Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

Little lady

Familiar Face
KittyT: That is good news.
I much prefer FF stockings when I can get it, of course, but the other kind is cheaper. I am not sure what you mean by "a kind that won't slide down". Is there some way to tell, or is it another way of saying, I should make sure it doesn't stretch to do so, but keeps tight?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Little lady said:
I am not sure what you mean by "a kind that won't slide down". Is there some way to tell, or is it another way of saying, I should make sure it doesn't stretch to do so, but keeps tight?

Basically, you just want to steer clear of something that's obviously meant to be seen on a bedroom floor. You also want to avoid too much stretch, though power net isn't a problem. I'd also suggest one that has rows of hooks in the back, rather than a pull-on. Just like for bras, the hooks give you greater flexibility to adjust for weight gain/loss, bloating, "fat/skinny days", etc.

Really the difference you're looking at is
uk_Plain-Red-%206-strap.jpg

VS
sy_lace-suspeder-belt.jpg

In other words, all of the styles you're looking at should be great. I'd stay away from the Christel though - there's absolutely NO reason to spend that much on a garter belt!

Little lady

Familiar Face
Thank you. I do agree the prices the other places are better, but I'm on the smallest side of the other ones, so if they run big, Christel is the only one who has a size 24 instead of 24-26. They even make one in 22, which I haven't seen anywhere else. 24 seems to be hard enough to find.

Edit: Making that kind of statement, I looked through my bookmarked stockings and stuff pages, and found out that Touchables also carries down to 22, and there where some listed at alexis4u with smallest size as 19-26, but some of those where from nylonz, and on their page they are 24/26.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Well, what I wound up doing was cutting the eyelets off of an older bra, and sewing on one row right behind the existing row of eyelets. Worked wonders. Bra that I did it too fits like a dream now.

MissElainey

Familiar Face
Whew!

Puzzicato said:
Yes - it depends whether you are wearing your garters to be taken off fairly quickly! lol If you are planning on wearing stockings all day, wearing your knickers over makes going to the loo so much easier.

Being new, there's a lot of board here to read through. I just want to say to all of you...

THANK YOU for asking and answering the questions I've always had and never asked because I felt like I should have known that. lol
Meg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissElainey said:
THANK YOU for asking and answering the questions I've always had and never asked because I felt like I should have known that. lol

Hey, experts are made, not born! None of this stuff is obvious lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

It seems they have discontinued my beloved Hanes Silk Reflections stockings. I need to buy about 50 billion pair and I can't find them anywhere. :(

Foofoogal

Banned
Just found a box of Flatternit by Huffman hose?

It had a regular pair of stockings but also a lime green pair. That was pearlized. I about screamed.
I have been looking high and low for a pink pair but this will do for now.
I don't think they are made by that company though but just in the box. The box does have neat graphics.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I am wondering if it makes any sense buying Spanx slips instead of regular ones.

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/52262
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/52262

Has anyone tried those?

Lusti Weather said:
Another vote for over, and I've seen many '50s pin-up photos showing knickers over garter belts. So it is both period-correct and sexy!

Do you have any examples? I'd love to see pictures.

Lusti Weather said:
Very bad news for the Cameo Intimates fans; I received an email from them yesterday that they're closing up shop. :( I own bullet bras from Cameo and a couple of other well-known retro lingerie retailers, and the quality of the others couldn't even come close. Looks like I'll be sticking to vintage bullet bras from here on out...

And the search for a nice bullet bra continues.. *sigh*... I guess I will have to look at vintage bras now. I would like to be able to try them on before buying though :(. I hope someone helps Cameo so they can reopen.

Has anyone tried bullet bras byy Stockings and Romance?
http://www.stockingsandromance.co.uk/index.php?/Bullet-Bras/View-all-products.html

MissHannah

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
And the search for a nice bullet bra continues.. *sigh*... I guess I will have to look at vintage bras now. I would like to be able to try them on before buying though :(

You can find deadstock vintage bras easily on Ebay - I get all mine that way as none of the repro versions fit me. The great thing is that they are always pretty cheap - I've never paid more than $12 for one - so if they don't fit it isn't the end of the world and you can sell them on. Size-wise I find I usually have to go down a cup size in vintage bras so that's worth bearing in mind.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Thank you for the advice. That would be 36A for me then? - I guess I have the most average 36B cleavage there is, I can order bras from VS and pretty much every other lingerie retailer and most of them fit very well. I have browsed a few sites and can't find anything in 36A. Any idea what size I should look for?

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
With all of the questions and answers in this thread, now I'm going to go for a proper measuring. Unlike most of you ladies, I'm not "blessed" in the bra department (36A/AA), and I'm SO tired of buying padded or molded bras just because I'm not...top heavy is about the politest way I can think of putting it. I like being small - guys have no choice but to look me in the eye when talking with me lol - but sometimes I can be made to feel "different" when I insist to the sales lady that I do not want padding. What's a woman who's happy with her "little girls" supposed to do? Actually, can anyone suggest a good place to find vintage (1930s/1940s) bra patterns? Etsy perhaps?

Histoire

New in Town
I've been reading through this thread a bit today and am finding myself a bit confused.

Recently on of my best fitting bras started to break. The strap is detaching in the back. I've never had this happen and since it's less than a year old I'm pretty unimpressed with the quality.

So I'm wondering, now that I need to replace a bra does anyone wear bullet or more bullet shaped bras even under modern clothing? I'm new to vintage and I'm looking for a more 40s-50s look.

The What Katie Did Harlow looks beautiful but maybe too pointy? I'm also concerned about buying online. It looks like lots of others are having this reservation. I'm finding many places are vanity sizing bras now and I have no clue what I really am, last time I was fitted at La Senza we came up with 34DD. Thanks for any advice.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hey there, i wear the Triumph Doreen, which is great for a comfortable fit, good support and also gives you that great vintage shape too. I have struggled to find comfort and good fit with bras in the past and this one ticks all the boxes. I couldn't recommend it more. x

MissElainey

Familiar Face
1940's style bras... LARGE?

Would anyone know where I could find a bra for the appropriate silhouette, but in a US 42G? Alas, the girls could benefit from decent support, but most of the retro stuff I see online doesn't go that big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24