Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Oooh that’s nice, Bob! I assume the felt is gray but it has a greenish hue in the sunlight on my screen. It’s a good looker.

Thanks Reggie! It does have green tones, but they are a bit hard to capture.

1699713066102.jpeg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your appreciation on the Guerra hat in furry grey.
Today its brother with a completely different felt finish
Guerra Cashmere 1.jpg
Guerra 1855 Cashmere, size 60 cm or 6 1/2 French or 7 1/2 in the USA. with the felt finished with a "peach" surface.
The felt is very thin and the weight is minimal.
Guerra Cashmere 3.jpg
The ribbon is made of the same material so the result is tone on tone hat.
The hat comes, like its brother, from the remnants of a hat shop in my city, new and with a tag.
Guerra Cashmere 5.jpg
The internal finishes are different, the sweatband is in fabric and the hat is unlined.
The measurements are: brims at 6.5cm with the crown open at 14cm and the ribbon is 1cm high.
Guerra Cashmere 4.jpg
There were some splendid colors of this hat on the market a few years ago, including an exquisite dark red/amaranth, but I have not been able to track it down until now.
Soon two curiosities of Italian hat making.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Max, as I have already said in other posts and here I repeat, Borsalino had no classification given by names or abbreviations of the hats. In modern times the only tangible classification is given by the mixture of fur for special felt (vicuna, beaver, cervelt, guanaco) and by the denomination "Marengo" for the second price range hats. In the past it was the price that determined the quality of the hat, according to its construction, felt and shape. Therefore the words found in the linings of ancient Borsalino or a recent past do not say anything at all. For the American market, marketing strategies have been developed to give the buyer a foothold in the market that American competitors had saturated with names, acronyms and captions for their hats. I have Borsalino marked "Trionfo" that are the opposite of each other like shape, felt and finish and so on for all the denominations that Borsalino has given over the years to his hats. "SuperTrionfo" is one of the variations of the marketing strategies implemented in the past for the American market. As you can see from the Borsalino hats I wear, I never mention what is written on the lining or sweatband, but only the color and the type of hat that is one of the mysteries of Borsalino, because with the same wording there are hats of obvious different shape. Borsalino, like the other Italian producers has always made hats that spoke, for good or bad, for themselves, none of us asks the shopkeeper for a Borsalino such, but simply a Borsalino, no matter what is written inside or outside.
Hi Daniele, so what is the difference in the modern Marengo Fur?
I know my Marengo has no lining and a cloth sweatband. But does the second price point mean a different felt aswell?

I used this hat in Southside Turkey on the Med this Summer. We had record degree temps this Summer and this Borso was actually cooler than my Panama which has a leather sweat. It was the only brimmed hat I could wear, and it actually kept the heat off of the top of my head.

When it first arrived I was bummed that it didn't have a lining and leather sweat, but quickly I became very happy about it.

Have you handled any of these Marengo hats, and seen what type of felts they use... It's easy to shape but will only hold a really tight pinch with some steam. But it will hold it then. IMG_20221227_133659.jpg IMG_20231111_231828.jpg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hey all. I have been a little lazy about posting my daily hat pics, so in the spirt of channeling my inner Stefan Stuer here are a few hats from the past couple of weeks.

Borsalino Bellagio in Navy View attachment 559593 View attachment 559592

Kings Lane by Knox View attachment 559595

View attachment 559596

Gannon Hat Co.
View attachment 559597
View attachment 559598 View attachment 559599

JJ Hat Center House brand Velour made by Roche

View attachment 559600

Biltmore Rosellini
View attachment 559603 View attachment 559605
You may not post that often, Reggie, but when you do, you do it in style.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

The Shoe

One Too Many
As always, Gary, you both look great in your hats and fine ensemble.

Love that Rancher. I've paid my deposit down for my Hornskov, but can't decide which one. I may have to revist the Ranchers.
Thanks, Steve.
To be honest, I’ve had a hard time falling in love with this one. I never felt comfortable in the original cattleman crease, so changed it to what you see in yesterday’s photos.
Still not happy, I decided to try giving it a telescope crease. I don’t have a block, so I used my bowler to push it in evenly on the top, then pushed the bubble back out as best I could by hand. The taper prevents It from looking quite like I had hoped, and I still felt uncomfortable with the dead flat brim, so I gave it a bit of curve at the sides.
I think I’ll feel more comfortable with it as it is now (maybe with some refining). I want to love it, because I do love the stone felt & dusty rose ribbon colour combination.
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg

In the eBay thread there was a discussion about the Stetson Mode Edge and a question was raised about a Silverbelly ME. I posted one example of a Sovereign Twenty. In the true color sense I guess it’s really more of a light beige and without a Stetson color chart, i tend to shovel anything close into the SB pile.

I’m pretty sure this one would have been listed and sold as SB. CAN 7X CB ME.
IMG_3813.jpeg
IMG_3814.jpeg
IMG_3815.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg
IMG_3817.jpeg
IMG_3818.jpeg

RBH

Bartender
In the eBay thread there was a discussion about the Stetson Mode Edge and a question was raised about a Silverbelly ME. I posted one example of a Sovereign Twenty. In the true color sense I guess it’s really more of a light beige and without a Stetson color chart, i tend to shovel anything close into the SB pile.

I’m pretty sure this one would have been listed and sold as SB. CAN 7X CB ME.
View attachment 559823 View attachment 559824 View attachment 559825 View attachment 559826 View attachment 559827 View attachment 559828

Now.... that....is a HAT!!!!!

img_3821-jpeg.559826

What is the brim width and crown height as creased?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve.
To be honest, I’ve had a hard time falling in love with this one. I never felt comfortable in the original cattleman crease, so changed it to what you see in yesterday’s photos.
Still not happy, I decided to try giving it a telescope crease. I don’t have a block, so I used my bowler to push it in evenly on the top, then pushed the bubble back out as best I could by hand. The taper prevents It from looking quite like I had hoped, and I still felt uncomfortable with the dead flat brim, so I gave it a bit of curve at the sides.
I think I’ll feel more comfortable with it as it is now (maybe with some refining). I want to love it, because I do love the stone felt & dusty rose ribbon colour combination. View attachment 559785 View attachment 559786
Damn. Now, I'm back to square one re choosing my Hornskov.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy