid the dirt. So I went after it with a damp rag and a bowl of water with a little Dawn dish detergent. I Scrubbed the entirety of the exposed areas of the felt and the ribbon. It seemed to help a lot… as I can’t so much tell where the dirty areas were. Steam and a whole lot of sunshine helped to curb the smell and whip it into shape.

The felt is the soft, thin and moldable felt we’ve come associate with 1940s. It is a medium grey with subtle blue or green tones depending on light. The 1 1/4 silver ribbon is not typical of the ribbon materials I am used to. It has a texture to it and is very soft to the touch. The 2 3/4 brim is bound with sort of lavender grey grosgrain binding. The liner is extremely dirty… but I can make out some remnants of the gold Dobbs Roundel tip. The sweat was super dirty and flattened out.. I cleaned that up and lubricated the leather with some MCT oil which really seemed to help soften it up. Under the sweat, I did find a 1940s HCA manufacturing tag. All and all… I’d say this was probably a heck of a nice hat in its day.

View attachment 530657 View attachment 530658 View attachment 530659 View attachment 530660 View attachment 530661 View attachment 530662
It’s a beautiful hat and worth the effort.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
Hiding away at the pond recently, and perfect weather allows for the wearing of the finest. So why not? This is a PHD Special Reserve, specially commissioned to wear at my eldest daughter’s wedding in 2013. It was an outdoor ceremony under the threat of light rain. So, In order to prevent the rain, I left the hat back in our room feeling secure in the fact that if I had worn it, there would have been rain. Logical, eh?!
The hat was finished by the late master hatter Vince Corvelli of Bethesda, Maryland.
IMG_7903.jpeg
IMG_7909.jpeg
IMG_7911.jpeg
IMG_7902.jpeg
IMG_7912.jpeg
IMG_7898.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg
IMG_7916.jpeg
IMG_7918.jpeg
IMG_7888.jpeg

Hiding away at the pond recently, and perfect weather allows for the wearing of the finest. So why not? This is a PHD Special Reserve, specially commissioned to wear at my eldest daughter’s wedding in 2013. It was an outdoor ceremony under the threat of light rain. So, In order to prevent the rain, I left the hat back in our room feeling secure in the fact that if I had worn it, there would have been rain. Logical, eh?!
The hat was finished by the late master hatter Vince Corvelli of Bethesda, Maryland.
View attachment 530739 View attachment 530740 View attachment 530741 View attachment 530742 View attachment 530743 View attachment 530744 View attachment 530745 View attachment 530746 View attachment 530747 View attachment 530748
Great hat Charlie. I concur with your rain reasoning.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday afternoon I was back at our local hardware store. I wore a Newt panama. I am at the retail store enough that they know my name and see my hats often. They hardware expert and counter person commented favorably on the panama.

i-8QJpgX9-M.jpg

i-WHjwbGM-M.jpg

After all the yard chores I could muster were completed I enjoyed some cold press coffee under the brim of a PHD panama.

i-Bfw3tWG-M.jpg

i-9zqBvbs-M.jpg

In the evening I switched to a VS panama to visit the neighbors on the dock.

i-HqTQQ9v-M.jpg

i-ZqTFQLL-M.jpg

i-RQCvxQZ-M.jpg

i-Z5b8nbw-M.jpg

A late dinner in the glorious cooler summer weather had me sport'n a Stetson Fifteen.

i-zhSZPVm-M.jpg

A hearty dinner hit the spot.

i-6vSszCR-M.jpg

It has a Mode Edge treatment.

i-jZxZ6JM-M.jpg

This mornings walkabout was taken under the brim of a Stetson Bantam. I love today's cooler morning temps (58'f).

i-wqjQp7p-M.jpg

i-9XT93p2-M.jpg

i-cmBC9tf-M.jpg

Car wash and a run to pick up coffee had me wearing a VS in sage green. This Stetson Stratoliner inspired hat is a fav.

i-wBVfrrk-M.jpg

i-fQrWmp4-M.jpg

Chores commenced while I was wearing a Gannon Wanderer (blue with charcoal trimming).

i-w9Q7Vv2-M.jpg

i-DknHhgp-M.jpg

I showcase that I wear my hats. Today I wore my Gannon hard enough to sweat through the leather sweat in a couple places. You can see this to be true in the below pic. I wipe everything down, condition the leather and leave the hat to air dry. I will re-fold the brim and place it on a block and steam it (with other hats) in a couple days.

i-ZmL38B4-M.jpg

The hat should be good for the next adventure shortly.

It has warmer up to nearly 68'f (20'c) and I have switched to a Sunbody palm straw hat to move some black dirt. Shortly after this pic I soaked the hat with water from the yard hose and started my task.

i-fKJjQjR-M.jpg

Cheers to all thread posters and readers, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou