Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I don't know if I am large chested (a 32D), but I usually buy Wacoal because the fit is great. Just recently however, I ponied up a a ridiculous amount of money and bought a Chantelle bra. OMG, I look like a 16 year old teenager, and there is no padding. Well; my chest looks like a 16 year old teenager. :rolleyes: It was so miraculous, I bought a second online when I found a coupon code. They seem to be VERY well made (people say they last forever even with washing them in the machine), and I just made my entire wardrobe look better, so I have rationalized the expense.

Heather

Practically Family
I'm an oddball size (32 C) and I LOVE Wacoal bras! My mother would have a heart attack if she knew how much I spent on a bra. Lol She always told me that it wasn't worth spending a lot of money on them and how evil underwires were.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I'm with both Heather and Jetgirl - I'm a around a 32C but usually end up moving hooks (it's got something to do with how many inches in the back of the band... I don't know) but I love Wacol and Chantelle. The drier is not a friend to Chantelle bras in my experience.

I get fitted and buy one nice one and then scour TJ Maxx, Marshalls, whatever. You can usually get a Wacol there for about 14 by me.

It's funny, because I know other people hate underwires (my mom is totally at the front of that line) but I *love* them, and bras in general! I'm a bit obsessed with foundation garments, but it seems to me if you're going to buy something nice, it should be the thing that makes your shape for everything else!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Heather said:
I'm an oddball size (32 C) and I LOVE Wacoal bras! My mother would have a heart attack if she knew how much I spent on a bra. Lol She always told me that it wasn't worth spending a lot of money on them and how evil underwires were.

Bras are absolutely worth spending a lot of money on. You get what you pay for! They will make your clothes fit better, increase your comfort, and improve the way you look.

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
I am having a heck of a time with stockings. I'm tall, but I'm also a little bit chunky (modern size 16). I bought a couple different stockings that are size D (the biggest the site carried) but they are not doing pleasant things to my thighs. Can we say muffin top?! :eusa_doh: On top of that, they are just not tall enough. So can anyone point me in the direction of some opera length stockings for plus-size girls??

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
roselily said:
Does anyone have a good source? I keep getting odd results when I try to search for them!

Try amerimark.com or shopnational.com. Both have basic cotton or nylon tap pants available with their underwear and/or slips.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Large busted ladies: thoughts on Freya bras? Is the sizing accurate? I just bought on in 34F and it fits amazingly. LIKE A DREAM! I always thought I was a 34DD. Am I one of those women who has been wearing the wrong bra size forever?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I'm not surprised because a lot of people wear too small cups and too big in the band. When I got measured accurately, I went from a 36D to a 34FF- in the UK sizes. I've had luck buying online- the Fantasie ones seem to be consistent in sizing.

Miss_Bella_Hell

texasgirl said:
I'm not surprised because a lot of people wear too small cups and too big in the band. When I got measured accurately, I went from a 36D to a 34FF- in the UK sizes. I've had luck buying online- the Fantasie ones seem to be consistent in sizing.

I think the right one is about a cup size larger than the left one, too, which is a pain in the ass.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Large busted ladies: thoughts on Freya bras? Is the sizing accurate? I just bought on in 34F and it fits amazingly. LIKE A DREAM! I always thought I was a 34DD. Am I one of those women who has been wearing the wrong bra size forever?
I LOVE Freya bras. Be aware that UK sizing is different from US sizing. Make sure you check a site that gives both sizes. Herroom.com gives you a chart so you know which size to buy. When I can afford them, I buy Freyas

Miss_Bella_Hell

kamikat said:
I LOVE Freya bras. Be aware that UK sizing is different from US sizing. Make sure you check a site that gives both sizes. Herroom.com gives you a chart so you know which size to buy. When I can afford them, I buy Freyas

Yeah I looked at that! Apparently I'm a DDDD/G which is completely frightening. But I'm wearing the bra now, and it's both super supportive and really pretty. It's this bra: http://www.herroom.com/Freya-4011-Mischa-Plunge-Balcony-Underwire-Bra.shtml Got it for $30 at Nordstrom Rack.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
That's a very pretty one. Also look for the Rio, it's very comfortable. I have it in 3 colors. Belle Lingerie is a UK seller who carries Freya bras at half the price of US sellers, even after paying for postage. After trying on several different models at a high-end lingerie store to make sure the sizing was consistent,I now buy all of them from Belle Lingerie, unless I find a big sale or time is a factor.

http://stores.ebay.com/BELLE-LINGERIE?_rdc=1

December

One of the Regulars
I got a sports bra from Freya in a 36E and the band is so tight! I kept it, because I needed it badly but I rarely wear it because it hurts so much.

The cups are a bit too small too.

So that would make me about a 38F by their sizing, but I'm a 34F in other shops [huh] I hate buying bras!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Source for low back full length slips?

Does anyone have any sources for long slips with low backs, like you'd wear under 30s evening gowns? I'm in a time crunch and ideally purchasing one new would be best. I thought LeLuxe had them, but I no longer see them on their site.
Thanks much in advance!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Ha! I'm wearing the Freya Rio right now, and LOVE IT! I discovered Fantasie and Freya, and the swimwear line, Footprints, in college, and have NEVER LOOKED BACK. They fit better, support better, look nicer, and hold up longer than anything else I've ever tried. Unfortunately, I've only found one stockist here in Florida, and she charges MSRP, so I usually get them from overseas websites (I've used Figleaves and HerRoom, but there are tons of others), when they're on sale and whatnot. The sizing is very consistent, so I've never had a problem doing this. Someone once told me, "you'll never get good support from a bra company with that name..." I just laughed, because clearly, she'd never looked beyond Playtex. They don't even make my size! I love these bras!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Does Fantasie fit the same as Freya? I've tried Panache and the band was too big and the cup too small in the same size. After returning it and getting one that fit, the shape was awful.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I've had a 15 year love/hate relationship with my bustline, and these have been my results:

Fantasie and Freya are the same company. Freya is marketed to younger, more "fashion forward" women, often at lower price points,and in my experience the sizing has been spot on between the two of them. I like the Fantasie tshirt bras, and Freya for everything else... it just suits my style better, but I order the same size in each and have always been satisfied. I've never liked Panache, and I was under the impression that Goddess was a different company altogether. I also like the shape Aubade gives, but I haven't had any of their bras for a while now. If you really want the OMG WOW factor, however (this is NOT an every day bra for me ;)) I love the Gossard SuperBoost line. Order one band size and one cup size larger (than the Fantasie/Freya sizes, in my experience), and be prepared for men to trip over their own feet. This is just my own experience with modern bras, and please chime in if you feel differently. If you're looking for a more vintage bullet-bra shape, none of these will get you there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21