Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Shirin

A-List Customer
My user name is an old Persian name that means "sweet" . My husband is Persian and there's an old story titled Farhad and Shirin , its a tragic love story similar to Romeo and Juliet. He "gave" me this name when we got married and now I have it everywhere from user names to email and even had my car plate done that reads " 2shirin" (too sweet)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Shirin said:
My user name is an old Persian name that means "sweet" . My husband is Persian and there's an old story titled Farhad and Shirin , its a tragic love story similar to Romeo and Juliet. He "gave" me this name when we got married and now I have it everywhere from user names to email and even had my car plate done that reads " 2shirin" (too sweet)

How shirin!:eek:

For my user name, see avatar...

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
ladybrettashley said:
Hemingway, of course. I am quite a fan.

And she's a hell of an alter ego to have!
Great username, Lady Brett! I'm a fan as well...wrote my dissertation and later book in part in defense of Lady Brett--in my opinion, Hemingway's women are far more powerful, and often more interesting, than his men. Nice choice!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Billy Strayhorn lyrics...

Just discovered this thread--great reading everyone's inspirations!

My username--jazzncocktails--in part describes two of my favorite pasttimes (obviously).

But when I think of it, I hear Billy Strayhorn's lyrics for "Lush Life," the tune he wrote for Duke Ellington when he was only 16 years old :)eek: ). It's definitive version can be heard on the album "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman," and the lyrics that come to mind are:

"I used to visit all the very gay places,
Those come-what-may places,
Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheel of life,
To get the feel of life,
From jazz and cocktails..."

Listen to Coltrane/Hartman...it's an amazing album, and Hartman's voice isn't heard by enough people! Have fun,
Steve

Odalisque

A-List Customer
jazzncocktails said:
Just discovered this thread--great reading everyone's inspirations!

My username--jazzncocktails--in part describes two of my favorite pasttimes (obviously).

But when I think of it, I hear Billy Strayhorn's lyrics for "Lush Life," the tune he wrote for Duke Ellington when he was only 16 years old :)eek: ). It's definitive version can be heard on the album "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman," and the lyrics that come to mind are:

"I used to visit all the very gay places,
Those come-what-may places,
Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheel of life,
To get the feel of life,
From jazz and cocktails..."

Listen to Coltrane/Hartman...it's an amazing album, and Hartman's voice isn't heard by enough people! Have fun,
Steve

I love this song!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
From a line in a song by the Clash

In the song "Garageland" on the Clash's 1977 debut s/t album the is a line that goes:

I don't wanna hear about what the rich are doing, I don't wanna go to where the rich are going, They think they're so clever, they think they're so right. But the truth is only know by guttersnipes

irb

Familiar Face
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Guttersnipe said:
In the song "Garageland" on the Clash's 1977 debut s/t album the is a line that goes:

I don't wanna hear about what the rich are doing, I don't wanna go to where the rich are going, They think they're so clever, they think they're so right. But the truth is only know by guttersnipes

Hey, that must be where Infocom got the name; the guttersnipe also shows up in Beyond Zork.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
jazzncocktails said:
Great username, Lady Brett! I'm a fan as well...wrote my dissertation and later book in part in defense of Lady Brett--in my opinion, Hemingway's women are far more powerful, and often more interesting, than his men. Nice choice!

Thank you! And that sounds quite interesting - to me, at least! =)

MissWink

New in Town
My username comes from a nickname my mother calls me sometime; "Fröken Flört". That's swedish for "Miss Flirt". I played around with it a bit and thought Miss Wink sounded good and named my retro blog that.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The sigh of midnight trains in empty stations,
Silk stockings tossed aside, dance invitations.
Oh, how the ghost of you clings!
These foolish things remind me of you...

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
My username comes from an aunt who died tragically, young. A drunk driver collided head on with her car, killing my grandmother, and severely injuring my other aunt and her friend.

I've always had an affinity for her. She loved horses, and I think would have been my best friend, had she lived.

This was back in 1963.

Everyone called her Cooky, so my dad, Aunt and uncle, sometimes forget that my business name is of her. :)

Sandi

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt is a fictional lawyer from New York in the Golden Age (1920's - 40's). The author, Arthur Train, who died in 1945 devised Tutt in a series of short stories appearing originally in the Saturday Evening Post. They quickly found their way into a series of books published by Scribners in NY. I have only recently discovered Train's work and my family (as well as fellow train and plane passengers) have to put up with me laughing out loud at the legal antics and eccentric characters that leap out of Train's Tutt stories. So, my FL name is in homage to this great character from the period we all love.

If you're a lawyer out there - and even if you just like a feast of good, witty writing, I commend Tutt to you.

Cheers
Neil

Slytherin

New in Town
ah ah from Harry Potter ! I want to use my usually user name ( Tigerlily-Chan or Tigerlily-San ) but it doesn't work with the forum. So i take Slytherin because it's my favourite house in Harry Potter . I love so much Rogue :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
C-dot is a nickname I've had since I was a kid. It's a shortened version of "Condotta" (my last name, Italian for behaviour).

It's far from cool, but it's unique, and I'm stuck with it anyway lol

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I am a resident on SecondLife and Honda Enoch is my user name there.

The name there is because SecondLife give you a list of last name to choose from (you can make your own) and my brother is on there and uses Enoch as a last name and I like Honda's so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy