Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the pleated skirts hiding?!

Avalon

A-List Customer
I am having a devil of a time trying to find the simplest (or so I thought) thing: a black pleated skirt. I've looked high and low, both on and offline, and have come up either empty or with horrid tarty micromini "clubwear". :confused:

If you ladies know of where I can find one - doesn't even have to be 1920s styled, though that'd be a plus - can you please let me know? I don't know how to sew (yet) so making it is out right now.

Thanks! :D

texasgirl

One Too Many
I found a grey wool one on ebay a couple years ago. Cheap too, less than $10 NWT. But I remember when I was looking for one, it was kinda hard to find any. Maybe set up a saved search on ebay? I checked a couple retailers I thought might have some, but I guess they're not "in" right now- like most of the stuff we look for :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
Have you tried "school girl" or "Co-ed" searches? Also what about trying a uniform store. I remember that my high school uniform was a pleated skirt in grey. Perhaps a place like that might have a catalog of styles.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
As a former Catholic school student, I would definitely suggest a school uniform supply company. I remember those skirts being so sturdy and able to stand up to daily wear for a year plus. I've been meaning to find a company to order from.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Thanks ladies! I tried a rudimentary search under "uniforms", but most of the results were for girls' sizes. (I'd need one for each leg. lol ) Still searching when I get more time though!

Avalon

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
what size? length? small pleats, wide pleats?

Size 10 or 12, knee-length, narrow knife-pleats if possible. I'm hunting on eBay as we speak!

My goal is to be able to do the whole 1920s/30s sweater, pleated skirt and saddle shoes/maryjanes look. :)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Avalon said:
My goal is to be able to do the whole 1920s/30s sweater, pleated skirt and saddle shoes/maryjanes look. :)
Mmm sounds dreamy, please post pics when you've found your skirt!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I was at Salvation Army yesterday and there were tons of them in all lengths and sizes! Wish I'd known!

Good luck with your search. If you have a big thrift store near you, it might be worth a stop in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner