Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I took mine from a spoof detective story I wrote, entitled "Slouch-Hat McFace"

I wrote the story a zillion years ago when I was a kid (and not such a good writer) and decided to use it here.

S-H...

Roquentin

New in Town
After a very long period of deliberation I finally settled on the name of the protagonist in Nausea by Sartre, Antoine Roquentin. I got around to reading it a few months ago and I was not disappointed.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
I took mine from the song "On the good ship." had that song stuck in my head, and I couldn't think of any other user names, So I figured why not Lollipop?

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
The Origin of Marvel Goose

It was the ritual first of the quarter meeting at Valdosta State University’s WVVS-FM. Newbies, oldies, and lost souls were scattered across tables, chairs, and bookcases effortlessly affecting insouciant poses. Most of the meeting could be ignored and most of it was. The real reason for attending was the filling of the schedule form that would determine what time you filled the air.

As a definite oldie and member of the staff, I had dibs on my favorite spot so I just scrawled things in a hurry and left.

My job title was production director. That meant that I created the very few taped elements of our free-form college shows. When I reported in to work the next day, I was greeted at the stairs by a staffer.

“Hello, Marvel Goose”, said she. And then she laughed and hopped down the stairs..

Stranger stuff than that happens everyday at any radio station in the nation you care to visit, but I was now forewarned. I entered the office and saw that the new fall schedule had been posted. Checking to make sure that my spot was still mine, I found that it wasn’t. Someone named Marvel Goose had Fridays from 8 to Midnight.

That was close enough to my own name to flag it as a joke. All I needed now was the punch line and it wasn’t long arriving. I heard laughter from the control room and the station manager hopped out.

“New secretary!” he shouted. “She was complaining about this guy called Marvel Goose and his terrible, terrible hand writing. When I saw that it was your form, I told her not to make fun of your name because you’re sensitive about it. Let’s roll with it awhile — Marvel”

I felt sensitive already.

Like most improbable things in life, the name stuck. The secretary became known as Tiny Myra and her only other claim to fame was that she came up with the name “telequest” for the request show that I did on those Friday nights. She got married and had a lot of kids and isn’t as tiny anymore but then, who is…

cptjeff

Practically Family
Mine's one that I made up at a younger age for Star Trek boards, and it's just always been my handle. It's been my e-mail since day one too.

I have at times thought about coming up with something new, but I haven't come up with anything better and like having things consistent from account to account.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
My wife has been using LuLu Lamour as a user name for a while. I read a book called The Modern Gentleman and one of the authors was named Phineas. I thought it sounded good with her online last name and Phineas Lamour was born.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
After mulling it over for quite a spell, I finally decided on a username after my favourite musician, the inimitable (and well dishy) Bunny Berigan! Ay-ay-ay!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Sound bites from movies stick in my head.

One of my favorite movies is the Rosiland Russell version of "Mame". It spans a few favorite time periods, sports some gorgeous costumes and has some zippy one-liners (at least I think so). All I could think of was the song Mame and Vera Charles sing as they reminisce about their days on stage in the chorus...

“I’m a Chu Chin Girl from Chu Chin Chow
” — And how! And how!
“I’d love to chin and chew with you;
“And turn the skies to blue with you;
“And twenty-three skidoo with you!
“Chu chu chee chee chow chow
“And how! And how! And how!”

So, 23SkidooWithYou was chosen. :) I guess I could have been Chu Chin Girl but I could only remember the skidoo part until I looked it up just now.

Very interesting read here :)

Mine is from my (former) location. I lived in Marin County for a number of years and always wanted to live at Hamilton Air Force Base - when I finally got the chance to move there I started using Hamilton Hangar Honey for my email and it went from there.

I've moved now, but maybe someday I'll go back. Even if I don't, how whould people know who I am if I changed my name?

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Wow! so many people have gone to great lengths to come up with neat handles to go by, I feel lazy now because I just shortened my first name and added an initial of my last name...DOOOHH! at least I should be able to remember my handle..right?

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I read a very interesting biography of Bernard de Clairvaux a few years ago. Bernard lived from 1090 – August 20, 1153 and was a Frankish abbot and the primary builder of the reforming Cistercian monastic order. He was one of the most influential theologists in his day and more or less the initiator of the second crusade. He is not at all a very positive character, but a very interesting one. Upon typing the name, I lost the leading d, which left poor St. Bernard misspelled as eClairvaux, instead of deClairvaux :)

find out more about him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_of_Clairvaux

Big_e

Practically Family
My brother and friends called me E or Big_E since high school. Being 5'7, I'm not really all that big so I always use a small e.
Ernest

GreyBadger

New in Town
Well, I started going grey at the fair age of 18. I was dithering about on a climb in the Avon Gorge, Bristol, when 21 or so, when my friend I was climbing with offered the timeless encouragement:

"Get on with it you grey badger-haired *******"

It stuck from then on!

I'm a big fan of dance bands from the 1920s and 30s so I chose the name V.C. Brunswick (Victor C. Brunswick) in honor of the three great record labels of the Golden Era: Victor, Columbia, and Brunswick. I originally created the name for Dismuke's message board. Besides, it does have a certain Golden Era ring to it.

I would love to have used the full name but was limited in the number of characters I could use, hence V.C. Brunswick.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
eClairvaux said:
... Upon typing the name, I lost the leading d, which left poor St. Bernard misspelled as eClairvaux, instead of deClairvaux :)

But fortuitously you've renamed him for the computer age--here in the Lounge he's an "e"-Clairvaux. :D

~Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy