Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the name of the style of slacks?

In the 30's and later, young men at University wore ivory to white flannel trousers. Their origin I think were from the cricket slacks they wore at the time. They seemed to be excellent to pair with a DB navy blazer. Is there a name for those slacks? Anyone have a modern source?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John in Covina said:
Is there a name for those slacks?
White flannels. [huh]

John in Covina said:
Their origin I think were from the cricket slacks they wore at the time.
In non-cricket playing America they were commonly worn for tennis, croquet and yachting (where they were most often matched with a blue blazer).

John in Covina said:
Anyone have a modern source?
On another forum this seller received good reviews for their white flannels. Also, I recall RL Polo offering them intermittently as well. And, since Holland & Sherry (among others) still make white flannel you can always have a pair made up.

manton

A-List Customer
An older name for the style is "White ducks," a corruption of doek, which is an older Dutch word for canvas.

They were not flannel, though, but canvas twill, and not dead white but sort of cream or eggshell.

Marty M.

Vendor
manton said:
An older name for the style is "White ducks," a corruption of doek, which is an older Dutch word for canvas.
They were not flannel, though, but canvas twill, and not dead white but sort of cream or eggshell.

Great call Manton. I forgot about that term.
Marty Mathis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy