Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a Lady?

indyjim

Familiar Face
Maybe I should rephrase. There are two things I don't care to SEE on a lady.
Not that you can't be one with them, as was pointed out. They just don't do anything for me. I recently photographed a bride, whom I had not met before the wedding. I could not believe my eyes! Her arms were covered with tattoos, and not just nicely done, dainty artwork. They were huge, hideous and very visible. (She asked me if they could be retouched in the photos) Nice girl, but
I don't know what she was thinking.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
indyjim said:
...I don't know what she was thinking.
Answer: She wasn't - not beyond the next few days anyway. What might look "cool" and "trendy" on a 19 year old will look very different on a 50 year old. Kids will accept and embrace tattoos and piercings and other forms of self-inflicted graffitti, but once maturity sets in, the message is "this person doesn't consider long term consequences". The "Live for Today" mantra might sound appealing, but it sure lacks in wisdom.

Remember the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman"? The D.I. gets in the guy's face and says "Officers don't have tattoos. Enjoy it though - it's the only set of wings you'll ever wear." The plot, of course, proved that wrong, but the point is still correct. You will seldom find people in positions of responsibility and authority with visible tattoos. Tattoos are there to make a statement, and the statement is not one of wisdom and responsibility.

Just my opinion, of course.

Good day and God Bless.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
"Graffiti"? Hardly.

Perhaps I'm a tad biased here, but I find some of this prejudice against tattoos somewhat obtuse.
There's a decades-old saying in the tattoo business:
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a toss whether you have a tattoo or not.
I've been working professionally as a tattoo artist for seventeen years, and I've found that saying to be generally correct. Not to say I don't see some of the arguments previously posted as partially correct (I agree that some of the extreme forms of tattooing, for instance: full facial tattoos, are unwise choices and I make a point of not taking on that sort of work).
My clientele has varied depending on where I worked. In the beginning. at street shops, it was mostly blue collar folks and the financially depressed. Cops, firemen, butchers, strippers, bikers, both gangsters and gangstas, and a lot of criminal-types or ex-cons of various sorts. For the past ten years I've been working in private studios by appointment only. I still work on the hard-working blue collar people that I always have, but added to the mix is the gamut of "respectable" people, professionals and gentry. My clients include many lawyers,judges ,doctors, actors, producers, directors, senators, musicians, professional athletes, famous authors, bank presidents, successful painters, princes, distinguished OFFICERS, and graduates of Yale (I do lot a bulldogs), Harvard, Princeton (tigers), Brown, Columbia, Notre Dame, etc. etc etc. Most of these are not impulsive young adults but middle-aged to senior-aged folks who have put a LOT of thought into choosing an image of great signifigance to themselves, and not neccessarily a statement directed in defiance towards the rest of the world. I am confident that many of my clients are of the sort that even the most discerning or conservative members of this forum would find otherwise perfectly respectful, or perhaps even eminent.
As any tattooed person can tell you, you will occasionally encounter holier-than-thou types who just plain shun anyone with even the smallest tattoo, but by far the greater experience of being tattooed is a positive one.
A true lady (or for that matter a true gentleman) would not be so small as to be concerned nor offended by someone else's choice of hair, make-up, shoes, or tattoos. She leaves that to the petty.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Lady : ref - the women of the lounge!

What makes a lady? All that's been said has it validity, but I think a lady can be summed up efficiently, and ultimately exclude nobody on the basis of superficial details. A lady is genuine, never crass, but honest. Posesses inner strength and grace, respects others as they should respect her, and makes no appologies for who she is. In the end, decency, dignity, and strong character say more than a silver bolt through the nose! (or tongue, or whatever)

shindeco

A-List Customer
The first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread was the line in the "Strip Polka" where they say of Queenie (Queen of them all) "She's always a lady, even in pantomime; so she stops, but always just in time!"

It may have been intended as funny but I think there's a lot of truth in it. A lady, in my opinion, can come from any walk of life and do any job. She does what she has to/wants to but never goes too far.

The same applies to gentlemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy